Sign in to follow this  
killercanary29

Scott Dann Big Rejected

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="GJP"]For me the most important thing with a defender is what they are like in defensive situations. That has to be priority. I understand that you can argue if they''re giving the ball away it invites pressure on us but that can largely be cut out if the defender in question just plays safe, short passes to someone better.[/quote]
Agreed, and this is where it gets more interesting.

Name/Tackles/Interceptions/Fouls/Offsides Won/Clearances/Dribbled Past/Blocked Shots

Bassong:  0.9/1.7/0.2/0.9/6.4/0.4/0.8
Turner:     1.9/1.8/1.1/0.5/6.6/0.6/1.1
Bennett:   0.5/1.1/0.5/0.9/7.4/0.3/1.1
Dann:       1.1/1.3/0.8/0.8/8.0/0.4/0.8

Firstly we do have to consider here that Dann''s figures are based on this season playing against poorer opposition in the Championship rather than the likes of Rooney and Suarez that our lads are playing, but with that in mind.

Makes more tackles than Bassong or Bennett
Makes less interceptions than anyone bar Bennett
Makes more fouls than anyone bar Turner
Wins less offside decisions than anyone bar Turner
Makes more clearances than any of our players (is this him playing safe more often rather than passing?)
Gets dribbled past less than Turner, the same as Bassong and more than Bennett
Blocks less shots than Bennett or Turner and the same as Bassong

I''ve also re-checked his passing stats and he''s by far the worst passer out of the four.

SPA/LPA/CA = 72%/53%/0%

So only Turner offers worse long range passing, and Dann is far worse than all of them at closer range distribution.

In essence we have a player who isn''t a strong passer of the ball, and this really isn''t made up for with outstanding defensive stats as he appears to lump the ball out of play more, hasn''t got the best positional sense, doesn''t hold the defensive line well to get offsides and is more likely to foul the opposition than most of our options (Turner is worse for fouls but has much better tackling and interceptions per game).

Is this really what we''re looking for to IMPROVE our defence? I think not, and he''s certainly not in the class of other players we''ve been linked with such as Alderweireld and Ranocchia...
[/quote]

Can somebody explain what these stats mean?

What does 0.9 (0.9 of what) Tackles mean?

What does 1.7 (1.7 of what) Interceptions mean?

Do you really need these stats to decide whether someone is a good players or not?

[quote user="TCCANARY"]Can somebody explain what these stats mean?What does 0.9 (0.9 of what) Tackles mean?What does 1.7 (1.7 of what) Interceptions mean?[/quote]It means that on average the player will make just under 1 successful direct tackle per game (even though you can''t have 0,5 of a tackle), and will on average make 1.7 direct interceptions of the ball per game (rather than someone mis-passing the ball to them).[quote]Do you really need these stats to decide whether someone is a good players or not?[/quote]Most people simply judge with their eyes, but that means it''s often a subjective opinion rather than backed up with hard data.A combination of the two is clearly the best option, which is why prem clubs use prozone/opta etc to help their decision making processes both in-game and when looking at players.

TCCanary...... course you need stats!!! especially on this forum. Nobody''s allowed to say naff all unless they''ve got every stat in the world to back it up with :)

I''m calling BS on that Nigel, unless you can provide stats to prove that no-one can say anything without providing stats...[:D]

And don''t forget that you can 100% trust everything you can find for free on the Internet. It''s the truth.

[quote user="Chip20"]And don''t forget that you can 100% trust everything you can find for free on the Internet. It''s the truth.[/quote]

That''s why I wanted to see what the general feeling was on the Blackburn forum. Stats only tell you so much they don''t give ou he context of the situation he''s found himself.

However, the Blackburn fans suggested his distribution was poor at championship level. I know some on here have said a defender needs to do the basics properly and while true if we''re to develop as a team we can''t start going to the outdated view "give it to the guy who can pass or pump it long/out".