Sign in to follow this  
Michael Starr

Stan Collymore Twitter attacks

Sorry, football related but off topic a bit. I feel really passionately about this. I''ve been subjected to abuse on Twitter before now and it''s horrible. Please do spread the word and support Stan Collymore if you''re on Twitter. This is unacceptable.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25838114

racial, sexual, death threat abuse is not free speech in a stadium or on a street without getting arrested - same applies to twitter.

That its 6 weeks and twitter not supporting the police is where there is a problem. Its less an issue for collymore who can look after himself, more the members of joe public.

a one of tweet might be banter, targeted repeat attacks need handling properly - I think that is the angle here.

Just cowards

Thinking they are Billy Big Horlicks. Like has been said, they wouldn''t do it face to face, so hide behind anonymity.

Pathetic end of the human race.

Thinking that stuff like that ''makes'' them something in this World, is just mind blowing.

[quote user="crabbycanary"]Just cowards

Thinking they are Billy Big Horlicks. Like has been said, they wouldn''t do it face to face, so hide behind anonymity.

Pathetic end of the human race.

Thinking that stuff like that ''makes'' them something in this World, is just mind blowing.[/quote]
That''s about the upshot.  So why does everybody worry about it.
Maybe twatter needs an additional tick to the blue verified tick.  Maybe a pink tw*t tick for verified mongs.

Problem is clear. "Block" doesn''t Block, it mutes, so the attacker can continue reading your feed, attacking your posts, abusing your followers. You just don''t know about it as it''s no longer on your timeline... until you search your @ handle that is.

I did bring up some of Mr Collymores ( all published in the national press) past miss demeanors but they have been deleted.

I in no way endorse or support the threats or racial abuse he has been getting on twitter.

However a Google search of Mr Collymore is interesting.

I''m not condoning death threats or racism etc but did you hear the rant he went on about Suarez.

I was listening to the game on the way back to Essex from Hull game and the way he was going on Suarez had blatantly dived, he was a cheat and should be punished went metal accusing him of all sorts for a good 5-10 minutes.

When I got home and watched MOTD it wasn''t a dive, as Shearer and Murphy both said Guzan was stupid to rush out like that, was Suarez meant to jump out of the way to stop being clipped, it was a penalty.

Think as a broadcaster he needs to look at himself a bit too, but I don''t condone the racism and death threats (calling him a w**ker is ok tho)

I too am disgusted by the targeted abuse - I follow Stan on twitter and this stuff is clogging up my timeline. By all means disagree, call him a dogger (he can''t argue with that) but the other stuff is awful.

The key thing here (and this is a warning to the extremely sensitive but just trying to put some balance) is that the perpetrators (certain fans of a scouse football team) would be the first to go to the press / police if the phrase "always the victims, remember Heysel" was aimed at them on Twitter. 

I do think a large proportion of those who are abusing Collymore are trolls. They are using racist abuse because it is the most obvious thing to use. If Collymore was overweight, for example, I have no doubt that he would suffer similar abuse but with his weight being used. The others (those who are not trolls) are either complete morons or certifiable racists. 
All of them (trolls included) should be banned.

In regards to Collymores past, he doesn''t deny it, he knows he''s made mistakes and I don''t believe he is that person anymore. He also does an awful lot for mental health charities. I don''t always agree with him on football, but he seems a decent enough bloke.

Do you not believe in 2nd chances then Phil (or Ted)?

Also pretty sure he was suffering from mental illness for a good chunk of this part of his life.

[quote user="Paul"]I''m not condoning death threats or racism etc but did you hear the rant he went on about Suarez.

I was listening to the game on the way back to Essex from Hull game and the way he was going on Suarez had blatantly dived, he was a cheat and should be punished went metal accusing him of all sorts for a good 5-10 minutes.

When I got home and watched MOTD it wasn''t a dive, as Shearer and Murphy both said Guzan was stupid to rush out like that, was Suarez meant to jump out of the way to stop being clipped, it was a penalty.

Think as a broadcaster he needs to look at himself a bit too, but I don''t condone the racism and death threats (calling him a w**ker is ok tho)[/quote]

The whole idea of sport especially football is it has differing views and opinions that is what attracts so many people and Stan C is perfectly entitled to his opinion without any threats etc .

It is interesting to note that these threats have obviously come from so called Liverpool fans who want to portray themselves as wonderful fans. I hope those involved are caught and punished and not able to hide behind the web.

As a referee myself in real time I would have given it but having watched the replay it is fairly obvious that Suarez was hardly touched no noticeable deviation in leg or foot and went down like he was shot with no attempt to carry on knowing full well he had pushed the ball away from the goal.

Do not get me wrong Suarez is one of the most gifted players in the league it is pity that all too often he has bent those rules, without TV he would have got away with biting another player!

[quote user="splutcho"]Do you not believe in 2nd chances then Phil (or Ted)?

Also pretty sure he was suffering from mental illness for a good chunk of this part of his life.[/quote]

I think his second chance was at ABC, third chance at Radio 5 and Talksport his fourth chance.

Celebrities and personalities get extra chances, had he been Joe public then I doubt he would have got a second chance after all the scrapes he has been in..

I just think its a bit rich complaining about someone doing something to you when you have done it to others.

Im not condoning the abuse he is getting but calling the penalty an F###ing disgrace on Twitter and ranting about it on Talksport he was bound to bring the haters out.

Honestly, what did he expect to happen?

I think those that racially abused him and threatened him are in the wrong but he must have known he would get a backlash.

I half see where you''re coming from, but if he''s genuinely sorry, I''m all for giving him the benefit of the doubt.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Can''t feel sorry for him myself, his past history shows him to be a bit of a....[/quote]
^^^
This.

Let''s forget it''s Stan Collymore for a moment and look at the REAL issue here. Take a look. This is what Stan Collymore is referring to, it''s not his own problem, it''s a universal problem and affects people every day, even on this forum.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01qcsv3

Looks like his twitter account was removed to day.

Looks like the Sun thought hey he is in the news lets get that exclusive back on.

I am not condoning what he did but his twitter death threats where horrendous and some of the racist stuff on there was really shocking.

If you hit someone and show remorse after and assuming they don''t die or suffer disability mental or physically what is the period of time do you consider your penance?

Did he actually get convicted of anything etc maybe it would have been better to hand himself in and get a sentence or get prosecuted.

You can be an absolute drunk/addict/swine git at 20 and change 20 years later with a wife and kids etc. Yet however with the internet an offence which would get you community service/short sentence becomes a life sentence.