Sign in to follow this  
scottnicrob

Hooliganism Survey

My name is Scott Robinson and I am a final year Criminology student at the University of Huddersfield. As part of my course I am conducting an independent research project entitled “Public Perceptions of the prevalence and responses to football hooliganism”. I would like to invite you to participate in this research project. You should only participate if you want to. Before you decide whether you want to take part it is important for you to understand why the research is being done and what your participation will involve.

The aim of the project is to explore the public’s perceptions of football hooliganism. Also I aim to find out if they are affected by characteristics such as age, gender and the amount of football games they attend. I aim to explore public perceptions of the nature of football hooliganism for example what can consist as an act of hooliganism. I will also be investigating who is perceived to be the football hooligans and what is perceived to be the main cause of football. The final aim is to investigate response tactics to football hooliganism, and how they are perceived in terms of effectiveness.

I ask if you agree to partake in the research that you a complete the questionnaire located at the bottom of this page. The questionnaire should take between 5 and 10 minutes to complete. The questionnaire will ask for your personal perceptions of hooliganism but not for experiences of any incidences of hooliganism.

If you choose to take part in this research project you have the right to withdraw at any point of completing the questionnaire. Also you have the right to leave out some questions if you do not want to answer them. All personal information will be kept private and confidential, as no personal details will be recorded.

When I receive the data from the questionnaire it cannot be withdrawn from the study but you have the chance to withdraw at any point before this. The data will then be analysed and put into a research report. If you would like to see a copy of my results and findings from the research once it is completed (May 2014) then you can request a copy via e-mail from my address below.

After you have completing the questionnaire you feel you need to speak to somebody then here are the phone numbers for CrimeStoppers; 0800 555 111 and Victim Support; 0845 30 30 900. If you have any further queries about my project, please do not hesitate to contact either myself (email: U1151031@unimail.hud.ac.uk; telephone: 07717383896) or my supervisor Kathryn Sharratt (email: k.sharratt@hud.ac.uk.

Link to questionnaire:

https://www.quicksurveys.com/s/c3H6Ci

Final year university student and you can''t use proper paragraphs to break up that wall of text....[:D]J/K, happy to help where I can.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]J/K, happy to help where I can.[/quote]Lol! [:D]Do you experience hooliganism in your house while you''re watching your dodgy stream Indy? (You may be required to install CCTV and have a police presence by the local authority if this continues). [:D]

[quote user="lord montyjones"]Who cares on a messageboard about proper paragraphs? oh yes quite a few on here ffs![/quote]

That should be

''Who, on a message board, cares about proper paragraphs?''

Sorry, the ''Ditto'' was supposed to be a follow-up to nu_matik''s message. Survey completed.

[quote user="lord montyjones"]Who cares on a messageboard about proper paragraphs? oh yes quite a few on here ffs![/quote]People who weren''t taught at the school of ''gumpgshf'' perhaps...Using paragraphs correctly makes it easier for everyone to read, offers better structure to any text and also conveys a more professional impression - a wall of text does not...

[quote user="lappinitup"]Do you experience hooliganism in your house while you''re watching your dodgy stream Indy? [/quote]Depends on what mood my wife is in when I''m watching it (especially because the PC is in the main living room)...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="lappinitup"]Do you experience hooliganism in your house while you''re watching your dodgy stream Indy? [/quote]Depends on what mood my wife is in when I''m watching it (especially because the PC is in the main living room)...[/quote]I''ll look forward to your match report then........if you haven''t been arrested. [:D]BTW, what time will you announce your streamsheet? [H]

One of the perceptions I noticed in the 1970;s was that a lot of younger fans suffered from aggrophobia which in laymans terms was a fear of getting your head kick in.

Thankfully there were few lay men at games in those days as it was mostly all standing, nor did many players feign injury by laying down either.

Of course one of the other perceptions of the early 1970''s was that all hooligans had shaven heads and wore three quarter length long black coats, something that was not helped by the media showing numerous pictures of hooligams looking like that - or by hooligans themselves dressing that way.

One of the odd ideas I had was that folk in the River End were all dwarfs, it turned out that they were not in fact dwarfs but it was perception ....... which is indeed an odd thing. Something that is all too often lost on here.

I hope that helps.