Sign in to follow this  
killercanary29

Scott Dann Big Rejected

Skysports have said we have had a big rejected for Scott Dann today. Shame because i think he is a good player with leadership qualitys that will only bolster our squad. Also been a good player for Blackburn.

So we didn''t go for Davies when we had the chance but will bid for Dann, bites of desperation.

Had 1 good season unfortunately followed by a couple of extremely crap ones from all accounts. If he was to find some form could be a solid defender, concerns over his ability to make crucial goal costing mistakes.

Taylor would be my preference, can play CB and RB

It does seem that there are always people who reckon whichever players we go for are ''wrong'', and that we will undoubtedly end up with the poorer of those...I recall this happening with the likes of Holt, Wes etc too. The fact is, our recent record is pretty good, we have rarely ended up with complete lemons which is something to be pleased about.

Imo being linked with good players with PL experience does not show desperation in any way at all, but hey ho. For me, either Dann or Stevens would be good additions to the side.

So a 26 year old defender with experience of the top flight and learning his trade in championship

is now the wrong choice ???

the minds of some people baffle me if he was 28 and playing for Birmingham in the summer they would be moaning about how is to old but now it turns out Davis is a football god who can do no wrong

All I see everyday is people on here looking for a stick to beat the club with its getting beyond a joke now

I would have thought he was a decent signing if it comes off, but after having a look at Blackburn orums they say his distribution is terrible and at this level IMO we need defenders who can actually pass.

please no, whats the point. if we''re going for a CB, then we need to bring in a starter to content with bassong and bennet, not turner

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]I would have thought he was a decent signing if it comes off, but after having a look at Blackburn forums they say his distribution is terrible and at this level IMO we need defenders who can actually pass.[/quote]I can''t really disagree with that one too much.Take a look at our main three CB''s compared to Dann:Bassong: SPA - 84%, LPA - 55%, CA - 0%Turner: SPA - 82%, LPA - 50%, CA - 13%R.Bennett: SPA - 78%, LPA - 71%, CA - 25%Dann: SPA - 72% , LPA - 57%, CA - 0%So all of our players find teammates more often with shorter passes, however when it comes to much longer balls then only R.Bennett is better than Dann (even if there''s only a slight difference between him and Bassong).So if the goal was to get a slightly better passer of the ball at range then Dann isn''t an awful option (although I''d argue that at those levels, his extra 2% over Bassong isn''t enough justification), but this is badly offset by his pretty poor shorter passing.Either way, it''s another fairly underwhelming name to be linked with, and a far cry from the players like Alderweireld that we were linked with in the summer...

We have a few issues to think about when we are linked to players.......in January.

1, is it speculation, paper tlak.

2, we will not and cannot afford to pay over the odds in January and historically it has been a poor transfer window for us.

3, in the summer we look a far more attractive proposition to players and agent, now we look like one of 7 clubs fighting it out to stay up, does that look attractive to  high profile players and agenst. Standard of player will drop.

4, wage demands for a club our size given the potential of relegation, we would kill the club going down with a team full of high wge erners on long term contracts.

5, Hughton targets have other more attractive options.

So I don''t expect more than maybe a loan signing or two or even a low cost CB who will like Gutierrez fill out the squad without improving the starting 11. Anything more will be a bonus.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]So alderwierld to Ranocchia to Ciani to Taylor to Scott Dann.....mmm very mixed messages of what we are trying to do.[/quote]

Or that the players don''t see us as an option? They might not want to move the City or play for Hughton?

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Yellowbeagle"]I would have thought he was a decent signing if it comes off, but after having a look at Blackburn forums they say his distribution is terrible and at this level IMO we need defenders who can actually pass.[/quote]
I can''t really disagree with that one too much.

Take a look at our main three CB''s compared to Dann:

Bassong: SPA - 84%, LPA - 55%, CA - 0%
Turner: SPA - 82%, LPA - 50%, CA - 13%
R.Bennett: SPA - 78%, LPA - 71%, CA - 25%

Dann: SPA - 72% , LPA - 57%, CA - 0%

So all of our players find teammates more often with shorter passes, however when it comes to much longer balls then only R.Bennett is better than Dann (even if there''s only a slight difference between him and Bassong).

So if the goal was to get a slightly better passer of the ball at range then Dann isn''t an awful option (although I''d argue that at those levels, his extra 2% over Bassong isn''t enough justification), but this is badly offset by his pretty poor shorter passing.

Either way, it''s another fairly underwhelming name to be linked with, and a far cry from the players like Alderweireld that we were linked with in the summer...
[/quote]

For me the most important thing with a defender is what they are like in defensive situations. That has to be priority. I understand that you can argue if they''re giving the ball away it invites pressure on us but that can largely be cut out if the defender in question just plays safe, short passes to someone better.

If you look at Elliott Ward and Daniel Ayala they were both good on the ball, better than any of our current centrebacks. But neither were great defenders. Ward was a bit stronger defensively but not particularly mobile.

If we can get someone who is strong defensively and classy on the ball that would be excellent but if we can''t have both then I''d want someone who is really good at winning the ball and keeping strikers quiet.

Providing we stay up, which i believe we will, i would imagine most of January''s 6 month stop gaps would be moved on and we''ll be back in the summer for bigger signings ( though if the ''stop gaps'' prove their worth... ). Suggests to me Hughton''s playing this quite sensibly, that determination to win a contract in the Premier League could be a canny move but should the worst happen then we''ll have some players who know a thing or two about the Championship should we keep them on, and if not, we can simply let them on their way and then get on with the inevietable rebuild. Still think we''ll stay up though, no problem.

So more old boll ocks to over excite the terminally dim

............... and yes, you''ve guessed it

the source ?

the ever unreliable sky sports - making a fortune out of stupidity

£30-£40k wages pw and an expected £12pw increase if promoted at blackburn. I just dont think he is that good or our need that strong to warrant that level of wage bill; can surely get better for those wages?

[quote user="GJP"]For me the most important thing with a defender is what they are like in defensive situations. That has to be priority. I understand that you can argue if they''re giving the ball away it invites pressure on us but that can largely be cut out if the defender in question just plays safe, short passes to someone better.[/quote]Agreed, and this is where it gets more interesting.Name/Tackles/Interceptions/Fouls/Offsides Won/Clearances/Dribbled Past/Blocked ShotsBassong:  0.9/1.7/0.2/0.9/6.4/0.4/0.8Turner:     1.9/1.8/1.1/0.5/6.6/0.6/1.1Bennett:   0.5/1.1/0.5/0.9/7.4/0.3/1.1Dann:       1.1/1.3/0.8/0.8/8.0/0.4/0.8Firstly we do have to consider here that Dann''s figures are based on this season playing against poorer opposition in the Championship rather than the likes of Rooney and Suarez that our lads are playing, but with that in mind.Makes more tackles than Bassong or BennettMakes less interceptions than anyone bar BennettMakes more fouls than anyone bar TurnerWins less offside decisions than anyone bar TurnerMakes more clearances than any of our players (is this him playing safe more often rather than passing?)Gets dribbled past less than Turner, the same as Bassong and more than BennettBlocks less shots than Bennett or Turner and the same as BassongI''ve also re-checked his passing stats and he''s by far the worst passer out of the four.SPA/LPA/CA = 72%/53%/0%So only Turner offers worse long range passing, and Dann is far worse than all of them at closer range distribution.In essence we have a player who isn''t a strong passer of the ball, and this really isn''t made up for with outstanding defensive stats as he appears to lump the ball out of play more, hasn''t got the best positional sense, doesn''t hold the defensive line well to get offsides and is more likely to foul the opposition than most of our options (Turner is worse for fouls but has much better tackling and interceptions per game).Is this really what we''re looking for to IMPROVE our defence? I think not, and he''s certainly not in the class of other players we''ve been linked with such as Alderweireld and Ranocchia...

I thought Hughton said earlier in the week that none of the names that have been mentioned in the media are targets, and that it''s just agent talk?