Sign in to follow this  
MPR

Player of the Season Dilemma

Help!

Who on earth do I vote for? Can we have player of the first half of the season (Damo) and then Player of the Second Half?

I voted for "One F in Fleming" last year and got that right. This year I haven''t got a clue. Helveg has been great in his run outs, especially recently, Shackell has had everyone scratching their head (and wondering why he wasn''t playing before), Leon looks like a man both inspired and possessed now with Ashton alongside him and yet none of them, where applicable, did much in the first half.

Huckerby because i feel that in times of need e.g the Boro match. He was there.
But i would probably choose McKenzie. He worked so hard and finally is getting his rewards

Its got to be Huckerby!!

I can''t beleive CF got it last year I was gutted for Hucks!!

After all, if we did not have Huckerby in the team last year we would still be there!!

Our defence was not great last year it was just a lower quality of attackers!!

[quote]Based on the entire season it''s got to be Leon for me. The guy always puts in 100%[/quote]

Yeah, Ive been thinking about this too, and I have to agree. For absolute effort and determination for the cause, its got to be McKenzie. I like all the players but he springs to mind first for Player of the Year this season.

I have voted for Greeno and the rest of my family have voted for McKenzie.  I think McKenzie actually deserves it for sheer hard work and committment.

Oh and for showing us his bod against Man Utd! 

It''s a difficult one as I don''t think any of the players have had a consistently good season. My vote goes to Leon as he now looks twice the player he did in the first half of the season.

Leon deserves recognition but so does Hucks. Why not do something different and have joint winners.

Most frustrating player of the year is definately Damien Francis!!

Leon got my vote! Everyone has been inconsistent, so I gave it to him for commitment/effort as well as scoring 7 goals. Now paired with Deano, he is developing nicely, and I expect us to have a hot strike force next season.

I voted Hucks too. Leon a close second. Sure he always gives 110% but the amount of chances he squandered before Ashton was brought in...

The winner of player of the seaon should be the one who gives a full seasons performance above average or who has had a disproportional impact on the outcome of the season, not the player whop comes good for 5 games at the end of the year.

Who are the candidates?

1.   Ashton - scored important goals and looks money well spent but was involved in 10 weeks poor games from Jan to March and will only have been here half a season

2.  Leon - on fire at the moment as his partnership with Deano takes off; fully committed all year (but so was Holt, and eddy covered as much ground as Leon does) but I cant overlook 20+ games as a bit player who looked 2 leagues out of his depth and could hit a barn door from 4 yards.

3.  Greeno - some fantastic performances despite conceeding 71 goals.  Started the year well and now looking like that keeper again at the end of the year.  However mid-season confidence dropped after over-exposure to Fleming took its toll with so average performances in the winter.

4. Hux (here for 8 month last season & still didnt win - but thats another post!) Most fouled player, most dribbles, a consistent threat game in game out whether against Arsenal or boro or Palace despite regularly being double or triple marked. Joint top scorer from midfield but created twice as many goals.  Injured currently and affected his ability in last couple of games.  He cant defend (few strikers can Worthy) and rarely heads the ball but they are his only faults. 

5. Safri.  A bitof a McVeigh early season; looked good against Ar$e in 2nd half as the gooners took their foot off the gas and then was abysmal at Liverpool.  Now performing far better than I expected and a corner stone of our revival.

6. Helveg - Like safri is it any coincidence that our defence and our fortunes have looked up since he returned to the side? 

7. Shackell - the quality of his performances are a surprise to no one except Worthy who ignored for 6 long months (ditto helveg & safri).

8. Francis  Looking awesome just before his injury; superb going forward - top league scorer, but the invisible man defensively with Mullers trait of an apparent lack of effort just when we need it most from a central midfielder. This man could be Englands Viera/Keane if he pulled his finger out - at the moment he would be a talent wasted but couldnt be bothered.

9. Bentley - not a candidate in my view. I opposed his signing as he was too young to have an impact on the season.  He started as a show pony but has developed a work ethic and has developed into the best wide midfield player we have had for some seasons. Arsenal will take back a far better player than they loaned to us and for that Wenger will be grateful.  I dont think his contribution has really been appreciated as much as we should have.   

For impact on season you could go for Safri, Shacks or Helveg as they were the catalyst for our revival, however they  simply have not played enough games (Worthys fault that, not theirs - would wehave been safe if they had played all season?  Probably)

For season long perforamnce it could be Greeno or Francis, but both have had spells of inconsistent perfromances, Damo following injury and Greeno following Flem. 

Ashton & Leon are hitting the headlines now but Deano started slowly as he found his feet and Leon was too poor for too long to win the prize for effort alone ( & if effort was the criteria holt, eddy, flem or Jonson are equal candidates; and I cannot seriously have them winning it; as I have regularly posted I would give Leon levels of commitment but you dont want me in a  city shirt on sat!)   

That only leaves Hux; IMO played out of position,

mine would be

1)greeno, who has kept in so many games with outstanding saves and without him and with our defensive record well it would be a whole lot worse.

2)hux, for being a consistant threat throughout the season

3)shacks, for making such an impact in defence since hes started playing

Personally I voted for Francis, over the season he has been our best player scoring vital goals to give us points which could prove decisive come the end of the season. Sure he''s having a dip at the moment but what player hasn''t this season. For £260K he''s improved the midfield a hell of a lot and still ranks for me as the best signing Worthy has made.