Sign in to follow this  
birchfest

Best time to face Newcastle?

It''s got to be said that Newcastle have had a strong start to the season, after a mixed bag last year Remy appears to be the missing link that has made them start to look like a top 6 side, however....

On the day they have lost possibly the best player they have had in the last couple of seasons, at a midweek match away from home and with a set of supporters no doubt surely disappointed to lose Cabaye, you gotta fancy us right!? Nothing''s certain with Norwich these days, but off the back of a victory and with players returning from injury, this really is a great opportunity in my opinion for us to put further distance from that bottom 3!

Interesting opta stat they have only won 4 in last 19 without cabaye! Also tactics would have been made including cabaye as pivotal player in team. Journalists said he did travel and left Norwich this morning.

Huge loss and after winning last game at home we should try to take advantage!

I remember someone saying it was the best time to face Fulham! and what happened there?

It''s never a good or a bad time to face a team, it''s up to the players to make sure they do what the manager asks and the tactics are right for the game!

Remy would be my biggest worry. I hope Bennett or Bassong can put the shackles on him and not slip up.

Also if Ben Arfa plays, he can be dangerous around the box. Hopefully we can score 2 or 3 ourselves and not have to worry about their attack. It''s time Hooper and the Wolf got on the scoresheet. OTBC !!

[quote user="Indy"]

I remember someone saying it was the best time to face Fulham! and what happened there?

It''s never a good or a bad time to face a team, it''s up to the players to make sure they do what the manager asks and the tactics are right for the game!

[/quote]

Afraid I disagree with this 100%.  There are good or bad times to play other teams, but just because you play a team at a good time doesn''t mean you are guaranteed a result.  The players need to play well, the manager needs to get the tactics/selection right, the players need to apply the tactics, and you need to take advantage of whatever makes it a good time to play them.

So under Worthy when we went to Fulham on the final day it was a good time to play them, as they had nothing to play for and should have been "on the beach".  But plenty of our players didn''t turn up, and we conceded an early goal which allowed them to relax and enjoy the game, so despite it being a good time to play them we were stuffed.

Whereas last season it was a good time to play Man City at the end of the season, and our players did well and took advantage of that opportunity.

Tonight them losing Cabaye could help us, although it depends a bit on how the rest of their players react.  They have decent strength in depth so the others may well up their game.  But either way, it''s for us to take advantage if they do play poorly.

We need to be positive and take the game to them, I really think that there are three points there for the taking

I think that''s just it, it''s up to our players and their mentalities. If they go into the match thinking we''ve already won, Remy will do us over and we''ll lose. If they come out unaffected from the whole Cabaye leaving thing then on paper, we''ve got a great chance of getting the points, another big loss for them is Coloccini.

I wonder if they could have done with Jonas as midfield cover tonight?!

Apparently they may have a 16 year-old ACM on the bench as cover, so it might have been Jonas had he not been loaned to City. Hopefully it''ll be a boost to City players without distracting them from how tough it is still going to be.

I agree it''s completely up to our own team to step up... But I just wonder if they will see this news and just find that extra 10% that at times we have been lacking

They will have trained all week based on playing through Cabaye as their number 10, so to lose him now can only be good for us.

We also have a pretty good record vs Newcastle at FCR so I''m betting on a win tonight, 1-0

Sure Newcastle United will be weakened, but they will still be formidable and a side we certainly shouldnt take lightly......that said, a good performance by a close to full strength City I think will see that narrow win! .....but will actually be OK with a point..