Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Wal

Obscene

So, poor little Mr Rooney is set to get £250,000 a week!

I understand that our players as Premiership players are on an average wage about £25,000 a week and that that is low for the Premiership.

Now does that mean for 52 weeks a year or for about 40-45 weeks?

Let''s look at that another way, If it''s for 52 weeks that''s £13M per annum for Mr Rooney or on 42 weeks a mere £10.5M p.a. Even our ''poor'' players are millionaires each year.

So while people have recently made representation about the Prime Minister being overpaid (on less than half per annum as Mr Rooney''s weekly wage) I think it is about time that something was done to stop these obscene wages.

Perhaps if there was a ceiling on admission prices the clubs would not be able to pay such massive wages.

Perhaps if the monopoly on showing Premiership football was lifted we could all watch it for less instead of having to pay through the nose for Sky. All the greedy elements make the average supporter of the ''people''s game'' pay excessively for their love.

Perhaps the problem in this country isn''t that there are too many people without enough money but too many people with far too much.

I imagine that gate reciepts are minimal compared to sponsorships deals at home and abroad!

K Lo wrote the following post at 25/01/2014 11:26 PM:

I imagine that gate reciepts are minimal compared to sponsorships deals at home and abroad!

So there should be no problem in limiting the admission prices so that the poorer in society can also get the enjoyment of attending matches occasionally.

[quote user="K Lo"]I imagine that gate reciepts are minimal compared to sponsorships deals at home and abroad![/quote]
That''s why the board will never expand the stadium unless we get a sugar daddy with money to burn.  It''s not economically viable when sponsor/sky money is loads more than money raked in, in gate receipts.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]K Lo wrote the following post at 25/01/2014 11:26 PM:

So there should be no problem in limiting the admission prices so that the poorer in society can also get the enjoyment of attending matches occasionally.[/quote]
In theory, but they won''t while demand is high.

Clubs are businesses, not charities. Why would they drop ticket prices when they''re filling the stadium more or less every game? There doesn''t seem to be a particular shortage of young fans at carrow rd, so I''d say there''s not a real problem with pricing the next generation of fans out of the game.

Rooney''s wages are presumably worth the outlay to Man Utd. If he''s worth it, why shouldn''t he get it? If they''re not willing to pay what he thinks he''s worth then he can move on.

Spot on, QHC. The market determines the value of each players'' worth. If Rooney is taxed at 40%, don''t you think he''s already giving a fair share? Successful people in various walks of life earn as much or more. It''s not just athletes. He''s one of the best in the world at what he does so his wages should reflect that.

If he does ads for a wig company and their sales increase, the wig company will feel like whatever they paid him for using their product was worth it.

I dont like him but I don''t begrudge his income.

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]Rooney pays 45% income tax.

He had a nice tax cut from 50% thanks to our "all in it together" government[/quote]Separate issue completely to Rooney''s Man U salary, with respect, Hairy, but, overall I agree with your feelings.As far as Rooney''s wages are concerned, all this sort of stuff is a bit ''politics of envy'', isn''t it ? Generally, I have no problem with top people in any walk of life getting the top salaries. The top rated singers, actors, golfers, doctors, lawyers, bankers, accountants tend to earn the top wages. Nothing new in that.What does tend to grate with me in football is where average journeymen players are paid incredible salaries for doing just an average job.

Aside of politics, taxation, envy or whatever.........it is clear that the payments to some EPL players has got out of control and does need some form of control. I personally never have had any problem with what anybody earns, the best of luck to that individual I say, get what you can......BUT, anyone can see, looking at the bigger picture, that its getting ridiculous and will only end up damaging our great game. Perhaps some kind of squad total expenditure cap, but how it would work I have no clue, it would certainly be a challenge to implement but is needed.

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]

Aside of politics, taxation, envy or whatever.........it is clear that the payments to some EPL players has got out of control and does need some form of control. I personally never have had any problem with what anybody earns, the best of luck to that individual I say, get what you can......BUT, anyone can see, looking at the bigger picture, that its getting ridiculous and will only end up damaging our great game. Perhaps some kind of squad total expenditure cap, but how it would work I have no clue, it would certainly be a challenge to implement but is needed.

[/quote]Even if what you suggest was a good idea, Mark (and I''m not convinced it is), but, as you imply,it would be a nightmare to draw up and an even bigger one to implement.Just for starters, who would say what the ''cap'' was, and on what criteria would he base it.? Then there would be the inevitable legal challenges...restraint of trade, EU employment law, to name but two.And, in the end, you know as well as I do that the big clubs can afford better and more wily lawyers and accountants to dream up ever more arcane avoidance schemes, so, there is the real chance that the whole thing could backfire and actually benefit the big clubs even more.

Whereas I must agree with ''sale and demand'' and salaries that people are supposedly worth, I have no choice, I think some people need to differentiate between what are the ''politics of envy'' and what are the ''politics of greed''.

We have all seen the results of the ''greedy'' bankers and the effect that has had on everyone and the country.

Continued spiraling player salaries will not benefit the clubs, will not benefit lesser players and will not benefit the supporters.

It will only benefit the greedy minority.

It''s always footballers wages that gets peoples backs up isn''t it? What about Formula 1 drivers or golfers, boxers, tennis players and so on. They are at the top of their profession that they have dedicated their lives to. Good luck to them.

The Premier League''s Financial Fair Play rules are supposed to start having an effect (and seem to be on some clubs). If a club spends more than £52m a year on wages then it is limited to an extra £4m a year afterwards. The get-out clause is that if a club negotiates extra commercial deals then it can ignore the £52m rule. Presumably that is the case with Man United, as a  world brand. If only there was a danger of the club not qualifying for the Champions League every season...

Ultimately, it is purely down to the basic principle of supply and demand. There is a global audience with an unquenchable appetite for football who are prepared to pay a premium for it. So why shouldn''t the very best players get their share? Rooney is a wonderful player who puts bums on seats and entertains. I honestly have no problem with what he earns for that reason.

However, where I do have a problem is when you get very ordinary players such as Joey Barton trousering around £100k a week. That is utterly ridiculous. But that is again is more a criticism of Tony Fernandes being stupid enough to sanction that kind of spending rather than a criticism of Barton himself. We would all have signed that contract if it was put to us.

It''s up to the business how much they pay their employees, it''s not like it''s coming out of our taxes like soldiers or something.

[quote user="Cambridge Yellow"]

However, where I do have a problem is when you get very ordinary players such as Joey Barton trousering around £100k a week. That is utterly ridiculous. But that is again is more a criticism of Tony Fernandes being stupid enough to sanction that kind of spending rather than a criticism of Barton himself. We would all have signed that contract if it was put to us.[/quote]Pretty much the point I was making earlier this morning, Cambs. Indeed Mr Barton was one of the people who came to mind when I made it !I suppose , to play devil''s advocate, all these things are relative. Percentage wise, Barton is perhaps as instrumental in putting bums on Loftus Road seats as Rooney is Old Trafford ones, Hazard is on Stamford Br ones, Messi is on Nou Camp ones, and Ronaldo is on Bernabeu ones. You are right. In the end it''s the right of the club owner/shareholders to spend their money in the way they think fit. And, if that involves lining the pockets of Joey Barton and his ilk, then there''s not a lot we can do about it.

Again ... just to add fuel to the fire ....... it has been said that people at the very top of their profession should receive just rewards.

But the Prime Minister, one of the top six? leaders in the world receives per annum around the same as Joey Barton received each week.

Does that not seem disproportional?

Why is it obscene? Manchester United, and their sponsors use his image to generate a vast amount of money for them and their relevant stakeholders. Why is it ''obscene'' that he gets compensated for this? If the players didn''t get a fair wedge of the money generated by the use of their talent and image, then who should? Team owners and shareholders? Sponsors?He''s getting paid that amount because the various people at the club believe he will generate them more money than that in ways of performance, as well as other activities. It''s simple supply and demand. You can argue that there is too much money in football? Sure, that''s a different argument. But as its the players generating all that interest in the game, and ultimately revenue, you can''t argue that they should get a decent share of that money.

I go back to my point about taxation (I mentioned it Reg because the previous poster wrongly said Rooney paid 40%).

It''s down to clubs to pay what they want to their employees. It''s simply a commercial judgement and I have no issues with that at all. Some make good judgements and other bad ones and go into administration.

Taxation is another issue. Someone earning these sorts of amounts can pay less tax than their cleaner in percentage terms because of tax avoidance scams and clever contracts and that is what is actually obscene. IMO.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]Spot on, QHC. The market determines the value of each players'' worth. If Rooney is taxed at 40%, don''t you think he''s already giving a fair share? Successful people in various walks of life earn as much or more. It''s not just athletes. He''s one of the best in the world at what he does so his wages should reflect that.

If he does ads for a wig company and their sales increase, the wig company will feel like whatever they paid him for using their product was worth it.

I dont like him but I don''t begrudge his income.[/quote]At least he hasn''t cleared out to another country where he''d pay less tax like some other so-called sportsmen yet still ply his trade as British.

Saying Joey Barton is average is silly. About 90 teams make up the FA. Thats maybe 2500 players in a countwantry of, what, 60 million? He''s in the top half of those. As big a disk as he is, he is WAY better than average.

As for lowering tax rates being bad, next election, pick someone else. As my quote below says, if you don''t like what you got, rearrange it.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]. .

As for lowering tax rates being bad, next election, pick someone else. As my quote below says, if you don''t like what you got, rearrange it.[/quote]Well, in a democracy, that pretty much goes without saying, HC. Trouble is, it all rather depends on what taxation policies are on offer , when the politicking starts prior to next year''s gen election. As things stand, there isn''t much difference between the 4 main parties , though presumably UKIP will become a little more specific than their current ''back of a fag packet '' jottings.I take your point about Barton. Of course he is way above average in the professional game, but, I do not think that high salaries are particularly an issue for those who ply their trade in Lge Two and The Skrill !

If the big parties thought they could get more votes by promising to jack up taxes, they would be campaigning on that theme.

As for Barton, I realize the top 2 divisions have far more money and therefore dickweeds like Barton make big money, but the "what the market will bear" relates to all of us, not just the Rooneys and Van Wolfswinkels.

300k, nice if u can get it.Take me 18 years to earn that amount, sheeshDoes that put it into perspective??I think it does.