Sign in to follow this  
TheRock

PL Fair Play mid-season

I know not alot of supporters are bothered by this, but I think its nice to see we are are sitting at the right end of the table and we are seen as a "fair-playing" team on the pitch. The table isnt fully up-to-date, it is 3 games behing the real PL, on 19 games played. Notice how our "respect towards the opponent" is the best in the league, LOL [:D]The fair play table - have a look for yourselfHow the FP league works - FAQs and the rundown on how it works

Not pretty reading, at this rate we could be playing European football next season and we definitely cannot handle that extra fixture load yet

Ha Ha!

We are the second worst for red and yellow cards, and there are 6 teams below us in the Positive Play stats. Those 6 teams forums must be in meltdown.

[quote user="priceyrice"]Not pretty reading, at this rate we could be playing European football next season and we definitely cannot handle that extra fixture load yet[/quote]

England as a whole needs to finish top or near the top as well I believe.

Didn''t really look to see if that''s the case at the moment or not...

Thats right GP, England have to finish in the top 3 in europe. Its how Fulham, Man City and Town have got into europe in recent years.

[quote user="priceyrice"]Not pretty reading, at this rate we could be playing European football next season and we definitely cannot handle that extra fixture load yet[/quote]

Sorry but that''s got to be the most negative thing I''ve heard on here in ages!

Yes for sure, Premier league survival is the most important thing, no-one is questioning that - but if we get a back-door ticket to Europe which gives the fans a few fun away days, then I cant for the life of me see how it''s a bad thing.

Maybe we play a few second-string players, give the youngsters a run out, keep one or two players around who won''t make the 25 man PL squad in order to cover for European games and see how far we can get - hopefully we''d beat a few random teams from lower ranked countries and end up with a tie against a big name side which even if we didn''t win would give people something to shout about.

Remember there''s an entire generation of supporters now who''ve never seen us play in Europe - I was only a kid in 1993, doubt I''d care about the club as much as I do if I didn''t have those amazing memories of how it felt to see ''little old Norwich'' taking on the big boys of Europe. It''s long past time for us to do it again...

England are currently 5th int he Fair Play table by the way, behind France, Sweden Norway and Denmark. Close between ourselves, the French and Swedes,so finishing in the top 3 is a realistic possibility.

http://goo.gl/SfQmZr

Our squad is not big enough/talented and enough for Europe Andy.

Once you have reached Europe, your fans expect you to at least try and win games, and to do thar you need to field a strong team. Look how it affected Newcastle last year and Swansea and Wigan this season. Clubs like Man U will do their best to avoid it, the revenue generated from that cup is miniscule, i think it works out as a little over £2M for the winner (don''t believe that includes tv revenue but not entirely sure).

We would all love play in Europe, like the old days, but at the risk of costing us our prem survival, no thank you!

Another season or two building the squad first.

I think you said England are currently 5th in the rankings, we tend to finish fairly high due the card happy refs you have in the rest of Europe.

This season could still a few twists and turns left in it then. if NCFC and England hold in the respective tables we could have been given a cheeky ticket to europe.I can''t remember what happens with the League cup spot now;If Manchester City win the League cup final AND finish 5th or better (almost certain) does the place go:-> to Sunderland as runners-up?> or does it go to whoever finishes 6th in the league?Cheers in advance if anyone can help?

I believe it goes to Sunderland as the runners-up, but not 100% sure. I think the extra league place comes via replacing the FA cup winners if the same situation happens.

Sorry but I don''t agree about the squad not being good enough - We''re not that much worse than Fulham were a couple of seasons ago when they got to the final, we were a ''weak'' team with a squad who had ''no chance'' back in 1993 and things didn''t work out too badly.

A couple of seasons ago the travelling costs would have crippled us, but we can afford it today even if we don''t make a profit overall. Realistically we''d be unlikely to get beyond the group stage at best, so it would be over by Christmas - probably by September if we drew a decent side who dropped out of the Champions League qualifying - and I''m sure the manager would have the common sense to prioritise PL survival over euro games. Nobody''s expecting us to win anything but I really dont think european games would be bad for us.

[quote user="TheRock"]This season could still a few twists and turns left in it then. if NCFC and England hold in the respective tables we could have been given a cheeky ticket to europe.I can''t remember what happens with the League cup spot now;If Manchester City win the League cup final AND finish 5th or better (almost certain) does the place go:-> to Sunderland as runners-up?> or does it go to whoever finishes 6th in the league?Cheers in advance if anyone can help?[/quote]I think it''s 6th in the league for the league cup, but runner-up for FA Cup. If both finalists of the FA Cup have qualified, then it''s 7th in the league.That''s off the top of my head, and I might have that wrong.Let''s find out. To the internet!