Sign in to follow this  
NECanary (Trowse Canary?)

A North East lad moving to Norwich

Two girls, one is 4yrs and the other is 7yrs.

Not much of a wrench for the youngest, but the oldest will need to have a good set around her as she hasn''t really taken the move well. She obviously has a few relations (cousins) going to another few schools in the area, so that is something to consider.

So one of the good things about Sprowston (if the eldest does make friends quickly) is that you get the continuity for the next 9-11 years (if does Sixth Form) and the youngest would for the whole schooling year in that all ages of schools are in Sprowston. I don''t know how that works in Trowse though as haven''t lived near there but obviously for High School you have The Hewitt, Eaton CNS, Notre Dame, all relatively close to Trowse. Depends whether that continuity is considered good or not. I loved having the same circle of people around for First and Middle School (lived in Spixworth) and then nearly everyone went to the same High School.

Going to have to have a chat with my other half.

We''re down there for three nights, staying over at her parents house. We''ve got plenty of time to take a look around and get ourselves a bit more focused. Obviously, she has only been away for maybe 11 years now so she''ll still know a fair amount.

As for me, I am set on Trowse by all accounts and looking at schools on the web now.

I''ve also tried to convince her to let me and her dad and brothers go to Carrow Road on Tuesday night. She has told me that I might look like a spy wearing a Norwich top and speaking in a north east accent...

[quote user="NECanary"]Going to have to have a chat with my other half.

We''re down there for three nights, staying over at her parents house. We''ve got plenty of time to take a look around and get ourselves a bit more focused. Obviously, she has only been away for maybe 11 years now so she''ll still know a fair amount.

As for me, I am set on Trowse by all accounts and looking at schools on the web now.

I''ve also tried to convince her to let me and her dad and brothers go to Carrow Road on Tuesday night. She has told me that I might look like a spy wearing a Norwich top and speaking in a north east accent...[/quote]What would be your budget to buy or rent a house?

A couple of rules of thumb. If you''re inside the inner ring road, the northern half is generally better. If you''re outside the inner ring but within the outer ring, then south of the river is considered better. North of the river is maybe a bit ''edgier'' and friendlier in my experience, the northern end of Aylsham Road being quite pleasant and near to most things.Ouside the outer ring most areas are at least okay and have their pros and cons, but the North West side eg Hellesdon and Drayton are quite well regarded. Taverham is popular but they seem a rum old lot whenever I venture that way.

[quote user="NECanary"]Willing to stretch to £1,400 per calendar month for rental and have a budget of around £275,000 for a purchase.

Don''t really like talking money, but it gives an idea.[/quote]There isn''t much to rent or purchase at Trowse.As you have a family look towards just to the east of Norwich to Thorpe St Andrew, Salhouse, Hemblington, Blofield, Brundall, Strumpshaw, Reedham, Acle. Search on rightmove for NR7 and NR13 postcodes.From there it is very easy and quick to get into the city centre, and Sprowson area, and to the coast, and you will be next to the Norfolk Broads.  There is a great RSPB place at Strumpshaw which the kids would love for family walks during the summer.For renting I would get somewhere modern at Dussindale (NR7 postcode) as it would be stress-free and very quick to get into the city centre and places around the ring road, so ideal as a base for house hunting.If looking for somewhere to buy for a family, my advice is:To the East: Walk down by the Rushcutters pub at Thorpe St Andrew, then drive down the A47, down the high street at Brundall (which has lots of local amenities) and have a look at the marina by the train station by the Yare pub, then drive through Strumpshaw and Lingwood, then stop at Reedham to have a walk along the Riverside by The Ship pub, then to Acle to have a look at the sports club. That whole area is highly sought-after and has the lowest crime rates in the country.To the West: Have a look at Old Costessey (not to be confused with Costessey or new Costessey).To the North: I wouldn''t bother looking at North Norwich at all unless you like huge housing estates, Asda and aircraft noise. To the South: Wymondham (have a look at the old railway station tea rooms and the Abbey) and Loddon.

@Tom Cavendish

Thank you so very much mate.

Absolutely invaluable information and we are delighted with the time you have taken to provide us with your input.

It really means a lot.

We will definitely take a great deal of this into consideration. I am really grateful.

I grew up in NR7 & moved to NR13 - both very nice family-friendly areas. I currently live in Brundall near the Primary School here. It''s a terrific school with a really cool guitar-playing Headmaster who really relates to his staff and pupils. My 8 year old can''t wait to get started each day.

Bizarrely, there are two train stations in this village that take you straight to Norwich station - perfect for match days.

Or jump in my car for a free lift!...

£275k will get you a decent 4-bed property too.

Rent for about 12 months Thorpe St Andrew & Dussindale (NR7) area. It is near to a Sainsbury''s, the schools are good and modern, crime rates are very low, and it''s very quick into the city centre.For your budget have a look at renting this:http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-44358545.htmlWhich is only a few min''s walk to one of the best real ale pubs in the country:http://fatcatcanary.co.uk/

[quote user="NECanary"]That property looks tremendous Tom...

Very intrigued.

Added to the growing list.

Thanks again.[/quote]The advice from Norfolk Mustard about Brundall (NR13) is very good. Brundall is quite posh and you might see some players there... If looking to buy then that is a great place to live and ideal to raise a young family. According to several people I know there is a brilliant cheap nursery right next to the junior school and kids really love going to them both just as Norfolk Mustard has said. I have heard the school has very recently become very good. There are also school buses to senior schools for when the kids are older. From Brundall it would still be very quick into the city centre and to Sprowson. Brundall is on the Norfolk broads so great for wildlife and boating, easy to get to the coast, and has great transport links. I can''t really think of a better place around Norwich for a young family to live.However, if you want a base to rent whilst you find your way around the city centre and the villages then Thorpe St Andrew, Dussindale (NR7) is ideal.