Sign in to follow this  
silver fox

Fleming needs to be replaced for last 2 games

I watched the game again last night and now I am even more convinced that Fleming needs to be replaced for the last 2 games.  He has now taken to charging all over the place in a vain attempt to get the ball or win a tackle, whilst at the same time leaving his fellow defenders to cope.

Goal 1 saw him chasing back from the halfway line forcing Drury to come into the middle to cover leaving Oakley free. Goal 2 saw him almost in the left back position leaving Helveg to try and come across with Crouch.  Goal 3 he made a half hearted attempt to block the shot by turning sideways and sticking his foot out.  Goal 4 he was rooted in the middle of our area marking open space.  I also lost count the number of the times Phillips pulled Fleming almost up to the halfway line, and then left him stranded there.

I know the other defenders should take some of the blame, but you need your CAPTAIN to be there marshalling the defence and leading by example.  Worthy needs to be brave and drop Fleming to the bench and replace him with Charlton for the last 2 games.  He did it before with Drury, but sadly he doesn''t appear to want to do it with Fleming. 

hes rubbish, and hes getting worse, and its costing us

FLEM GO HOME!!!!!!

we need doherty or charlton!

I too agree with everything you say but unfortunatley it wont happen and even if it did it is half or even, dare i say a season too late.

100% spot on. But it wasn''t just yesterday he was partly/mostly responsible for us conceding. He has been out of his depth for the last 10 games or so.

Lovely bloke, loves the club and always gives his all but he''s just not good enough.

I have been thinking, this morning, about what I was going to post about yesterday''s game and your thoughts echo exactly what I was going to say.  I was at the beamback yesterday, where you have the benefit of replays and everything you say is spot on.  For the first goal, people at the time were blaming Drury.  However, you see both Drury and Helveg narrowing the defence to the edge of the "D" to cover for Fleming who went AWOL - it is only when the ball hits the back of the net, that you see Fleming labouring into the picture.  Second goal - what is our right fullback doing having to pick up Crouch on the edge of our 6 yard box, with not a central defender in sight?  Simply covering yet again for you know who.

6 away goals in two games and we have failed to win either (ludicrous) - if we had won these, as we surely should have, we wouldn''t have any worries about staying up by now!  Worthy keeps talking about our failure to defend, but there is a permanent fixture sitting in there (who has played every game this season).  Simply coincidence - I don''t think so.  Fleming - great in the lower leagues, but simply not good enough at the top level and a poorer player than last year.

On the plus side?  If we keep our attack together, the number of goals we could score in "The Championship" could be embarrassing, such is the gulf between the respective leagues!  Strikers are nowhere near as good as in the Premiership though, so we shouldn''t concede anywhere near as many (although if we don''t deal with the problem, I am certain we will try our best to concede!)  

i also agree with wot you have said, but the simple fact remains that he should have been dropped many many games ago not just for the last two!

If or when we get relegated it will 99% be down to our very poor defence yesterday sumed it all up our defence is no where near good enough.

O well we can live in hope for two more games!

fleming gets caught out of poisition because other players not doing there own job ie -hucks not getting back and also francis .

stop going on about fleming being dropped .

we will do it. 

Sorry Latvia, that''s rubbish. The only person who is effected by Hucks not getting back is Drury. As for Francis; he''s the attacking side of a two man central midfield. Are you then suggesting Safri isn''t doing his job?

Fleming is diabolical. It''s as simple as that

I agree with Latvia about Francis.

If you play Hucks and Bentley in midfield then Francis and Safri have to protect the defence, and too often since xmas Francis has disappeared from games.

Half the reason why Fleming keeps getting caught out of position is because the midfield especially Francis aren''t doing their defensive job in front of him.

Totally agree with all you say. Since around Xmas Fleming has been awful. Nice bloke and everything but he is simply not cutting it on the field. Sorry Fleming!

Definately needs a change there, but far too late i fear....

[quote]Totally agree with all you say. Since around Xmas Fleming has been awful. Nice bloke and everything but he is simply not cutting it on the field. Sorry Fleming! Definately needs a change there, but f...[/quote]

It is never too late and a partnership of Shackell and Charlton would be a massive boost for the defence in the last 2 games.  Look what happened when Worthy eventually got round to replacing Holt with Safri.

worthington is too slow to deside things.

If he keeps it up, i bet Flem will play the last two games, no matter how badly he plays..........

[quote]You can be sure Flem will play - it''s Hucks who''s taken the criticism from Worthy for the goals.[/quote]

all the goals came from that side, but they were actually scored in the middle where flem - where flem should have been, not where flem was (taking a cuppa behind the southampton''s goal with the company of a lil butterfly)

None of your will be surprised that I am firmly in the Flem out camp but I seriously cannot see him being dropped now - the time for this was back in Nov; when I first suggested Shacks should partner Charlie.

For once I only have the advantage of limited highlights but all the comments and viewing thegoals shows that flem performed to his seasons norm; too easily dragged out of position, chasing players in pursuit of a ball and sacrificing the defensive shape for a bit of effort which simply leaves too many gaps for fellow defenders to fill. 

However KOL is right that the left and central midfield did not help.  

Goal one - sQaushie strolls through the middle - where is Francis (or safri?)  Flem is out of position again and shacks covering that, leaving drury to do what he had to do - try and stem the run straight on goal.  Hux should have been tracking Oakley back but his striking instinct betrays the team again...

Goal 2 - Hux absent as a ball comes across from the left - Crouch goes up against an ineffective challenge from Flem - remind you of Fergusons, dickovs, hughes goals etc etc etc?   

Goal 3 - A very well worked set piece; rarely come off that well but Le Saux was left free again

Goal 4 - where is the midfield again - Francis and Safri do not react to a ball that drops 15-20 yds outside our box, Helveg reacts but really its the midfields job topick those balls up and close the player down.

Charlie should partner flem, Francis needs to work harder, Drury deserves a proper midfielder in front of her and Hux should be playing alongside ashton.

But we wont see any of that until next season - YET WE CAN STILL SURVIVE - come on you yellows.

OTBC

ime another he is well off the pace of the prem and gets beaten in the air week in week out feels like he has clause in contract i must play every week whether i play rubbish or not. i think docherty would be better with shacks rather than shacks and charlton as both left footed come on worthy lets change for last two games.otbc