Sign in to follow this  
Wiz

Please don't take it out on Wes.

As it seems Lambert''s now moving on and leaving Hoolli high and dry in the water can I ask all City fans going to the Newcastle game to not take it out on Wes for this transfer farce with Villa.

They pushed him into it imo.

I don''t think anyone (a part from the inevitable idiot fringe you get at any club) blames Wes for the current situation we and he finds ourselves in. He has gone about it in the right way (save for the Cup "injury" which was almost certainly an agent inspired stunt that achieved nothing) and so long as he gets his head down for the remainder of the season no-one will resent him for it.

Hopefully we can reach a compromise where he can be allowed to move on in the summer and he can see out the rest of his career with Villa in the Championship...[;)]

Well said Jimbo - I don''t think fans will take it out him because most want him playing anyway and know it''s Hughton not picking him (when we desperately need some creativity) rather than Wes refusing to play.

Plus, I get the feeling Wes just wants to play and only asked to move because he wasn''t getting game time here. It seems a case of ''I want to play football, if I''m not getting picked, please give me a chance elsewhere''.

[quote user="Muffles"]

Well said Jimbo - I don''t think fans will take it out him because most want him playing anyway and know it''s Hughton not picking him (when we desperately need some creativity) rather than Wes refusing to play.

Plus, I get the feeling Wes just wants to play and only asked to move because he wasn''t getting game time here. It seems a case of ''I want to play football, if I''m not getting picked, please give me a chance elsewhere''.

[/quote]

Just before this thread gets hijacked for more Hughton-bashing, maybe check this article out. Whilst we all know Wes is an attractive player to watch, perhaps the end product at this level is not enough to justify his selection.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/special-report-look-statistical-performance-6558480

I think it was a try-on by Villa.  If they got Wes on the cheap, fine, if not a bid might unsettle him - a win for them either way.

Wes has always struck me as a sensible guy and it''s worth remembering he stayed with us when we dropped to L1.  So I hope he''ll settle down and continue to contribute as a squad player for the rest of the season.

I wasn''t at first blaming wes as he hasn''t had the game time that he would have wanted and he had every right to hand in a transfer request and make a statement saying that after he spoke to David Mcnally he felt he needed to leave, thats fine, it happens. Where I felt wes has done something inappropriate is when he has just released another statement that he wants to go to villa, that to me is very wrong (not so much the fact that he wants to go to villa, but that he publicly said that he did)

That article on the Birmingham Mail website is shocking:

Quote: "The stats show a player who gets stuck in, a busy player in the centre of midfield. A player happy to sit and play the easy ball and put an attack into life. In terms of assists and goals scored the stats aren''t as striking as many fans would like.

Let''s ponder that for a moment though, the nature of this midfield role means quite often some midfield players are the assist of the assist His successful pass rate and passes per game suggest that could easily be the case.

Hoolahan needs a new lease of life and his steady approach in the middle of the Villa midfield could be just what the claret and blue cause needs."

A player happy to sit? Really? Sounds like they have never watched him play. Centre of midfield - well be my guest but unless it is advanced of the rest of the midfield it''s pretty dangerous.

If Hooly has any sense he''ll look at this and realise that people in Brum have no idea of his talent.

I don''t think anyone will I think the opposite really, I think this will increase pressure to play him.

Wes is no prima Donna, he''s not going to refuse to play for the rest of the season or whatever I just hope McNally and Wes are forced back to the negotiation table and a new deal for him is hammered out.

The only nastiness I feel is towards villa and the underhanded way they do business. They believe the worst case for them here is we have an unsettled player in hoolahan and this weakens us, they underestimate Wes'' determination and professionalism.

Agreed! There''s only one villain (excuse pun) in this and that''s Lambert. He has blatantly sought to disrupt things at Carrow rd, even drawing Grant Holt into his pathetic mind-games. Any respect I had for the man has completely disappeared in the light of his vindictive campaign against the Norwich hierarchy. He knew full well that he wouldn''t be prepared to meet Norwich''s asking price for Hoolahan, so the only point of his behaviour is to cause maximum damage to City. I feel sorry for Hoolahan insofar as he has been cruelly used by Lambert to pursue his grudges against Norwich. It''s a real shame that he has sullied so horribly what were genuinely great achievements for City in the past. I hope others on this site will now recognise him for the small-minded, vindictive man that he is.

I suppose the accidental spelling (Nowrich) is at least a crap anagram of our financial state today compared to a few years ago ;).

No coincidence that the day after Villa recieve a written complaint about their ''public courting'' of Wes, that they then suddenly back down and cool interest. Whatever. The cynic in me thinks this is just them trying to avoid getting themselves in any hot water with the FA. They''ve not dropped their interest in Wes one iota, that you can be sure of. As for Wes, I''d like to think we won''t have any morons giving him some stick but sadly history suggests otherwise. Norwich and us fans are clearly held close to his heart, i just hope he get''s some more game time with us so everyone can show how highly we regard the bloke and hope that by playing (against Newcastle) he can get the minutes on the pitch he craves. Saying that, i think he probably will go and it''ll go to the last day of the transfer window - we''re just playing hardball with Villa at the moment but i think that''ll change with the right offer on the table.

Surely no one will take it out on him......its does appear has been played, "courted" big time by Lambert and his Agent appears to have resorted to some manipulation and the usual tricks......that said, he should personally have kept silent after the transfer request, the newspaper interview was a mistake and he clearly didnt take into account that he may not get the move and may have to stay with the club who are currently paying his wages.

I personally now want his transfer to go ahead, because in reality we are all getting heated over a player who is now only really a bit part player and who, perhaps sadly for some, is not part of the future of the club under the current management........it happens in all walks of live doesnt it.......  

[quote user="chicken"]That article on the Birmingham Mail website is shocking: Quote: "The stats show a player who gets stuck in, a busy player in the centre of midfield. A player happy to sit and play the easy ball and put an attack into life. In terms of assists and goals scored the stats aren''t as striking as many fans would like. Let''s ponder that for a moment though, the nature of this midfield role means quite often some midfield players are the assist of the assist His successful pass rate and passes per game suggest that could easily be the case. Hoolahan needs a new lease of life and his steady approach in the middle of the Villa midfield could be just what the claret and blue cause needs." A player happy to sit? Really? Sounds like they have never watched him play. Centre of midfield - well be my guest but unless it is advanced of the rest of the midfield it''s pretty dangerous. If Hooly has any sense he''ll look at this and realise that people in Brum have no idea of his talent.[/quote]

Well he''s not a sitting midfielder in the sense of David Fox or Michael Carrick but the point about assist to an assist is valid and correct imo. When he has played and been influential he is very much the player through which our attacks go as he starts counter attacks and finds passes that will spring the winger to provide an assist

[quote user="Houston Canary"]Publicly complaining about playing time worked for Beccio[/quote]

he''s featured for less than an hour since.... really succesful!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="Houston Canary"]Publicly complaining about playing time worked for Beccio[/quote]

he''s featured for less than an hour since.... really succesful!

[/quote]

I think Houston was taking the p155, Jas ;)

"Whilst we all know Wes is an attractive player to watch, perhaps the end product at this level is not enough to justify his selection."

Beefy thank you for the link however to me the guys at the Birmingham Mail have done a good job of summing Wes up and have come to the right conclusion imo:

"Conclusion

The stats show a player who gets stuck in, a busy player in the centre of midfield. A player happy to sit and play the easy ball and put an attack into life. In terms of assists and goals scored the stats aren''t as striking as many fans would like.

Let''s ponder that for a moment though, the nature of this midfield role means quite often some midfield players are the assist of the assist His successful pass rate and passes per game suggest that could easily be the case."

They have got Wes worked out for me, something many of our own fans never have. He is often the player that makes the pass for the assist, hence why his assists are ok but not awe inspiring. He also works hard and wins tackles while putting many more passes together at a 85% success rate, higher than almost anyone else. That''s why I agree with people who say when he plays he "makes us tick" - because the stats back that up.

Not bad for a guy that just does circles and loses the ball in a lot of fans eyes.

He''s played once in how many games? Running around in his usual circles and firing off the odd shot that bounces a few times before just reaching the keeper..

Sell him to Villa?? yea...get rid....keep him much longer and he''ll be worth zero

Lambo has no loyalty to anyone and we knew this when we got him from Col Who. Villa fans will soon realise this and I am sure is soon looking for his next "career step".

Villa have no real money and are trying to do the Premiership "on the cheap".

[quote user="Monty13"]"Whilst we all know Wes is an attractive player to watch, perhaps the end product at this level is not enough to justify his selection."

Beefy thank you for the link however to me the guys at the Birmingham Mail have done a good job of summing Wes up and have come to the right conclusion imo:

"Conclusion

The stats show a player who gets stuck in, a busy player in the centre of midfield. A player happy to sit and play the easy ball and put an attack into life. In terms of assists and goals scored the stats aren''t as striking as many fans would like.

Let''s ponder that for a moment though, the nature of this midfield role means quite often some midfield players are the assist of the assist His successful pass rate and passes per game suggest that could easily be the case."

They have got Wes worked out for me, something many of our own fans never have. He is often the player that makes the pass for the assist, hence why his assists are ok but not awe inspiring. He also works hard and wins tackles while putting many more passes together at a 85% success rate, higher than almost anyone else. That''s why I agree with people who say when he plays he "makes us tick" - because the stats back that up.

Not bad for a guy that just does circles and loses the ball in a lot of fans eyes.[/quote]

Don''t get me wrong Monty, I''m a big Wes fan. However, when he was playing alot last season, many fans did want us to go to 4-4-2 and the lack of goals scored by Wes in the No.10 role was a concern. He definitely helps to ''make us tick'' but is his contribution worth more than putting another goalscorer on the pitch - that''s been the conundrum for CH. Wes played alot last season but last season was still a struggle so I don''t blame CH for trying to evolve the squad.

I don''t blame Hughton for trying to evolve the squad Beefy, but my main concern from the summer and continuing to now is that in Wes''s case we failed to get an upgrade but then pretty much abandoned him and a system that was successful in a ten game unbeaten run last year. Why?

I think for as many fans who wanted 442, there are at least as many who saw the benefits of Wes in the hole. People who think we can afford to buy a playmaking No. 10 that''s going to score double figures a year are delusional imo.

For me they are both viable systems depending on the opposition - 451 against Man U, spot on, 451 against Palace in terrible conditions, really?

And another striker is only another goalscorer if he is actually scoring goals, Elmander and RVW have both looked good but together they have added 0 goals to our tally this year as part of a front 2 in the prem.

[quote user="dr burt"]Agreed! There''s only one villain (excuse pun) in this and that''s Lambert. He has blatantly sought to disrupt things at Carrow rd, even drawing Grant Holt into his pathetic mind-games. Any respect I had for the man has completely disappeared in the light of his vindictive campaign against the Norwich hierarchy. He knew full well that he wouldn''t be prepared to meet Norwich''s asking price for Hoolahan, so the only point of his behaviour is to cause maximum damage to City. I feel sorry for Hoolahan insofar as he has been cruelly used by Lambert to pursue his grudges against Norwich. It''s a real shame that he has sullied so horribly what were genuinely great achievements for City in the past. I hope others on this site will now recognise him for the small-minded, vindictive man that he is.[/quote]

couldn''t have put it better, my hate for Villa goes deeper than Lambert, this just give me even more reason to hate them