Sign in to follow this  
Juggy

Lack of ambition or unattractive as a club?

It feels like everybody around us in the relegation battle is bringing in some real quality.

Only Swansea, West Brom and Palace are yet to do business, and Fulham have a solitary loan signing just like us.

We seem to have spent all last summer chasing Serie A players and are apparently interested in more this January but so far have failed to land any, and then West Ham go and complete the double loan signing of two Italian internationals?

We get linked to the likes of Lovekrands, Danns and Guthrie, all players who are not in this division for a reason.

I know that business often gets done at the very last minute in January but Hughton''s late signings have hardly been inspiring - Harry Kane last summer, Lucciano Becchio last January.

We''ve seen one or two surprises in the past, Bassong was one that came out of nowhere, but just doesn''t feel like we''ve made any progress at all in capturing our number one targets and if Guthrie and Lovenkrands are genuine bits of news then that surely must be plucked from the D list like Becchio.

Looking forward to our standard final day substandard panic buy.

Hoots said today he''s looking for some players, and that they''re not the ones who''s names are being associated us "that''s agents drumming up business"

So probably akinfenwa, the customary mackail smith, oh and HOLA toy-thrower-toivonen

so you have NO idea who we have bid for or enquired about but it still doesn''t stop you griping

Well you are hardly a bundle of joy yourself City1st, must have missed your tenure as resident pinkun optimist.

I don''t suppose Chris Hughton''s selection policy and handling of Luc Becchio have helped at all. I wonder if CH actually attracts players at all, oh for the days when players were attracted to the club just because of the managers reputation.

Lol I suspect you''ll be pathetic after the window as well. Just a hunch haha

You name 4 sides (below us) who have done the same or less business than us as though this is horrendous, whereas the truth is that it means there''s only 4 (of the 8) beneath us who have done more. Interesting what you can do with stats, isn''t it. To me this rather indicates we''re much the same as everyone else.

I have to say I''m unclear just who is it that is bringing in ''real quality'', too? To date, very few moves have happened that we''d be interested in, surely.

If you/we want to complain about the moves in the transfer window and whether we''ve done ok, you have to wait for it to close: that is the truth of it, and imo Jonas is as reasonable a signing as anyone else has made so far.

Who said anything about teams beneath us? There are 11 teams in the relegation mix, starting with Villa in 10th to Cardiff in 20th.

If you want to shrink the field of relegation threatened teams then you would need to justify why you believe Hull and Villa to be clear of the pack, something which I don''t believe stats will help you do convincingly.

Jonas is an alright signing but if you think he is on par with Nocerino then your deluded.

Who exactly is this real quality being brought in then? Kenwynne Jones? I''ve seen some business but no one I''ve thought was a gamechanger in the relegation battle.

In fact, Jonas is as good as anyone else has bought in the lower half so far.

"Well you are hardly a bundle of joy yourself City1st, must have missed your tenure as resident pinkun optimist "

oh dear

oh dearie me

did I post up some nonsense about who we have supposedly bid for ?

I think not

Le Juge, the January transfer doesn''t normally see each Premier League club bringing in a whole host of world class superstars so no point singling us/Hughton out for a crap transfer window - IT IS a crap transfer window full stop, end of. It''s not worth getting excited about. Also, i think you''re getting a little carried away with the romanticisms of Big Sams loan signings purely because they''re Italian and so you think ''foreign quality'' i guess? Neither are current Italy internationals as far as i know - and there''s probably good reason for that.

How are Villa getting away with not being considered in the relegation pack?

West Ham have signed two Italian internationals, Villa have signed Ryan Bertrand Champions League finalist, Cardiff have signed several young Scandinavian internationals and Zaha and Fabio, Fulham have signed Clint Dempsey their former talisman, Hull have spent £13m in this window, Stoke have signed John Guidetti, Sunderland have signed several players.

Why would you choose to compare Kenwyn Jones with our signing in that field of talent?

Fans have been saying for months that we need a centre back and a number 10, and many others have been pointing out that we lack quality at right back.

And what we''ve signed is a wide player despite now having Pilkington and Snodgrass back from injury, Redmond and Murphy in contention and Elliott Bennett back in a month or so.

We have failed so far to address the areas of our team which are seriously lacking. Jonas is an alright signing, gives us something different and a bit of steel but that type of player wouldn''t have been at the top of my list of priorities and I''ve never seen anybody on here suggest it would have been top of theirs either.

A centre back and somebody to feed Hooper and RVW must surely have been the priorities, and they remain so!

"Neither are current Italy internationals as far as i know - and there''s probably good reason for that"

Neither was Quags who everybody creamed themselves over, and why not go and find out how many caps Di Canio got in his career.

"Some possibilities. A few maybes. A lot of risks"

Every signing is a risk, every signing is a potential flop.

Eh Le Juge how is Nocerino any better than Jonas? Milan outcast that Milan fans have cried out of the club more than our fans have cried Hughton.

At the end decent one sided player and probably will do ok in West Ham, but quite equal in level with Jonas, but also in much greater wages. Argentina is no worse team than Italy and their last game for national team is quite much from same time.

And last word wages is the key here. West Ham, Cardif etc have quite much money behind them. Still I havent seen any key signings except for Hull in this january. Guti, Nocerino, Boriello, Dempsey etc are more like squad strenghtening signings.

Also I at least don''t want us to sign anyone just for getting more players. We have ok squad and only areas we are missing is key playmaker and 1 centre back more. Last one is possible for us in winter window, but I just cant see us finding a playmaker (neither advanced nore deeplying) with current market situation.

Most likely we will see only one defensive signing more if even that and we will still do just fine compared those who sign for signing sake.

"but quite equal in level with Jonas, but also in much greater wages"

Well apparently Nocerino is on £1.5m euros per year and Gutierrez £50k a week (£2.6m a year) so back to the drawing board with that one Lavanche.

"West Ham, Cardif etc have quite much money behind them"

West Ham are £77m in debt mate!

"Oh yeah and to add on, I wasn''t so keen for Quags either"

Agree completely there Lavanche, didn''t see what all the fuss was about. Capable of scoring the occasional world class goal but then so are many average players.