Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Do we need Ayala back if we can't secure a CB in the window?

Difficult one AIc.My initial take on this is if Hughton only rated Ayala as mid Champ standard last season (Forest) and at the start of this (Boro), why would he suddenly become Prem quality in Feb  ?That is not meant to be flippant, but I''m sure we can get some higher quality in either as a permanent deal or on loan. Also, don''t forget Russell Martin has performed pretty well from time to time in the CB role.

Why not keep him? With Turner out for a few more weeks, we are down to two regular CBs in Bassong and Bennett, and Martin, but if Martin plays then it means Whittaker at RB and that prospect is worrying.

Ayala is still only 23, I believe, so his development is not yet complete. There were times when he first came when he looked good and other times when he looked the opposite, and Hughton presumably judged him from videos and pre-season games when he was first manager at NC. Middlesbrough seem very pleased with him, so perhaps he is more consistent now.

He is attractive because there would be no transfer fee, - he is already our player, and it may be that we have been paying some of his wages on loan, so there will be relatively little increase in the wage bill.

I agree he''s probably not up to standard (yet) but if he can do a job and we were to lose Bennett or Bassong... Bassong reminds me of my old Ford Focus diesel. I was always convinced it was about to breakdown and leave me in the sh1t at any moment... The fact that it never did and limped on and on relentlessly never made me any more confident about it!

I''d would much much rather we find someone better than Ayala between now and the end of the month but it''s all looking a bit quiet isn''t it! And Ayala looked a prospect not so long ago. 

Gutierrez at right Back, Russ Martin at Centre back...

Ayala to stay sitting with his thumb up his ar*e on the bench at boro...

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Apart from he''s made 12 appearances in 3 months Jas, suggesting he hasn''t been sitting in the bench....[/quote]

how many are starts and how many matches have they played over that time?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Apart from he''s made 12 appearances in 3 months Jas, suggesting he hasn''t been sitting in the bench....[/quote]

how many are starts and how many matches have they played over that time?

[/quote]
Well he''s a CB, so probably most of them. 11 starts 1 sub according to Sky Sports. And 16 games including FA Cup game (which he didn''t play in, possibly not allowed, or just rested since he started game before and after).
And they seem pretty desperate to sign him.

If he can stay fit Ayala can be a really decent center half. Better than we''ve got? No. Decent back-up if we can''t bring someone better in til'' the summer? Yes

[quote user="the bristol nest"]Yes! We must not sell him under any circumstances! Oh.....[/quote]

LOL we JUST sold him.........undisclosed fee..

http://www.canaries.co.uk/news/article/ayala-leaves-city-24-jan-13-1314551.aspx

AJ,

I posted this on the other post;

I keep saying it and will say it again. We have a very promising youngster in Adel Gafaiti.

I''ve seen this lad play alongside, Bassong, Turner, Bennett and Ayala for the U21''s and he looked every bit as good as any of them, although that said it was the U21''s and the others were having a run out due to lack of 1st team games or they were returning from injury.

He is only 19 and therefore possibly a bit young as a CB making regular Prem appearances but as cover would be more than good enough IMO.

Wouldn''t be at all surprised to see him make an appearance this season but definitely one for next season.

Calm and collected, wins most aerial battles (bear in mind he has played against Prem CF''s returning from injury) and ping a ball with great accuracy.

Thought I''d drop in and say Ayala has signed a 3 and a half year deal with Boro.

Being a Boro fan I can say he has a lot of potential and I''m surprised Norwich has allowed him to leave permanently.

He started off quite rough for us, despite scoring 3 goals in his first 6 games (a beast on set pieces), he struggled at the back but Karanka has completely changed things and Ayala especially looks more settled, having experienced heads like Woodgate and Williams next to him has helped 10 fold.

He''s been a major part in us keeping 5 clean sheets in 6 games (winning all 5 and drawing the other) and I''m glad he has signed for us, he is playing a big part in our resurgence up the league.

I see he didn''t really ever play much for Norwich, in the few games he appeared in was he any good?