Sign in to follow this  
Dicky

Helveg not up to it

Why is Helveg unable to clear the ball easily rather than try and do the fancy stuff and cause problems at the back.  Not sure if Eddie is any better - desperately need a good, solid right back.  Also, Francis doesn''t look interested - obviously off in the summer.

Fleming, Shackell and Drury did all super then ? Really gets me picking on one defender, He has been priceless the last few games more than Edworthy could do. As for Francis ... Would you rather have holt in there then ? .. Charlton did good and should replace Fleming Also gives Jonson a go 

[quote]Why is Helveg unable to clear the ball easily rather than try and do the fancy stuff and cause problems at the back. Not sure if Eddie is any better - desperately need a good, solid right back. Also...[/quote]

not sure about helveg ? but then again you could be right about francis

in my opinion, that asmatic ant didnt do well enough. Couldnt run 10 yards without falling over a dozen times..........

very humourous thread. Helveg, when playing has probably been our best defender this season, and Francis, when playing, has probably been our best midfielder this season.

I would say that Greeno is second-rate and Ashton looks a championship player if we are funny farm talking :-)

I have to agree and say Francis doesn''t look interested.  He, for me, is the weak link in the midfield.  And no, I wouldn''t want Holt in his place.  Don''t know the answer tho!

Best city player bar none since our revival started.

Seriously hope hes here next year no matter where we are.
His crossing is sheer class and he''s a real leader.

Sorry have to disagree. Helveg is a classy defender, sure he may be getting on a bit, but he has shown a recent weeks what a good job he can do for us. I don''t think that any of the defenders played especially well on sat, so its unfair to single out helveg.

I think that Edworthy may be off in the summer, but even if he wasn''t to go, a young right back is needed. Both Edworthy and Helveg are getting on in years so a long term sucessor is needed.

You are having a laugh - some people dont recognise good defending over people who run like a headless chicken if that landed in their face.

Helveg is one of the reasons we have not yet been relegated.

OTBC 

Helveg & Francis are the 2 players that worry me most in the team at present - both seem to have a pretty laid-back approach to their game but maybe that''s just the perception.

[quote]Why is Helveg unable to clear the ball easily rather than try and do the fancy stuff and cause problems at the back. Not sure if Eddie is any better - desperately need a good, solid right back. Also...[/quote]

Ha ha I''m loving it. Who was the defender having to pick up Crouch for the 2nd goal? When the two centre halves got sucked in on the left then? Who was the defender trying to close down Le Saux and Camara in a last ditch attempt to block the shots in the middle? When the centre of defence went missing again!

Met the man at Colney last Friday when I went up there to get a shirt signed with "Helveg" on the back. I said "I haven''t put the numbers on the back as I didn''t know what squad number you would be next season." He replied " I am hoping to keep the same numbers as this year as I like 26"

Doesn''t look like he''s going anywhere next season then!

[quote]Helveg was at fault for the second goal, Crouch beat him for speed, he''s rubbish[/quote]

Hmmm! Let me see I believe Crouch is a centre forward is he not? So I would deduce in that case that a central defender should have been marking him should they not? Where were they? Oh yes I forgot doing such a good job out on the left wing! Give me strength someone crikey.

[quote]Hmmm! Let me see I believe Crouch is a centre forward is he not? So I would deduce in that case that a central defender should have been marking him should they not? Where were they? Oh yes I forgot d...[/quote]

Totally agree Meeky.  It''s obviously Helveg''s fault that he didn''t get from his right back position all the way to the left hand post quick enough.  It should not have been his responsibility to get to Crouch in the first place.

I can''t beleive people are getting on Helveg''s back again.  He has been quality in the last few games and anyone who would rather see a right back launch the ball into the stands than Helveg''s composure on the ball must be having a laugh.

[quote]Its funny, once we lose the players all of a sudden go from Heros to liabilities. I think Helveg has been great for us recently[/quote]

Its absolutely ridiculous. The team play well and everyone is heaping praise upon them, but one bad game and people want them out. FOR GOD''S SAKE some people need their heads examined. He''s only human and if he has a bad game then so what, one bad game is easily outweighed by countless superb performances that have given us a fighting chance to avoid relegation.

If you people are looking for scapegoats then look for someone who deserves it and has been consistently poor (only fleming fits the bill). At the end of the day its the whole team''s responsibility to attack and defend as a unit so to single one person out is just plain wrong.

Helveg is class and has made a massive contribution to us even being in with a chance of staying up over the last few games.

However for me he could have done more on the third goal. When Camara got the ball Helveg was there but instead of forcing him out wide left space on the INSIDE and gave him the chance to shoot. That''s not good- its  a basic lesson that you force the player wide in that situation.

Neverthless the form he has shown in the last few games has been good and he will be a rock for next year whether Champ or Prem.

[quote]Helveg was at fault for the second goal, Crouch beat him for speed, he''s rubbish[/quote]

O right ok, sack him because he was at fault for one goal. Think how many he has prevented since replacing eddy

Still stick by my original comments - stick to the basics rather than trying to show boat which gets us into trouble.

As I have been saying all season, Helveg is a very good tackler (one of the best in the club)and is able to hold players off quite well. His major weak points this season have been passing to the opposition (I would say his passing accuracy is abt 50-60% max), looks for the difficult ball across the middle rather playing it into space down the flanks, and finally gets turned to easily. He will do very well in the Championship if it comes to that.