Sign in to follow this  
Olly

Glenn Whelan

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/whelan-lined-up-for-switch-to-norwich-if-stoke-land-cattermole-29942626.html

Hopefully nothing but a rumour, an atrocious player, getting old and not better than any of our current CM''s.

Dreadful, can only be described as a smart price buy, cheap and does a job of sorts but not very satisfying, please nooooooooooo !

not exactly an inspiring choice. lots of sideways passing, a favorite of trappatoni.........which says it all really. Negatory.

Not convinced. Tettey is nearly back and while it''s clear we need someone to back him up and support Fer when Tettey is absent. Whelan is no upgrade on Johnson. He''s also the wrong side of 30 and unlikely to get any better really.

He can hold his own at Premiership level I guess but he doesn''t really add to what we have in my opinion. Unless Tettey had a setback and was suddenly out for the season I can''t really justify this buy. Strangely enough, Norwich always buy him on Footy Manager though :P

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Hoolahan out, whelan/Guthrie in. You''ve got to laugh really. And still people think Hughton is the right man for the job.[/quote]Perhaps it is all a bit of news management spin from Hoots, because by the standards of Whelan , Chris looks positively like a Barcelona-esque entertainment merchant ?

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Hoolahan out, whelan/Guthrie in. You''ve got to laugh really. And still people think Hughton is the right man for the job.[/quote]

Are you really blaming Hughton for transfer rumours that are probably complete *?

[quote user="Olly"]http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/whelan-lined-up-for-switch-to-norwich-if-stoke-land-cattermole-29942626.html

Hopefully nothing but a rumour, an atrocious player, getting old and not better than any of our current CM''s.[/quote]As a loan to the end of the season, a gritty player to do hard work and grind out wins in case Bradley Johnson is injured would be a good move. Like others, I cannot see him being signed long-term though, or starting regularly if he was signed. A bit more depth to the squad in any position is good. Contrary to what some might claim, we do not have that many defensive midfield battlers - we have Johnson and Tettey. Whereas we have a lot of attacking midfield / winger options - Hoolahan, Murphy, Murphy, Redmond, Bennett, Howson, Fer, Snodgrass, Pilkington, Olsson.I am sure he would not be signed as a replacement for Hoolahan. Hoolahan exit talk should not cloud judgement of the pros and cons of Glenn Whelan.We want to stay up this season, in one of the tightest relegation scraps in years. It may not be a glamorous move, but Glenn Whelan would be a good player to help ensure that.

Aside of the fact this is probably just made up paper talk, I actually have always been reasonably impressed by him and like many on here I watch a hell of a loty of EPL football, unless I am mistaking him for another player in the Stoke City side?

No, no, and no.....really would we be happy with Glenn Wheelan?

I know some on here go on about gritty and relegation scraps but to get out of this we need quality, not another squad option! We have Tettey, Johnson, Fer, Howson, Fox, Wes as options why do we need another?

I''m getting a little confused by this transfer window, we are being linked to hard working players who have little qulaity, we have already signed that type with Gutierrze!

I don''t think filling our squad with this type of player will help us, it stinks of the board not wanting to spend huge sums as relegation is a reality or could be that they don''t want to allow Hughton to spend more as his position is still not certain, but whatever it is it''s not looking like the money to spend is that much! I don''t think we have the 8-10 million some were talking about early Jan.

Imagine losing one of our most creative players in Wes and replacing him with Whelan! Jeeps that just is not acceptable.

I would rather keep Wes and offer him that contract extension he''s after and I''m not one of Wes''s greatest fans.

[quote user="Indy"]they don''t want to allow Hughton to spend more as his position is still not certain, but whatever it is it''s not looking like the money to spend is that much! I don''t think we have the 8-10 million some were talking about early Jan.[/quote]Maybe something in that, Indy.All the more reason then, if we get realistic offers for players who''ve publicly stated that they don''t want to be here, we should sell, ans thus boost the meagre kitty.

But surely it is only paper talk, and if it isnt would be a stop gap signing a bit like Holt is for Villa, well sort of, because up to no signings we have made under CH have been of a different nature.

Now, Gutierrez "little quality" ? ...let me see ...22 caps for Argentina....its not that long ago we were signing some players who really were of "little quality" but Gutierrez clearly isnt.

The January transfer window will always be a difficult one to sign major long term signings in, often they are short term to fix an immediate squad problem, and if you do get a big signing, like a Mata going to Manure (which I think is a fantastic bit of business), then its a bonus. 

If he was brought in to replace Wes then it would be disappointing because he''s not an attacking player.

However, from what i have seen of him in the past he''s actually quite good and I am sure I can recall reading quotes from Stoke fans in the past that basically said that under Pulis he was the only midfielder that held them together and got them playing any decent football.

Steve Sidwell is the player that I would look to sign. He is out of contract at the end of the season and has turned down a new 1 year contract offer from Fulham. He wants 2 years.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Hoolahan out, whelan/Guthrie in. You''ve got to laugh really. And still people think Hughton is the right man for the job.[/quote]

and yet none of it has happened.. or is that what makes hughton the bad manager????

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

and yet none of it has happened.. or is that what makes hughton the bad manager????

[/quote]
Any stick no matter how thin is always worth using to beat Hughton with ;)

Do we need to strengthen that much or just get our current crop fit?

Save the money if we can stay up, spend it better in the summer

Would be very disappointed if this happened, not improving the starting 11 at all, more like going backwards, we would be better bringing a youth player to the first team squad....

How come we''ve gone from being linked with Alderweireld, Quagliarella, Toivonen and Biglia, to Gutierrez, Guthrie and Whelan?  Somebody know something we dont about our funds?

OK  I know we were linked with Ranocchia but plenty of people doubted that one. Guessing not much in the kitty. Or perhaps thats what they want people to think...

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]

How come we''ve gone from being linked with Alderweireld, Quagliarella, Toivonen and Biglia, to Gutierrez, Guthrie and Whelan?  Somebody know something we dont about our funds?

OK  I know we were linked with Ranocchia but plenty of people doubted that one. Guessing not much in the kitty. Or perhaps thats what they want people to think...

[/quote]

They''ve probally seen us play. We''re hardly a good advert for football. Then again probably just coincidence. Much like everything else that goes wrong under Hughton.

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]

[/quote]

They''ve probally seen us play. We''re hardly a good advert for football. Then again probably just coincidence. Much like everything else that goes wrong under Hughton.[/quote]

there''s not much that has gone wrong under hughton

This probably will not happen but if it does i am not sure why there is such a lack of enthusiasm. he is a defensive M/F with a very good track record of about 200 games in the EPL 55 for his country and is well thought of by his current supporters. at 30 he has a few more seasons in him and we need fighters inthe middle of the park to give the ball to our forwards he could do a good job

There''s another way of looking at this too.

Should Hoolahan leave this window we already have a few players that can play in his role.

The most obvious being Howson who was brought in by Lambert to be Hoolahan''s competition and eventual successor. Hoolahan going may actually mean Hughton wants to be able to use Howson in that way. The obvious issue then would be we have Fer, Tettey and Johnson fighting for the central slots. Whelan would be another body in their in case of injury and/or suspension.

As others have said he is experienced and is a solid passer. Even if for the short term it may actually make sense in allowing us to play other players further forward in their prefered roles?

Still, I think it''s hokey.

Oh, and as for Jonas - he is a very good signing. Experience and leadership as well as ability. He''s not going to be Messi but he will give us something different as we have seen already - he likes to beat players, and is an intelligent player.

Been at work all day after posting a no thanks to Whelan, listened to 3 different irish radio stations during the day, not one of them mentioned him or speculation on norwich move.,,even the station that was ahead of the game on the Wes situation.

So could be a load of Cobblers, as the Irish are farily on the case if it concerns one of theirs . Would rather have Sidwell though.