Sign in to follow this  
NECanary (Trowse Canary?)

A North East lad moving to Norwich

Good morning ladies and gentlemen.

Wanted to introduce myself briefly before posting on the forums. I am originally from the North East of England (but NOT Newcastle I hasten to add!) and I am currently in the process of moving down to Norwich with my wife and family. Her family are from the Sprowston area and I''ve managed to get work in the area.

Been with her for 9 years now and she and her family are MEGA Norwich City fans! I''ve been slowly converted and I am pretty excited about actually getting to see some games at Carrow Road.

We''ve been looking at properties in either Sprowston or Trowse Newton. What are general thoughts on both areas? Wife obviously prefers being near family on Sprowston.

Just wanted to drop by and sign in.

Cheers.

Welcome NEC. My son went to Uni in Newcastle some years ago, so I know that area quite well, and I suspect you''ll find Norwich a bit quiet compared to there ! But none the worse for that, and you could do a lot worse than the Sprowston area. Depends on how much money you''ve got ? One suggestion I always make on these occasions is are you considering renting in a district before you buy ? Know it''s a bit of a hassle, but I''ve fallen into the trap myself in buying and then regretting it, so now if I move rent first to taste and try ! Just an idea.The second half of the season promises to be something of a white knuckle ride, so we need all the support we can get.

Welcome to the bitchfest.necanary.

Trowse is ok, walkable to the city / carra. Very close to the southern bypass if you like transport links but you will hear road noise depending on where the house is positioned.

Sprowston is ok, bike, bus or car to the city / carra.

Meant to add, some areas.of Sprowston are close to the airport flight path, may or may not be an issue to you.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"] The options are being close to the in-laws and far away from Carrow Road ][/quote]You always have to put a negative spin on everything, Purple.....oops, sorry...wrong thread. !!

Thanks for the welcome. I can''t wait to get down to Norwich now.

I''m a real ale enthusiast, a literature demon and a history geek. I am thinking that Norwich is pretty much my dream city. Most likely why my wonderful wife appealed to me so much... ; )

Looking forward to it though, sincerely. I reckon Norwich is a city that I will fall in love with immediately.

[quote user="NECanary"]Thanks for the welcome. I can''t wait to get down to Norwich now.

I''m a real ale enthusiast, a literature demon and a history geek. I am thinking that Norwich is pretty much my dream city.
Most likely why my wonderful wife appealed to me so much... ; )

Looking forward to it though, sincerely. I reckon Norwich is a city that I will fall in love with immediately.[/quote]Plenty of history to enjoy down here NEC.Having once lived in Trowse for over 10 yrs I can recommend the village to you, I still miss it. Sprowston is a suburb but Trowse is a village and also closer to the City centre and Carrow Rd.No contest really.

Norwich is great for real ale pubs.Trowse, Old Costessey, Thorpe St Andrew, Blofield, Brundall, Eaton, Cringleford are all good areas in which to live.

Welcome to the board. Obviously depends on what sort of budget you''ve got, but if it were up to me i''d go for Trowse. Sprowston''s a fairly average suburb, Trowse is a Village with a Village feel, but only 20 mins walk from the city centre. Plus it''s right next to Whitlingham Country Park and the Broads. Commute to Sprowston for your work won''t be particulary bad. 15-20 mins each way at the most in traffic.

Welcome to Norwich. Plenty of history and real ale here and we are UNESCO''s first English City of Literature. UEA has a great list of visiting speakers that you can hear. I would greatly recommend a family membership of the Norfolk County Council museums too, which allows you unlimited access to some very good museums at a very reasonable yearly fee - some of them are great for kids too (no, I''m not on commission).Used to live in Trowse as well and would say it''s one of the best areas of Norwich to live. Again, good for kids; not much traffic; a little park nearby and Whitlingham just down the road and good easy options if you like to take a stroll. I hope you love it as much as I do!

[quote user="thebigdub"]Twinned with Rouen, koblenz, novi sad, and el viejo......[/quote]and now UNESCO city of literature....we aren’t all stupid round here!

[quote user=" Badger"]Welcome to Norwich. Plenty of history and real ale here [/quote]Now 3 branches of the Fat Cat for a start. That should keep you occupied for a while.When my lad was at Uni in Newcastle, there was a pub that sold two fantastic real ales from a brewery called Mordues. One was called Workie Ticket and the other Radgy Gadgy. Do they still exist ?

[quote user="Barclay seats 4849 the 3rd"]Sprowston is a bit of a rough area,, high crime rate ...likely to be robbed and or stabbed ,,,better take your chances in Trowse :)[/quote]Straight outa Sprowston, crazy m**therf**ker named BarneyFrom the gang called "Sprowston Y''army"He''ll intimidate ya, he''ll outpsyche ya,He''ll burn you off in his Y Reg Nissan MicraWhen he''s at Carrow Road, he be poutin''''Cos he can''t be doing with that Chrissy HoughtonHe wants his club back, he owns a wine rackHe drinks Lambrini while listening to TupacSo if you''re in his hood, you''d better duckBarney and the Y''army are crazy as f**kSo if you''re name ain''t Johnny Howson,M**therf**ker best look out, he''s comin'' straight outa Sprowston

Driving down tomorrow to look at a few properties in both areas. We''ve decided we might try and rent for a month or two before securing any long term deal.

I''m leaning heavily towards Trowse Norton and I think I might be able to persuade the missus.

Even my father in law thinks it would be the better option for the bairns so that''s a big tick.

[quote user="NECanary"]Driving down tomorrow to look at a few properties in both areas. We''ve decided we might try and rent for a month or two before securing any long term deal.

I''m leaning heavily towards Trowse Norton and I think I might be able to persuade the missus.

Even my father in law thinks it would be the better option for the bairns so that''s a big tick.[/quote]

I think that''s Trowse "Newton",  NEC, unless I''m mistaken.   Watch out for Hughton outers - they are easy to spot -  they have their jaws hanging down near the ground and look bored...........Seriously though, hope you enjoy living down there.   The climate is  a tad warmer than up here too!  

Don''t even think about setting foot here until you know what a bishy barny bee is and can pronounce Wymondham, Happisburgh and Potter Heigham properly ! [:P]

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]Don''t even think about setting foot here until you know what a bishy barny bee is and can pronounce Wymondham, Happisburgh and Potter Heigham properly ! [:P][/quote]

A ladybird named after Bloody Bishop Bonner?

My wife once said ''reasty'' and ''sluss'' in a sentence to me...

I was quite offended when I weedled the meanings out of her.

I''d only had 5 bottles of Woodfordes Wherry. Her in laws bought it for me for Christmas.

Sprowston, Land of the Uber Plastics, if some on here are to be believed.

welcome to Norwich, a fine city, with a uniquely small gene pooljust remember, with you being a no tail, dont stay out later than 12, they dont like thaaat round ere boyo

How old are the Barns NEC? Sprowston has some ok schools and the High School is pretty decent but if you were in Trowse they would have a much bigger option of schools (but further to travel). If you were in Sprowston they have First, Middle, and High School all there.

I lived on King Street for a while and always used to walk the dog down to Trowse and if I could afford to, would move there in a heartbeat but the houses are fairly pricey there due to location, village, etc.

A few other places to consider are Thorpe, Spixworth, Costessey. There''s lots of good places to live as well as bad but it would obviously come down to what you''re looking for.