Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

We support our local team..

We hear this so often from the regular mischief makers on here. Probably because those who do support their local team are in the minority on this forum so use the phrase to troll. And it usually works.  But the other place you hear those words is in the Barclay on match days against the likes of Chelsea and Man U. On those occasions the chant is universal and there''s no dissenting voices. Do our fans who don''t support their local teams join in? The way I see it over the years the fans who support us from afar have proved their commitment where as the Johnny come latelys are here while we are in the premier league. But then they may stick around when we eventually slip back down.

Is "we support our local team" a jibe we should be using against the so called big clubs?

Reals fans who walk to Carrow Road can sing loud and clear with pride. The truth of the rendition a badge of pride.

Those "Capital Canary" types presumably shuffle uncomfortably and mumble. Lake District types presumably roar at a computer screen.

This has always been my point. It''s not my minority view but the majority view that we are a local club it''s what we have always been. When we were stick in the 3rd tier I don''t remember so many plastics on this board then.

It fills me with pride when the massed ranks of the Barclay and snake pit and reaffirm what we are all about.

I get accused of trolling I assume the thousands who sing it on a Saturday are all trolls as well. Clearly they are not just a proud fan like me.

Sing it loud WE SUPPORT OUR LOCAL TEAM

OTBC

As a non-Norfolk based City fan the whole ''plastics'' label doesn''t bother me. I''ve been supporting the club since ''85 and have seen the highs (promotion back to the PL) and the lows (that day at Charlton) 1st hand.

I accept that ''some'' supports may look on us a ''not good enough for our club'' but that''s their opinion, my local team was Millwall when I was growing up and yes, I went to a few games with family members who support them but I never called myself a fan, it was just a game of football to go see.

Only when I got really interested in football did I catch a City game while visiting family in Diss did I decide this was the team I would support.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Why on Gods earth would we have plastic fans?[/quote]

It is truly bizarre why they would but a quick view of some peoples names and locations show that. Some even pride themselves in their plasticity

And that''s the acid test. Can you, as a Norwich City supporter sing this ditty and be telling the truth?

If the answer is no, I smell a whiff of hypocracy. Is your "support" any different from London-based Manyoo "fans".

Norwich City always has and always will be a club solidly rooted in it''s local community. A LOCAL club for LOCAL PEOPLE, if you will.

[quote user="BarclayUpperCut"]As a non-Norfolk based City fan the whole ''plastics'' label doesn''t bother me. I''ve been supporting the club since ''85 and have seen the highs (promotion back to the PL) and the lows (that day at Charlton) 1st hand.

I accept that ''some'' supports may look on us a ''not good enough for our club'' but that''s their opinion, my local team was Millwall when I was growing up and yes, I went to a few games with family members who support them but I never called myself a fan, it was just a game of football to go see.

Only when I got really interested in football did I catch a City game while visiting family in Diss did I decide this was the team I would support.[/quote]

I pretty much agree with all this. I count Norwich fans from all over the world amongst my friends. I just don''t get why it''s used as a jibe against the bigger clubs. Is it because narrow minded people in the Barclay start the chant and others follow like sheep?

Supporting a club that''s not your local one shouldn''t be an issue to anyone.

Only when it comes to the national team is it an issue.

As a season ticket holder who is committed to travel to support the team through good and bad I don''t personally sing those songs to visiting fans, but that''s just me....others may decide to.

[quote user="Simple Jack"]Reals fans who walk to Carrow Road [/quote]I sometimes get a lift to CR, now that my legs aren''t what they used to be. Although I usually walk home, so perhaps I''m tending towards the semi plastic in some peoples eyes.

[quote user="Simple Jack"]A LOCAL club for LOCAL PEOPLE, if you will.[/quote]Owned by a couple from SUFFOLK!  LOL. [:D]If you will.......

[quote user="BarclayUpperCut"]Supporting a club that''s not your local one shouldn''t be an issue to anyone.

As a season ticket holder who is committed to travel to support the team through good and bad I don''t personally sing those songs to visiting fans, but that''s just me....others may decide to.[/quote]

Good on yer buddy.

But when that chant rings out from those around you do you feel offended?

I reckon the jibe is aimed at those folk who pick a team like Manchester or Chelses solely because they win trophies.  Now, that''s something you can''t really level at folk who choose to support Norwich City, they''re just as daft as the rest of us poor buggers.  Furthermore, I reckon you would do well to find any non-Norwich based fans who don''t have some connection to the team or the city whereas I can tell you my gransson goes to school with a bunch of kids who couldn''t find the team they support on a blinking map.

Take it all the Norwich based fans follow their local team away ?? Been a Norwich fan over 40yrs Don''t get to many home games (7hrs traveling time) 1 weekend of in 5 Would be easier if I was a Stoke fan (10 mins from The Brit) But 40 odd yrs ago choose Norwich and Norwich it is I''ve been to the Bury''s, Grimsby''s Rotherham''s Stockport''s of the football world supporting MY team.I''m sure its hard making the 10 min journey every fortnight for some of you !! OTBC

Well, all I can say is that I am 32 and have supported Norwich since I was about 8, which I make to be 24 years of support. As a kid I regularly stared at teletext willing the score to change. I would fall for the premium rate numbers and call (much to my dads annoyance) teamtalk for any snippet of Norwich information. Id listen on the radio when Norwich played a midlands team. Id proudly wear my Norwich replica shirt and get the shit kicked out of me at school. Girls thought I was weird (though I might not be able to exclusively nlame NCFC for that). Supporting Norwich has always been difficult to do if ur not lucky enough to live near the ground and be taken to the football by your dad when ur a little boy.

Why on earth some fans seem to think that anyone outside Norwich yet supports the club is a lesser fan I have no idea. Supporting Norwich from afar doesnt exactly make ur life easy or glorious, and takes a lot of doing. I think the attitude of some fans towards non local fans is absolutely baffling and stinks of small minded parochialism, probably born out of minimal intelligence. What do local yokels think we get out of being Norwich fans instead of man utd fans for example. A club like Norwich should welcome any fans it attracts from outside of Norfolk due to its small sphere of influence.

Perhaps the people you really mean to have a go at are those who live in Norwich yet DON''T support the canaries. This concept of plastic fans dreamed up by peabrained iditos absolutely baffles me. I was pretty real last time I looked...

[quote user="Simple Jack"]And that''s the acid test. Can you, as a Norwich City supporter sing this ditty and be telling the truth?

If the answer is no, I smell a whiff of hypocracy. Is your "support" any different from London-based Manyoo "fans".

Norwich City always has and always will be a club solidly rooted in it''s local community. A LOCAL club for LOCAL PEOPLE, if you will.[/quote]
Obvious troll is obvious. It''s all too easy for you LOCAL fans to pop along to Carrow Road and be home in time for tea. For me, making a trip to Carrow Road involves 400miles and a hotel stay, about £200 on top of the match tickets (which I buy at full rate, none of this discounted season ticket price due to the fact I can''t go to every game) 
The comparison to Man U fans is nonsensical. How many Norwich fans from anywhere do you know that are supporting us for the glory?
I was there making a 300 mile round trip to Exeter the week after the 7-1 drubbing at home to Col U. Were you?
Being a fan from a far flung corner of the country requires far more commitment than it does for the locals to walk 10 minutes down to Carrow Road. When the only way for exiles to keep in touch with the game was on CanariesWorld, I was a teenager and would walk 4 miles home from being in town with my friends, to get home in time to listen to the radio commentary, and then walk all the way back again.
Say what you like, but local people have it bloody easy. 

Been travelling back to Snorfolk, for games, for over 50 years. Also flying back from secondments at various airports around the globe,countless times. Last flight out of New York or Boston on a Friday night. First flight back on Sunday morning. So hardly a plastic. Don''t really think plastics are attracted to teams like Norwich. But would like to put a couple of questions out there, to the ''locals only'' brigade.

First, what do you see as ''local support''. Would that be within the city walls only ?. Or does can that support encompass places as far field as,say.

Swaffham or Kings Lynn for example. Now they''re a good days tractor drive away ?.

Second question. How do you perceive the make up of the team ?. Surely, made of local lads. You know the type. ''Norfolk born and Norfolk bred, strong in the arm and .........well you know the rest.

A team of eleven Daryl Sutch''s would be ideal presumably?. No Johnny Foreigner''s.

The answer to first question is simple - real fans walk to the game. ANY use of motorised transport equates to increasing levels of plasticity. Are those based in King''s Lynn plastics? Absolutely! They should be at the Walks supporting their locall team.

As for the second question - would the ideal scenario be a team comprised entirely of Norwich-born players? Another unqualified "yes"!

[quote user="Simple Jack"]The answer to first question is simple - real fans walk to the game. ANY use of motorised transport equates to increasing levels of plasticity. Are those based in King''s Lynn plastics? Absolutely! They should be at the Walks supporting their locall team.

As for the second question - would the ideal scenario be a team comprised entirely of Norwich-born players? Another unqualified "yes"![/quote]

Obvious troll is obvious

[quote user="Simple Jack"]The answer to first question is simple - real fans walk to the game. ANY use of motorised transport equates to increasing levels of plasticity. Are those based in King''s Lynn plastics? Absolutely! They should be at the Walks supporting their locall team.

As for the second question - would the ideal scenario be a team comprised entirely of Norwich-born players? Another unqualified "yes"![/quote]

Obvious troll is obvious

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="BarclayUpperCut"]Supporting a club that''s not your local one shouldn''t be an issue to anyone.

As a season ticket holder who is committed to travel to support the team through good and bad I don''t personally sing those songs to visiting fans, but that''s just me....others may decide to.[/quote]

Good on yer buddy.

But when that chant rings out from those around you do you feel offended?

[/quote]

no

We will all have our stories about how we have come to support Norwich and our life stories as to how we come to live where we do now. 
Surely the point is we are all passionate about supporting our team and the vast majority of us extremely proud of it. 
None of us has made an easy choice, if indeed it was a choice. It would have been easier to have picked one of the big teams where greater success is guaranteed. We would have a lot more Sunday mornings when we wake up feeling a lot better. But would any of us swap, - no way. So how about celebrating the fact that we all passionately support our club - wherever we may live!!
OTBC

I don''t care where Norwich supporters are from but I must say that some of the comments from people not from Norwich have astounded me. Things like "locals have it easy" and how much more commitment it takes to support from afar.

So what if people that live in Norwich can get to the ground easier. Funny that, what with living in the same city.

If people choose to support Norwich then that''s bl00dy brilliant, everybody''s welcome. Just don''t sit there and complain about how difficult it is having to travel and how it takes much more commitment than people from Norwich. That''s just as bad as people b!tching about people not from Norfolk supporting this fantastic club.

Why do people keep responding to these f*ckwits. I''ve just moved away from the area after 22 years of living in Norwich and supporting the club. I make as many games as I can afford. I know I''m just as good a fan as anyone else, as do those without sh*t for brains.

In the locker room at work when the norwich man u fan in all the latest man u branded training gear has a go at the Yarmouth Chelsea in all the latest training gear fan, i just quietly think to myself, Spuds.

Well said Jack. Liked your answers to my questions. Not sure if they were tongue in cheek or not btw.

Didn''t understand the next two posters answers as they were garbled. Not sure if one was calling me a troll or not.

But for a troll I''ve been to an helluva lot of games. Home and away since 1953.

Just one more follow up question,Jack. I imagine there are a lot of football teams in Norwich. Are you sure the Canaries are the closest ?.