Sign in to follow this  
Indy_Bones

Our best current XI (on paper and stats) if we want to pass better

[URL=http://s207.photobucket.com/user/Indy_Bones/media/StatisticalNorwich_zps9636ac1f.jpg.html][IMG]http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb202/Indy_Bones/StatisticalNorwich_zps9636ac1f.jpg[/IMG][/URL]Some surprises in there tbh, especially Garrido over Olsson.Selections were made based on three key factors - Short Passing Accuracy, Long Pass Accuracy, Crossing Accuracy.Clearly defenders have more priorities than how well they can pass, but if all else is equal then take the guy who gives you more options.The question is - are we likely to see this selection at any point? Frankly I doubt it, although the 4-2-3-1 (which this is in theory) does seem to be something that Hughton likes to play.For those who wanted Wes in the side, in regards to passing accuracy - Hooper plays him off the park surprisingly, even if he doesn''t have those odd moments of brilliance, he''s consistently good at playing the ball.Thoughts?

Not especially surprising Garrido is ahead of Olsson, he plays it safe more and has played less.
More surprised Martin ahead of Whittaker, since the latter is supposedly the better attacking option. Despite not having half as good a relationship with Snoddy going down the wing. Still fail to see bar the couple of quality goals (literally, a couple) what he offers that puts his above Martin in some peoples eyes.
Also the arrow movements, last weekend it was Wolfie doing the running all over the place. More than Hooper by far I thought. Don''t think he should be doing that, but he seemed to be the one given the responsibility.

My thought is if this team has never played together, and I doubt it ever will, then the stats are based on these players playing with other players making this team a nonsense. But we new that already, it''s just a bit of fun!

And I reckon this team might pass well but it''s possession stats would be poor.

You actually want to pass the ball about and keep possession you need a 5 man midfield in today''s game imo.

I''m not actually surprised with Hooper. Very noticeable that he rarely gives the ball away.

The one element not captured by the stats that would be intersting though is the impact of the presence of Hoolahan (or indeed Fox) on the passing accuracy of other players in the side. Regardless of his own stats i always feel we keep the ball better as a team when one of those two plays as they always show for the ball and are able to receive it in tight areas. Without both of them I think we sometimes end up going a little long ball.

Looking forward to getting Tettey back in the side. Think he will make a huge difference in terms of shielding the back four and stopping these shots from 25/30 yards we have taken to allowing the opposition to have.

I really don''t get the obsession with Whitaker over Martin. Martin is by far the better player, better defender and gets forward well.

Whitaker has been woeful in the last few games he played (palace away and fulham away especially), hence why he lost his place in the team.

Martin is also more of a leader on and off the pitch and imo should be captain over bassong.

People seem to have quickly forgotten that Whittaker was part of our best team last season. Similar to the way many have forgotten how good Bassong was.

Martin has been involved in his fair share of woeful performances and capitulations. Infact up until very recently we had won more points and conceded less goals per game with Whittaker in the side (not sure if that has changed over the last couple of weeks).

However, I don''t think there''s too much between and the chopping and changing at right back probably shows that.

On passing alone, yes.But one runner forward from midfield (Fer) against any team employing a 4-1-4-1 or 4-2-3-1, or even a 4-3-3 would be absolute stupidity.He''d be tracked on his runs and sat on when he sits. We''d lose the midfield battle and resort to working it down the flanks where neither Garrido or Martin possess the necessary pace to create proper overloads with Snodgrass/Redmond, or looking for balls over the top from deep where any half decent CB can track across and clear.I haven''t seen the EPL Index article in relation to that lineup, but it a) wouldn''t work and b) We aren''t a passing team under Hughton anyway, our low attempted passes and high attempted long balls in relation to the rest of the league support that argument.

Paul,

Agree totally. Anyone who was at the last two games RM played at RB (Man Utd and Hull) will have seen hime ''skip'' down the wing and deliver more crosses tha the winger (Snoddy).

Not for one moment suggesting Whits is a bad player just that RM is a better RB.

Also when we had our 10 match undeaten run (Whits played in most of not all of those) there were 10 other players (plus subs) on the pitch. It wasn''t Whitts who won those games single handedly and if we are going to get into that sort of debate, then who was playing in the WBA and Man City games at the back end of last season when we had to win?