Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Your valuation of Becchio

We signed Steve Morison for 2.8m. After a good first half of his debut season with lots of goals and Tottenham rumoured to be looking at him for 8m (yes I know), followed by a largely fruitless season, we swapped him (and with a slight top up about 200k was rumoured) as a player 18 months older (proven Premier league performer but with big drop in form, which seems to have been sustained) for Becchio, an in form goalscorer, albeit unproven in the Premier League, but of similar age. A year older and having barely kicked a ball for all of that time - what is his valuation?

Its hard to know what the ''book value'' of Becchio is because it depends so much on what your perception of Morsions value is/was.

Morison had proved himself capable of scoring goals in the Premier League, so that should make his value go up. But he was badly out of form, had played very little for about a year, and of course had aged - so what was his value when we sold him compared to the 2.8m we paid for him?

If for the sake of argument you consider Morisons value to have remained consistent at 2.8m, then that puts Becchio''s book value at 3m. How relevent is that valuation now, considering he''s basically grown mould for the last calendar year?

So there are two questions to answer - what do we feel Becchio''s book value is (ie how much did we essentially pay for him)? and what is his value now?

My guess is that Morison''s value was probably around the 2m mark, so I would suggest a 2m book value for Becchio is quite realistic. The guy has essentially been left to rot, but was a proven Championship striker, and most would probably consider him to still be. I would guess this would probably halve his value.

So my guess would be - book value 2m, current value 1m

What do others think?

i dont think 2.8m was what we actually paid for him, i rememeber at the time either lambert or mcnally saying the fee wasnt anywhere near what the press had been saying. I think £1m is probably a fair price for becchio tho.

Value to us atm? Not a lot.

Value to a Championship club aiming for a play-off spot eg. Leeds, £1-1.5m.

FFP is inhibiting spending down there though and most transfers so far this window have been cheapies or freebies.

On the basis he has only scored one less goal than RvW in much less time on the pitch, (34 mins v 831 mns, that''s almost 9 entire matches) I would suggest his value is similar to, or more than, RvW''s, whatever that is!!

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Value to us atm? Not a lot.

Value to a Championship club aiming for a play-off spot eg. Leeds, £1-1.5m.

FFP is inhibiting spending down there though and most transfers so far this window have been cheapies or freebies.[/quote]

You''ve got to think that he would be considered a realistic target for a championship team looking to boost their chances. Its pretty much what those teams can afford (forgetting Blackburn''s purchase of Rhodes)

Can''t see Becchio sold perhaps on loan to Championship. City may need if relegation happens Becchio quality in Championship. If we go down can see Hooper getting move, RVW unlikely to get move on form shown to date.

That''s a bit over the top Ginger, my calculator came up with £4.87.

Well if some on here think Pilkington is a £10 million player , Becchio must be worth £6 or7 million . Pilkington £4 million tops , Becchio around £750,000 . The Wolf we would be hard pressed to give away .

Do you want The value to the nearest billion or as an Approximate fraction based on Cody mcdonalds value?