Sign in to follow this  
FenwayFrank

98 year old Maurice and Lil Kemp

Well done to you, to think that Maurice travels up from London for every home game is fantastic, real supporters the pair of you.

He looked pretty fit, the old boy, somehow doubt he posts on here though!

Maurice still goes to work most days as a tour guide at St. Paul''s Cathedral. If not watching Norwich he''ll be found at Barnet during the football season or at either Lords or the Oval during the summer. A real gentleman and someone who really doesn''t understand what all the fuss is about!

Matt Juler wrote the following post at 21/01/2014 9:20 AM:

Maurice still goes to work most days as a tour guide at St. Paul''s Cathedral. If not watching Norwich he''ll be found at Barnet during the football season or at either Lords or the Oval during the summer. A real gentleman and someone who really doesn''t understand what all the fuss is about!

When you have been around as long as he has I am not surprised, there''s plenty we could all learn from people like him.

[quote user="CDMullins"]Is Lil, Lillian? the lovley old little lady, who wears a scarf with so many badges its weighs her down?[/quote]

I am pretty sure it is CDM.

I always remember her from the away games of yesteryear

Whats happened with Maurice?

[quote user="crabbycanary"][quote user="CDMullins"]Is Lil, Lillian? the lovley old little lady, who wears a scarf with so many badges its weighs her down?[/quote]

Whats happened with Maurice?[/quote]Was talking to her at Newcastle away last season, she was telling me a few stories from the past.The best been discharging herself from hospital (Phnumonia) so she could get to Munich!

[quote user="Vanwink"]Matt Juler wrote the following post at 21/01/2014 9:20 AM:

Maurice still goes to work most days as a tour guide at St. Paul''s Cathedral. If not watching Norwich he''ll be found at Barnet during the football season or at either Lords or the Oval during the summer. A real gentleman and someone who really doesn''t understand what all the fuss

When you have been around as long as he has I am not surprised, there''s plenty we could all learn from people like him.[/quote]

Not surprised he''s a tour guide 98 the bugger could have built it!

Seriously though good on the chap must be just about our oldest supporter. Wish him many more years too!

[quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="crabbycanary"][quote user="CDMullins"]Is Lil, Lillian? the lovley old little lady, who wears a scarf with so many badges its weighs her down?[/quote]

Whats happened with Maurice?[/quote]Was talking to her at Newcastle away last season, she was telling me a few stories from the past.The best been discharging herself from hospital (Phnumonia) so she could get to Munich![/quote]She''s one hell of a character is Lil. Always used to go to games with her great friend Pat who sadly passed away some years ago.She came onto the pitch at half-time last Saturday complete with her famous scarf....believe me it weighs a ton !! There''s video footage of her and Maurice on the '' Hull tunnel web-cam '' thread on here ( 5.15 into it.)Got to give a mention to the other lady - who''s name I couldn''t hear - who also came onto the pitch in recognition of attending 1500 consecutive games. That''s over 30 years !! She was accompanied by a young girl who I assumed was her daughter and it was funny watching the youngster go all shy on Maurice when he tried to shake her hand.Great supporters all of them.

Maybe our main sponsor could set up an award for fans like these, they look like they deserve it more than some others.

I had a brief chat with the lady who had attended 1500 consecutive games at Craven Cottage last week and must admit to feeling the need to ''doff the cap'' to some outstanding and superior Yella-ing

Similarly the 98 year old, I''d like to think I''m still attending FCR in fifty five years time, one can only wonder what it might be like?

Seems like an interesting topic of conversation for another thread perhaps, the Carrow Crystal Ball so to speak

Quite agree its people like these that are truly the lifeblood of the club and indeed people like them throughout the land whoever they support

Maurice has certainly seen it all in his time! I bet he has some cracking stories to tell as well. I agree the club should have some kind of recognition all the time for this kind of thing.

Maurice should say if he is Hughton in or out... then we can all accept that!

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="crabbycanary"][quote user="CDMullins"]Is Lil, Lillian? the lovley old little lady, who wears a scarf with so many badges its weighs her down?[/quote]

Whats happened with Maurice?[/quote]Was talking to her at Newcastle away last season, she was telling me a few stories from the past.The best been discharging herself from hospital (Phnumonia) so she could get to Munich![/quote]She''s one hell of a character is Lil. Always used to go to games with her great friend Pat who sadly passed away some years ago.She came onto the pitch at half-time last Saturday complete with her famous scarf....believe me it weighs a ton !! There''s video footage of her and Maurice on the '' Hull tunnel web-cam '' thread on here ( 5.15 into it.)Got to give a mention to the other lady - who''s name I couldn''t hear - who also came onto the pitch in recognition of attending 1500 consecutive games. That''s over 30 years !! She was accompanied by a young girl who I assumed was her daughter and it was funny watching the youngster go all shy on Maurice when he tried to shake her hand.Great supporters all of them.

[/quote]

What you reckon she''sd make of being called "that lovely little old lady" Smith[:^)] LOL

First met Lil, her family and Pat on Mascot coaches well over 40 years ago. Lovely little old lady not! But what a City fan she is!! To this day whenever I travel away she''s there. Sat next to her in the blankets at Watford first time I''d watched a game with Lil since the days we stood behind the goal in the 1972 promotion season. Brought back memories for me. Away games can be hard for Lil because she can''t stand all game. Home gamnes she''s usually in the Nelson after the game. Some weeks I race her down the steps but she always wins. Her grandson Jordan used to post on here but haven''t seen him post for ages.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="crabbycanary"][quote user="CDMullins"]Is Lil, Lillian? the lovley old little lady, who wears a scarf with so many badges its weighs her down?[/quote]

[/quote]

What you reckon she''sd make of being called "that lovely little old lady" Smith[:^)] LOL

First met Lil, her family and Pat on Mascot coaches well over 40 years ago. Lovely little old lady not! But what a City fan she is!! To this day whenever I travel away she''s there. Sat next to her in the blankets at Watford first time I''d watched a game with Lil since the days we stood behind the goal in the 1972 promotion season. Brought back memories for me. Away games can be hard for Lil because she can''t stand all game. Home gamnes she''s usually in the Nelson after the game. Some weeks I race her down the steps but she always wins. Her grandson Jordan used to post on here but haven''t seen him post for ages.

[/quote]Always very kind and curtious when I have met her, something more sinister inside?

Picking up on a point above about how difficult it can be for supporters who need to be seated at away games.

At the FA Cup game at Posh last season I''d gone in the seated area where, for the most part, the support had chosen to sit for the obvious reason, namely they have to.

Predictably their was some Danny Dyer clone who considered it far beneath his well crafted ''Match Day '' persona to respect the fact . However I most impressed that a great number of senior Yellas rounded on this berk and suggested he either sat his arse down or went, like everybody who wanted to stand, in the standing area behind the goal.

Anyway I should divert from these fine Yellas.

Not sinister buddy. But she was very much a 70s football fan which is a completely different fan to the modern day. That''s not a criticism BTW.

When I used to organise the Capital Canaries home travel and I couldn’t get to the game I used to pop round to Maurice’s flat and drop off the train tickets to him so we could take them up to Kings Cross or Liverpool Street. (I only live 15 minutes away from where he lives).

An obvious choice as he was nearly always the first one at the station on Saturday morning, the most organised and was 100% reliable as he didn’t go out to the pub Friday night and turn up late! Not that any of the Capital Canaries ever do this of course.

I think it was @1976 I first met Lil. In those days Norwich away support mainly consisted of the coach she organised and going to games was rough and intimidating but Lilly and Pat always wore those scarves and as young lads gave us all courage to get behind the team when we were so few and segregation usually didn''t exist.

I had some great fun on her coach trips on occasion too, especially the London games and well remember getting drunk in Walthamstow before the bus breaking down at Red Lodge on the way back.

But there was usually a pub stop and we were welcomed wherever we went.

I''m delighted she is still going strong. Supporters like her should feature in the hall of fame along with players. A lot of people might think they should be there too, but I''m setting the bar high with the likes of Lilly and Pat.

I don''t know the other gentleman but he sounds deserving too.

BTW who was the old boy we used to pick up at Fakenham, Billy was it? He was so frail. Then on to pick up Ginger at Wisbech before midland matches.

I sold Dave MacKay''s bingo tickets and my record collection to make these games, but ground entry was cheap. It was a different game then.

They are a fantastic pair and deserve our respect.

I fly down from aberdeen for every home game it costs a fortune in time and money but is worth every penny. We don''t know how lucky we are having such a great club. Haven''t posted on here before but do read regularly.

This thread made me want to join. I notice that certain people on this forum would refer to them as plastics not living in norfolk!

[quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Always very kind and curtious when I have met her, something more sinister inside?[/quote]Nice reminiscences there Nutty. Lil''s not sinister at all but she''s a tough old girl.Back in the day when football hooliganism was at it''s height she gave as good as she got verbally, if not physically. That said I reckon she''s still pretty tasty with that walking stick when needs be......[:D]

I seriously think there should be a supporters Hall of Fame. There are some outstanding stories concerning following our club which beat getting the Aviva fan of the year for sitting behind a laptop finding the cheapest tickets for fans groups whilst boycotting away games and Tweeting our record signing to get on his bike.

Lil''s friend was Pat Howard, she lived on Bowthorpe Road and the Ginger from Wisbeach posts on here. He may not want his name published but he is a Facebook friend of mine. 

Also what about Angus George? I don''t know him, but know he attended a serious amount of consecutive games years ago, and I don''t know if that record has continued/ Anyone know?

[quote user="Scottish canary"]They are a fantastic pair and deserve our respect.

I fly down from aberdeen for every home game it costs a fortune in time and money but is worth every penny. We don''t know how lucky we are having such a great club. Haven''t posted on here before but do read regularly.

This thread made me want to join. I notice that certain people on this forum would refer to them as plastics not living in norfolk![/quote]B*oody hell mate you should be in the Hall of Fame already ( and probably certified with it too.... ) [:D]

[quote user="crabbycanary"]Also what about Angus George? I don''t know him, but know he attended a serious amount of consecutive games years ago, and I don''t know if that record has continued/ Anyone know?[/quote]

Angus George M''Lord! Gets a fair bit of flak, a lot of it from me, but I love the guy! If you''re on his cabbage bus he''ll look after you better than most. Has a dry sense of humour and is great company. I was actually at the game he missed to end the sequence which was Grimsby away, a midweek game where I believe Gus had a family commitment.

Getting to know so many of our fans is a big part of supporting the club for me. On a match day I usually run in to a few for a chat before or after the games and later in the Nelson. And as well as the ones I''ve got to know from travelling away there''s the ones I''ve met through this message board and Rays Funds. They all have a great story to tell and I really do see it as a community or even one big family. That may well make me a tinpot happy clapper but I feckin'' love it! The fans who make such a huge commitment have my respect. I have just a handful of games compared to the ones mentioned on here. They don''t see themselves as better fans though. They just support the team in their way just as others do.

Smithy... what happened to those photos you took when you guested in the blankets??

[quote user="crabbycanary"]Also what about Angus George? I don''t know him, but know he attended a serious amount of consecutive games years ago, and I don''t know if that record has continued/ Anyone know?[/quote]Angus was a regular on Club Cabbage for years and ran up a shed-load of consecutive appearances.We were gobsmacked when, due to unavoidable work committments, he failed to show for our final away game of the season at Newcastle, on a Wednesday night in 1977/8. Subsequent to that he racked up another impressive streak until deliberately '' getting the monkey off his back '' by missing a game at Stamford Bridge I believe.Still a familiar face at most games and definitely a '' nailed-on '' for the '' Supporters Hall of Fame ''.....

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="crabbycanary"]Also what about Angus George? I don''t know him, but know he attended a serious amount of consecutive games years ago, and I don''t know if that record has continued/ Anyone know?[/quote]

Angus George M''Lord! Gets a fair bit of flak, a lot of it from me, but I love the guy! If you''re on his cabbage bus he''ll look after you better than most. Has a dry sense of humour and is great company. I was actually at the game he missed to end the sequence which was Grimsby away, a midweek game where I believe Gus had a family commitment.

Getting to know so many of our fans is a big part of supporting the club for me. On a match day I usually run in to a few for a chat before or after the games and later in the Nelson. And as well as the ones I''ve got to know from travelling away there''s the ones I''ve met through this message board and Rays Funds. They all have a great story to tell and I really do see it as a community or even one big family. That may well make me a tinpot happy clapper but I feckin'' love it! The fans who make such a huge commitment have my respect. I have just a handful of games compared to the ones mentioned on here. They don''t see themselves as better fans though. They just support the team in their way just as others do.

Smithy... what happened to those photos you took when you guested in the blankets??

[/quote]Nutty, if there''s one thing these stupidly long consecutive game runs do is play tricks in our old minds. I know I''m right about the Newcastle no-show as I was there but as you were at Grimsby and I may well not have been who am I to argue ? [:D]Agree with you about Gus. He''s a decent bloke.PS...My blanket photos made it onto the computer but now I need someone to work out how to forward them on. [:$] ( Hope we don''t both die of old age in the meantime.... )

There are others that I see at games, who were regular attendees years ago when I went to away games.

There was Simon, who I think had mild learning difficulties. There was another tall, dark haired, guy who went with his girlfriend, but I have seen him at games recently, sitting in the front row of the City Stand. Another fella who had a limp.

The set of brothers I used to go to a lot of games with, whom one of them I saw at West Brom last season, still doing a lot of games.

I guess Mr Tilson is amongst that crowd of long standing attendees (Kathy as well?)

There are a lot of people who have spent a shed load of money and time, following our great Club.

I doff my cap to you all

That Grimsby game was much later Smithy. Would have been ending a more recent sequence. Gus looks in here but I don''t think he posts otherwise we could hear about the life and times of Angus George from the man himself.

Crabby.. Simon''s still about and I often see him at home and away games when I can go. He has a nickname for most people and one of his favourite lines is "Not dressed as a policeman today Mr Botham..." Talking of Tilly one of my favourite agm memories is engineering Simon sitting next to him a couple of years ago[;)] Saw Simon last week before the game when I saw another great City fan Barty. I think you probably mean the Leggett brothers? Sadly there''s only one now and I see him every home game. Great fans the lot of them!