Sign in to follow this  
jim blair

RVW Hooper Becchio Elmander

So as the window approaches closure does Mr Hughton really believe that these 4 are enough firepower to keep us in the premier league?

Cant see it myself  i know this is a difficult window to operate in but if we dont push the boat out i can only see one outcome.

Still think Jordan Rhodes would do a job personally

I do think this is an area that we could do with someone, who I don''t know, Rhodes is quality but think would demand a big price. Perhaps we will get a nice suprise before end of window

[quote user="splutcho"]Given that we''re mid table I''d say we''re ok so far. Won''t be getting anyone unless Becchio goes.[/quote]We are mid table because we were lucky enough to have had Hull at home last match , the best team we have beat this season is Southampton and that in itself should have alarm bells ringing.

We have nothing wrong with our strikers and definently not a place which would need any reinforcements.

Dont get why so many people have fixation that we should have 5 strikers to get goals.

Both RvW and Hooper are good players who will score, if our midfield start to provide them with chances.

We have a bigger problem providing supply to the strikers, Hooper and RVW will get plenty of goals, Becchio I honestly have no idea and Elmander, whilst not prolific does a decent target man job (when allowed to do so!)

For me we lack creativity in midfield, and I think when Howson comes back hopefully we''ll play him alongside Fer and we''ll look a bit more of a threat.

elmander isn''t and never has been a target man though, yes he works hard, but in the long term is not what we need. Glad to have him this season as long as we spend again at the end of the season to get someone better to look to improve the squad

once we drop this absurd ''zonal'' sh  ite we may see the team attack as a whole and get the ball to the forwards as well as support them in attack

until then you can have virtually any player up front and with dire negative tactics they will struggle

odd how some can''t see the blindingly obvious

[quote user="splutcho"]Over the course of over half of the season, we are 12th. Stop talking bollocks.[/quote]12th that could easily be bottom 3 after two or three games , stop trying to make out we are mid table and safe when we are perilously close to the drop .

With the goal scoring tally so low, that is one issue in itself. But surely the real issue should be that if one of Hooper or RVW gets injured as we hit February, do you really only want to have Elmander and Becchio as the replacements? Especially as we have recently been adopting some form of a 4-4-2 in some games.
I think that spending the sort of money for a Rhodes or Ings who can carry on their good form and winning mentality (rather than a player in a Prem team who hasn''t been playing, and possibly on their way down the ladder) would be a 5-10m well spent in the scheme of the bigger picture.
I can''t pretend to know the full cost of our summer dealings. But people often forget RVW was signed from last seasons budget. So this 25mill was not just one transfer windows worth of money. It was more like 16mill if we were taking out RVW.
Surely there is money for a ST, AM, and CB. With us not having to buy all, but possibly loaning one of them to get us to the summer.

"I think that spending the sort of money for a Rhodes or Ings who can carry on their good form and winning mentality........"

Judging by the treatment dished out to an ''in form and free-scoring'' Becchio, Hughton is the last man to be trusted with any ''in form'' strikers........

We''re in the same boat as about ten clubs. Stop making out like we are bottom.

Incidentally people, get used to fighting relegation, this is about our level.

[quote user="CanaryOne"][quote user="splutcho"]Given that we''re mid table I''d say we''re ok so far. Won''t be getting anyone unless Becchio goes.[/quote]We are mid table because we were lucky enough to have had Hull at home last match , the best team we have beat this season is Southampton and that in itself should have alarm bells ringing.[/quote]

Er, no. The reason we''re mid table is because we''ve played half a season and 8 teams have got fewer points than we have. That''s how league tables work.

Both Hooper and RvW have had injuries in the first half of the season and we do sit mid table despite that limitation (and the impact the wingers injuries have had in our creativity)   With a fit Tettey back as a platform for midfield and our creative players actually fit tehre are reasons to be optimistic.

That with signs that both continue to improve in their deput PL season and I have confidence that they will score enough goals between to make us safe.

If Lovenkands is the level of available striker then we are better off with what we have.

If it''s a straight swap, or rather one in and one out, fine, but it''d be totally pointless to bring in a 5th striker when we already have furstrated strikers on the bench. Also we have the option of playing Wes behind Hooper or RvW.

As others have said, it''s the supply we need to sort out - the relevant and correct investments in our strike force have already been made.

By ''eck what an idea let''s by more strikers and ruin their careers by never giving them any service whilst selling of our creative players. Let''s essentially starve the strikers!! Shame we can''t do it to the opposition but we''ve perfected starving our own forward(s)