Sign in to follow this  
spencer 1970

Ayala finally gone...

...sold to Boro'' for £300K which seems a snip to me.

I thought he''d be worth more than that as I quite rated him. He a few games when he looked the complete player...but obviously not frequently enough for the powers that be.

He never really impressed during his time here, boro rate him though, I think if we aren''t going to get in cover for Turner then it would have been good to keep him. If he really has been sold then perhaps this is an indication that we''ve got someone else in.

If we''ve let him out then I reckon we probably have someone on the way in. Dodgy internet suggestions before today that Ciani will be signed by Saturday maybe not so dodgy?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Didn''t we pay nearly 1m for him?

[/quote]
Yeah not far off, I think it was about 700 or 800k, something like that anyway.

As above, replacement due in?

We probably got a bit of a loan fee in the past so in all it might add up to not that much of a loss.

Some you win.

Don''t think the timing is related to a new player coming in, more the fact Ayala''s loan now expired and Boro want him to be able to play tomorrow in the Cup (although they will have needed to sort the registration out by midday today for that).

Personally I don''t believe the Ciani rumours, but think a CB will be brought in on loan by the end of the window.

Pretty sure we paid 900k, for someone not playing for Liverpool. Dont see why that fee should have gone down after playing a few Prem games. Think he''s worth a bit more than that. But hey, if Hoolahan is only worth £750k...

It''s a stipulation in the Sky TV deal contract that most of the January signings must be last minute so that the Sky Transfer Countdown Clock gets maximum exposure.

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]Pretty sure we paid 900k, for someone not playing for Liverpool. Dont see why that fee should have gone down after playing a few Prem games. Think he''s worth a bit more than that. But hey, if Hoolahan is only worth £750k...[/quote]I think he only has 6 months left on his contract, which would impact the fee more than any perceived abilities.Either way, we''ve loaned him out a few times, so probably want close to breaking even when you factor in loan fees.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]A loan CB doesn''t sound too inspiring :( gotta say i think the window will be a boring disappointment for us.[/quote]

Chances of making big signings in January are always slim - you are looking for players being frozen out (a la Gutierrez) or players'' who contracts are coming to an end (a la Howson). Prices in January are incredibly inflated, and chances of getting a player whose current club actually want to keep hold of is incredibly slim.

By loaning players in Norwich can push the transfer costs on to the summer when they will have a better idea of finances. Despite the new TV deal Norwich are still paupers in the Premier League and won''t be throwing the cash around wildly.

I''d be happy for Norwich to get a CB in on loan until the end of the season - then Norwich have a better chance of signing a top quality defender for a price more reflective of their ability.

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]Pretty sure we paid 900k, for someone not playing for Liverpool. Dont see why that fee should have gone down after playing a few Prem games. Think he''s worth a bit more than that. But hey, if Hoolahan is only worth £750k...[/quote]

But how many clubs would be prepared to pay us that £900k for him and match his wages?

His wages are probably nearer the higher end of what most Champs clubs pay.

He''s not playing for us and it''s pretty obvious he hasn''t really got a future here. Hopefully Boro are so determined to get him they will pay that kind of money but I think we''ll be doing very well to get back what we paid.

I keep saying it and will say it again. We have a very promising youngster in Adel Gafaiti.

I''ve seen this lad play alongside, Bassong, Turner, Bennett and Ayala for the U21''s and he looked every bit as good as any of them, although that said it was the U21''s and the others were having a run out due to lack of 1st team games or they were returning from injury.

He is only 19 and therefore possibly a bit young as a CB making regular Prem appearances but as cover would be more than good enough IMO.

Wouldn''t be at all surprised to see him make an appearance this season but definitely one for next season.

Calm and collected, wins most aerial battles (bear in mind he has played against Prem CF''s returning from injury) and ping a ball with great accuracy.

Don''t be fooled by the low price, the loan period probably had a cost too, maybe they had first dibs to buy him in January as part of the clause.

Either way it definitely paves the way for a replacement