Sign in to follow this  
Notts Canary

Vote: Message board player of the season

Maybe not as prestigious as the Barry Butler Trophy but it would be good if posters each voted once to see who the message board player of the season is.

I’ll start:

Robert Green – had a slight dip in form mid season but can you blame him with the amount of pressure he has had to deal with this season. Think he has performed well and cemented himself as the England’s number three.

Darren Huckerby, it was very close for me between him and Greeno, but I feel that he just pips it. To tell how good he is look at how many defenders surround him when he has the ball.

Well, it has to be out of:

huckerby
Francis
Deano
Mckenzie (noone will agree but i just think hes great)
Green
Safri and Shackell have also done well but have not been played much

I''m going for Greeno too.  Up until now he has a had a shabby defence in front of him but he has done some awesome saves these last few games.

Greeno for me!

Leon Makenzie- His spirit and work ethic have been awesome all season and he is now weighing in with the goals.

Darren Huckerby

Always a danger. His goals got us here (I think it was the biggest injustice in the history of this football club that he didn''t win it last season) and his goals and assists have kept us in the game this season. Without him you can chalk off not only his six goals, but also a dozen others that he has either created or had a hand in. He''s a legend and to come out and say Norwich will be the last club he ever plays for is some statement.

Darren Huckerby for me.   The only player to have performed at Prem Level weekk in week out throughout the season despite being restricted to the left flank.  Committed, frustrated, frustrating but alway always our main threat.

Had we seen more of them I am sure Helveg, Shacks and Ashton would have pushed him hard...

OTBC 

Either:

Damian Francis

Laziness aside- he is a class act. Has stepped up to the Prem and made the grade. Kept his head when all around were losing theirs- and his early goals could prove crucial.

or

Deano

Only just arrived- but undoubtedly the best player in the city shirt for many many years. Oozes class- and a bright future ahead.

It''s a difficult one, because few players have been permanently in the team - only Green, Francis, Huckerby and Fleming. I don''t think I''d give it to any of those, because they were all playing when we slumped from a reasonably comfortable 17th place with a reasonable goal difference to a rudderless 20th with an appalling goal difference. My short list is Shackell, Charlton, Safri, Ashton and Mackenzie.

And the winner is.... Youssef Safri! Largely for being the key factor in the Man U result, which has at least meant that we''ve avoided total humiliation.

Leon McKenzie. Effort never in question, and he has hit form at the crucial part of the season. Others have dipped in and out of form like Francis and Huckerby.

Got to be Hucks for me.  Espacially when Bents was injured, Hucks was our only form of creativity.  Always a threat.  Obviously if Deano had been here all season I would vote for him.

Btw, web team; What is the criteria for POTS?  Don''t you have to have appeared in 50% of the games or something like that?

For me it nearly went to Hucks (always gives it his all and a legend) orLeon (worked so hard all season and has improved massively) but in the end I had to give my vote to Greeno as without him and his saves we would''ve been relegated months ago.

Without doubt, DARREN HUCKERBY, how many times has he only been stopped by Fouling him? how he keeps his cool is a credit to himself and the club, Here''s hoping he rips the Southampton defence apart on Saturday,Leon and Dean will also be up for it

O T B C

My vote to Leon Mackenzie. Not just for his effort but also for the fact that he has visibly improved across the season. And whilst he may not be our most talented player, he uses every last atom of the talent he has.

For me McKenzie and Huckerby are the short list for sheer effort.
McKenzie gets it as for me a player of the season has to be 100% committed to the cause, contribute something (saves, goals, tackles etc) and show signs of improvement from week to week - McKenzie is the only player that has done all of those.

It''s Shackel for me !

He hasn''t played much of the season, but my vote includes the time he has waited his chance patiently and without complaint.

He has slotted seamlessly into the side and has performed so well  that he is probably one of the first names on the team sheet.

Actually Shackell wasn''t waiting without complaint. When me and my mates went up Colney over the Christmas period and when we asked Shackell why he wasn''t in the team, he replied "i don''t know, i don''t know how much longer i want to stay here not being in the team".

Sounds like complaining to me.

You''re voting too early.

It''s going to be Mr D. Ashton for his wonderful 10 goals in the last 7 games of the season that keep us in the Premiership !

It just has to be Huckerby ! why ?  simply this .... 

1,  He`s been involved in nearly all our goals

2,  Despite  his legs being  the target of  neanderthals  who can`t cope with his pace  , Hucks  has consistantly got up and got on with the job .....  a true pro !

3, He`s  never been injured all season [ until now ]   can anyone explain how this came about , despite  the ferocious tackles he has to face each match ?  he`s been there  when a lot of our players  decided to be " injured "    .... a true pro !

4 , Always gives 100%  EVERY match !  which is far more than  can be said  of a lot of the other players ! .....

5, Without him we wouldn`t even BE in the prem ...!!!

6,  He` always capable of the unexpected , IMO this relegation battle would not be happening if   he had been   appointed an out and out  roving striker ...  the sight of him  around the box  makes defenders crap themselves !

7, He`s unselfish and loyal ..... and , on this platform alone , he deserves  the tribute !!!

Leon for me. Not just the incredible work rate, as well as the goals now, but also his commitment to the cause. I remember one game where we''d just been beaten (Man City I think) and he was almost in tears because he''d run his backside off for 90 minutes and desperately wanted to win. He has never come off the pitch without giving 120% in every single game this season, which is not what you can say for a fair number of the players. 

[quote]Actually Shackell wasn''t waiting without complaint. When me and my mates went up Colney over the Christmas period and when we asked Shackell why he wasn''t in the team, he replied "i don''t know, i don''...[/quote]

Apologies Ou Est ? ,

As I wasn''t standing next to you at the time I wouldn''t have heard him say that would I ?

But he still gets my vote whether complaining exclusively to you or not.