Sign in to follow this  
snake-eyes

What is 'The English Game'?

I have seen on many post, generally in association with foreign players and specifically RvW, that they need to adapt to the English Game.

What is the English Game?

With the influx of so many players from outside of these shores, the variety of tactics and styles played in this country has increased. As a result I do not believe English football as once was, has a definitive identity.

Therefore, in what way do players and in RvW''s case, strikers, need to adapt to and how?

Is it the Swansea or Liverpool way?

Maybe the Man City or Arsenal way?

How about the Stoke way?

The term seems so clichéd now and holds very little meaning. [8-)]

Snake

4-4-2 punting the ball out of defence, getting it wide and crossing it...

it worked in 1966...

some might tell you the "English Way" is to get players who are "Faster, bigger and Stronger...." Lionel Messi, Diego Maradona and Pele didn''t fit that mould...

the english game is run by businessmen... they have never played football, coached football or been involved at any level... The european game is run by those schooled in the background. St Georges park is a lovely venue... but Bloemfontein in France, or the ajax Academy, or the Spanish schools are all 20-30 years old...

We take away our green fields, dont let kids play football in the streets and remove facilities... those of you going to the world cup this summer will see just how many kids play football in the street, bare footed, unrestricted, able to express...

Dad standing on the side line at Eaton Park screaming at his son, "Get stuck in.... dont wimp out... you''re embaressing me son".... can sod off.... go and live out your dreams on the computer and through ruining Little Jimmy''s confidence.

The english game is stifiled, old, and i''m sorry to say dying... our profesionals are blinkered money grabbers who live a pampered life, A Foreign player seeks a better way of life, to further his career... to make a name for himself.

The foreigners learn the english way and the English game... and thats why england struggle at big tournaments.. in 10 years qualification will be an acheivement in itself.. in 20 years we wont even remember what it''s like to be at a world cup.

1966 was the worst thing to Happen to english football, because its the day the game died over here.

Difficult to pin-pont but we all know what we mean in the same way that we know the meaning of the so-called German game, Italian game and South American game.

They all have a certain identity which makes them different.

Perhaps the answer lies in the water.

Players do comment, as has RVW, about the need to adapt to the style of play they encounter here.

What always strikes me when watching the Prem compared to other European Leagues is the sheer pace of the game. Players have less time on the ball before a tackle comes in compared to other top flight leagues - the pace in the Championship is even more frenetic.

This high pace means players have much less time to think about their next pass or shot and leads to the frantic games the Premier League often has, games seem much less ''in control'' than those in Italy or Spain. I also think this is why the Premier League has become much more successful in Asia and America - the high pace leads to a more exciting experience.

Whilst the Premier League is changing I don''t think it is particualry slowing down - and it clear in European games that the styles of teams are still very different. When Barcelona beat Man U in the Champions League final so easily a few years back it hit home that something had to change, but Bayern''s success last season promoted the idea that whilst ball retention is important, a physically powerful and direct team can prosper also. Which makes Pep''s move to Bayern almost counter-intuitive - Bayern had the ultimate anti-Barcelona team and now they are trying to morph into them. Klopp''s Dortmund take a lot of inspiration from English football, which Klopp is a big fan of - they play with great intensity and speed.

So while there are more and more overseas players in the English game - it still does hold a national identity (British players still make up the majority of the league so that is inevitable). Rodger''s Swansea team played a very continetal system but Laudrup''s are much more direct and Rodger''s Liverpool are much more direct than his Swansea team were. Arsenal have played the continental way for many seasons - but with varying results. Fergie''s Man United managed to blend some European ideas but were certainly a more ''British'' team in their style.

It probably is an outdated term, it conjures images of hard work, hassling and a certain physicality. You still see quintessentially "English-type" players, bundles of energy and perhaps not the most technical. The term was really a damning indictment on the archaic coaching that prevailed in this country for years too long.

Finally England are producing some technical talent but are still some way behind the major South American and European sides. Even our very best players, Rooney, Gerrard have an "English" edge to them and it does add something to their game, we love a trier. Youngsters like Wilshere and Barkley have great technical ability, it will be interesting to see if England manage to find a way to play them effectively or whether they will be shoe-horned to the point that their career peters out like Joe Cole''s.

On the flip side, you could say that England have won nothing trying to play a more patient, almost continental style recently and would be better served to going back to the hustle and bustle techniques of yesteryear (that also won us nothing!!). I don''t know, glad I''m not the manager..[:D]