Sign in to follow this  
Muffles

Browsing the forums and...

I''ve noticed, unless there''s a huge section I''ve missed, that very few people are posting about our transfer activity, or rather moaning about lack thereof.... this, to me, suggests than on the whole everyone is pretty satisfied with our current squad... what say you?

[quote user="Muffles"]

I''ve noticed, unless there''s a huge section I''ve missed, that very few people are posting about our transfer activity, or rather moaning about lack thereof.... this, to me, suggests than on the whole everyone is pretty satisfied with our current squad... what say you?

[/quote]

Would imagine CH is definitely trying to bring in CB cover, especially now Turner''s injured. I think we could also do with some more cover in the holding role – Tettey is injury prone and BJ, though on decent form of late, isn''t good enough to justify a regular start. And if Wessi goes, hopefully we''ll get a new number 10-style player too. Other than that I think we''ve got enough in the squad to keep us up.

I think we can always add to the squad, but most supporters know that with inflated January price tags we don''t have a necessity to strengthen any area right now... except maybe the management [;)]

It''s because Carl Cort hasn''t been in Asda for a while now

[quote user="Muffles"]

[/quote]I think you answer your own question in the first part, Muffles, because re transfer activity, apart from the loan signing of Gutierrez...well, there hasn''t been any.I don''t really think that it follows at all that we are all completely satisfied with the squad. There is always room for improvement. Very occasionally we even get acceptance on that from the most pro Hughton hardliners.And there seems to be general agreement where the priorities lie. But I guess that most people on this forum (cannot speak for others) are mature and level headed enough to know that there will be some activity in the background, and we do not need kneejerk reactions to every ''rumour'' plastered over the press and media.

I would love this Ciani fella though...but since the Harry Kane debacle , I just don''t want a signing , unless it''s an inspired one...which Harry wasn''t...

I think the guttierez signing was a good one, but I''m not really hoping for more...reality imo

[quote user="lincoln canary"]I think people have just got used to not expecting too much in January. We must be getting to that point in the window when the Craig Mackail smith rumours surface again.[/quote]

That was a funny old night! Dublin wasn''t it broke the story!

I agree with the majority, we do have enough in our squad, but we could always do with more quality and that costs more this time of year! I don''t believe in bringing players in (unless to cover injuries ) to fill a squad as it''s an expensive excersize with no great return. Even loans cost huge sums now in fees.

I agree we need cover at CB and if Wes does leave we need that player with a magic touch to unlock a defence or two......that asdie I think we are pretty well covered now Tettey is back and Howson not too far away! Why waste money on more journeymen pro''s, bring in quality in the summer.

[quote user="Muffles"]

[/quote]

I say there''s nothing wrong with the squad that won''t keep to the summer.  IMO they''re plenty good enough, all that''s needed is for the manager to utilise them better and get more out of them.

We spent millions in the summer and if anything we are worse than last season , i think most people are not worrying much about who comes in because whoever does usually turns into a poor player overnight .

I am expecting maybe one more squad cover style signing and would be delighted with one longer term high profile signing, but that is uinlikely. As for going with what we have got......with everyone back and fit in key positions then I am sure we will see what this squad are capable of, looking back its been a very disruptive season and we have hardly seen any consistency in team selection because of injuries. Sure it happens to most clubs, but our squad is thin and we miss the likes of Tettey, Pilks, Bennett, RVW, Hooper, Snodgrass, Turner and Howson, probably more than some on here realise or want to accept when they are Hughton bashing!     

I think it''s now well understood you struggle to get decent value when signing a player in January so most of us have low expectations.  I do hope we can bring in at least one more player, and I really hope we don''t let Wes or anyone else go to another Prem team - we don''t need the money and shoulnd''t be letting them strengthen at our expense.

And as this thread demonstrates, for some posters it''s all about the manager and they''re not really interested in anything else until he changes, which is going to get very tedious if he''s now here for the rest of the season (as I expect).

I''ll tell you what I am interested in ICF. Norwich City winning football matches. Nothing more. Nothing less.This incinuation that there is a widely constructed witch hunt to get Hughton out as an end in itself is another of the myths made up by the No Changers.Hull was a start, and very welcome it was too. If it is the precursor to a strong upturn in fortunes, then I''m absolutely confident that the anti Hughton stuff will disappear down the tubes. But , if not, then I''m equally confident that the debate will rumble on.

Fair enough Reggie but what I find tedious is a thread about signings in January gets comments like there is no point in signing players because they''ll all become poor under Hughton, or to say that even the most hard line pro-Hughton-ers sometimes accept the squad could be strengthened.  I mean, give it a rest people ! 

I''ve never noticed any connection between whether people are pro- or anti-Hughton and whether they think we need to strenghten the squad or not.  There are plenty of people who are anti-Hughton partly because they think he should be doing better after the signings that were brought in last summer, and pro-Hughton people who think he should get credit for where we are given our squad is weaker than most of the teams around us.

My expectation is that our mixed form will continue for the rest of the season, some good results, some bad, and we''ll do well enough to be safe at the end without getting so far above the drop zone that we can relax until close to the end.  And every time we lose, the forum as usual will erupt with anti-Hughton threads.  Which personally I don''t bother to read any more.

Spot on ICF. If you read the forum the Wes Hoolahan issue has gone from being about Wes because posters have made it about Hughton. There''s always been good debate about when and how we can best use Wes. Very few people ever agree and if you read the threads about team selection from before this all blew up as many posters leave him out as pick him. Now it''s been turned into a Hughton debate where the pros and cons of selecting Wes are no longer debated.