Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

FA Cup, distinction or distraction?

Cardiff, Hull, Palace, Fulham and Sunderland all have games against lower league opposition today and they should all go through, perhaps needing a replay though.

All firmly in our ''mini league'' and all now with a likely continued distraction that our dismal display at craven cottage resolved us from.

I fancied a bit of FA Cup glory for us this season, but I also fancied us to be slightly more secure in the table by now.

I firmly believe that Wigan paid the price last season as they were beginning to look the part towards the infamous run-in until the demands of the extra games took their toll.

All strength to our arm, IMO, and I shall, for this week at least hope the above teams win their games.

Early days I know, but every little helps.

It does seem that it can be either: some sides seem to manage to find some form in the cup and keep it going into their (previously poor form in) league games but it can give a false impression if you are only beating weaker sides. I tend to think it is more of a distraction for those at the lower end: too many games surely starts to tell in the form of injuries/tiredness, though obviously not until fixtures start to be postponed (ie after the 4th round).

what is galling is seeing watford and bournemouth having a real go at man city and liverpool and you know full well we would have done a 5 goal defeat no show at best...  thats what p1sses me off about spineless chris more than anything  we never give it a go and it''s boring and soul destroying... we even did a bloody no show against fulham[:@]