Sign in to follow this  
Reggie Strayshun

Redmond for England ??

Whilst it''s admirable for Ruddy to come out in support of his team mate in suggesting Nathan Redmond as a possible England World Cup candidate, is he not getting a bit carried away ?It seems that he''s basing much of this on the fact that Walcott is out for the rest of the season. But, surely a pre-requisite for being in the England squad is that you should be a starter for all feasible matches for your club, particularly if you play for a team like Norwich. Redmond cannot really claim to be such.Now, before I get hauled over the coals for this, I am aware that people like Welbeck, Sterling and Jones are not nailed on starters for their sides, and neither was Walcott himself,when he first played for England, but with respect thee is a bit of a difference re Liverpool, Manyoo and Arsenal squads compared to Norwich.

Yes he is. Redmond is not good enough yet.Sterling would be a better choice, has a little more end product and as much pace and skill.They''re both better than Townsend though, a little burst of form and everyone wet themselves about him- in reality quite a one dimensional poor man''s Aaron Lennon who Sterling, Redmond and Zaha will all surpass. It is whether any of those three can reach Lennon''s level of ability that is the question. If we are really looking at Redmond for the World Cup right now then our national game is in a sorry state- Oh.

To be fair to John Ruddy he was probably asked a loaded question to which he replied .....

"Losing Theo is a massive blow, but it is a chance for someone else to come in and fill his boots whether as a starter or a squad player, and what an opportunity for someone, whether Nathan or someone else. From a selfish point of view I hope it is him.”

That''s about as good an answer as he could give.

Nathan will likely play for England in the future and his international showings thus far have been impressive.

The question is whether he becomes a regular or just one of the many players with single figure full-caps.

This coming WC? I doubt it.

He might not be good enough yet, but it''s giving him the motivation to prove he can be.

Good guy John Ruddy

An unlikely occurence but I think that he''s 10 goals away from getting in the squad, same with Hooper. It''s not likely to happen but there''s a small chance.

Not likely as they play for that little club somewhere in England. If their stats were exactly the same assists-goals-time on the pitch etc BUT they played for man u, Chelsea or Paris San arsenal then they would be in the squad you just know it.

Redmond is an amazing talent and it was a big coup for us to get him, but he is nowhere near the finished product and has a lot of development needed before he is International quality imo.

it is clear he is in the managers thoughts and is closer to an england place than any other outfield player at city,  however it will take some injuries and an stunning next 4 months to force he way onto the plane 

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]it is clear he is in the managers thoughts and is closer to an england place than any other outfield player at city,  however it will take some injuries and an stunning next 4 months to force he way onto the plane [/quote]Agree. If this was an ''odd'' year with no World Cup or Euros, there would be a good chance of someone like Redmond inching closer to the England setup, with a view to him getting a runout in the meaningless friendlies that tend to clutter up March, May and June. But, not in a WC year. Personally, knowing Hodgson, I really cannot see anyone untried making it, unless as ZLF says he has a stunning run of form or there is a horrendous crop of injuries.

[quote user="Canary On The Wire"]Sterling would be a better choice, has a little more end product and as much pace and skill.[/quote]What?Sterling is a prime example of young English players being over-rated.He''s meant to be a winger, yet cannot cross a ball for toffee (unless you count a 1 in 10 success rate as being good), he''s got less assists than Redmond despite being in a much stronger side, and he also loses the ball more frequently than Redmond does. I''ll fully admit that his finishing is more consistent, and he''s a slightly better passer of the ball than Redmond is, but it''s a lot easier to perform with the Liverpool side around you than it is ours...Put both players in the same quality side and Redmond would walk all over Sterling (and that''s not me being biased as a Norwich fan).All this talk about end product is utter guff at times, because it''s not Redmond''s fault that we can''t get players onto the end of his perfectly good crosses, so he resorts to taking more shots and dribbling at defenders to try and make something happen because the rest of the team is seemingly too busy defending to give him better options...Redmond has the potential to be bigger than many of our ''legends'' e.g. Hucks, Eadie, Fox etc, and I personally think it''s damn right that he''s being linked with a place in the England squad, especially when he''s looked the best player on the pitch for the England U21''s in recent games as well!

Sterling is a year ahead than Redmond in his development I think.

He shone last season until he burned out around new year. He then had a decent rest and has added more end product to his game. Sterling would get the nod before Redmond.

Oh Mr Bones. Oh dear oh dear. All over my post like a rash and arguing against things I didn''t say. Typical.I''ve said Sterling has a little more end product, as evidenced by his 3 goals and 2 assists from 11 games, that''s direct/indirect involvement in 5 goals from 11 games.Whereas Redmond has 1 goal and 3 assists in 14 games. Even when you balance out the quality in the sides that''s still roughly 1 in 2 vs 1 in 3.Where did I say that Redmond didn''t have that potential? He has the potential to be as good as Aaron Lennon, who is a better player than Eadie, Fox or Hucks ever was. It''ll be damn hilarious when you try to argue against that.Sterling, as Jimmy Smith has said, is outperforming Redmond this year, is a year ahead in his development, has more end product as I said, and is every bit as pacy and skilful.It is silly to suggest Redmond would ''walk all over Sterling'' - your justification of ''he''s in a worse team'' is weak evidence. Redmond comes up against the same players and still has to dribble past them and create a chance whatever shirt he is wearing. Sterling just does it more consistently at this stage. This hype over Redmond was always going to reach dangerous heights the moment Pilks got injured- thank god we''ve got Jonas to prevent us stunting Redmond''s development.''It''s not Redmond''s fault''- it takes two to make a good cross. Redmond''s crossing is not ''perfectly good''. It is okay at best. Does the odd excellent one but mostly overplays and under/overhits. He resorts to taking shots, which are usually overhit, or dribbling, where he is in his zone and capable of beating players for fun- but once he''s done that- then what? He has excellent potential. But he is not for 90 minutes in the Premier League, or the England squad- yet.

Oh dear yourself COTW, because I think you''re digging a bit of a hole here.You''ve blatantly ignored most of the cogent points of my post (e.g. that Redmond is a more accurate crosser, has more assists, loses the ball less frequently), not to mention that he offers more defensively as well.I fully admitted that Sterling had scored more than Redmond (even though Redmond has more assists to his name), but surely this is to be expected to some degree when:A) He''s in a better side where their opponents are desperately trying to keep Suarez et al out of the game (instead of not worrying too much about a mis-firing RVW) rather than putting their main focus onto himB) He''s often deployed as part of a front three, rather than a direct left/right sided winger - ergo a more attacking role which should naturally lead to more goals.Redmond''s crossing is FAR superior to Sterling, and as already pointed out - Sterling has top class players available and making runs in pretty much each of the key areas, Redmond just does not get this support as our midfield are VERY slow to help the attack, even RVW is spending half the game dropping deeper because of this (and because he''s desperate to get the ball), so whereas Sterling could have 4-5 options available, Redmond may only have 1-2 at best (and often he''ll simply have to dribble instead because there is just NOTHING available).I don''t know why you''re so quick to dismiss the relative ability levels of the two sides as being highly relevant to the debate (other than because it helps support the point I''m trying to make).As for Lennon being better than any of our ''legend'' wingers, I do disagree and would rather have ANY of them at their best than I would Lennon. I find it hilarious that you knock Redmond for his lack of end product, then go on to celebrate a guy who''s managed a virtual 1 in 11 goal ratio and 1 in 5 assist ratio......which is worse on goalscoring than ALL THREE legends (and probably the same or worse on assists which I can''t check atm). Lennon is yet another player who flatters to deceive, and one whose performance has dipped year after year rather than getting better and better as it really should have done.Both players clearly have potential, but in terms of how England normally set-up, I''d firmly argue that Redmond fits the system better, especially if Hodgson is going to use someone like Carroll as a target man.

Yep, fair enough. My arguments just then were reactionary and poor.Still fail to understand why the fact that I''d rather have Sterling because he offers more at this moment in time was worth jumping on and lecturing me on Redmond''s potential. Something I never questioned.

[quote user="refjezdavies"]No...he needs to learn how to pass the greedy little shitee[/quote]Maybe you should direct that to Snoddy who has been less succesful in his passing across all three major areas (short, long and crossing) than Redmond has...Redmond has also made more tackles, more interceptions, fouled less, been dribbled past less, had more shots, been more succesful with his dribbles and been dispossessed less than Snoddy has as well...So if Redmond is a greedy $hite who can''t pass - WTF does that make Snoddy???

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="refjezdavies"]No...he needs to learn how to pass the greedy little shitee[/quote]Maybe you should direct that to Snoddy who has been less succesful in his passing across all three major areas (short, long and crossing) than Redmond has...Redmond has also made more tackles, more interceptions, fouled less, been dribbled past less, had more shots, been more succesful with his dribbles and been dispossessed less than Snoddy has as well...So if Redmond is a greedy $hite who can''t pass - WTF does that make Snoddy???[/quote]

Had more shots!! Well that hardly comes as a shock