Sign in to follow this  
Rhiadd

Is it time for a Cap?

I have been watching in person and supporting from afar for many decades since my father took me to Carrow road for my first game as a wide eyed seven year old. This is not the first season I have felt dismayed by the clubs position and style of football, but it is the first time I felt an apathy for the outcome both of games and the season. Of course a win is always what you wish for but other than that the joy has gone out of the whole. I don''t see that you can blame the manager or the players for the most part-I believe they do their best. Perhaps it is the system itself that wrings the joy and optimism out the game. When one player on one team can cost more money than the entire complement of its opposition and that one player can be paid more per week than the oppositions combined salaries, then as Mr. Yeats observed, in the small world of football "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world" In North America after watching decades of the super rich teams win everything it was the fans who exerted various pressures on the individual league offices to force change. While the results of those changes are somewhat complex and not always what was hoped for, forcing spending and salary caps on the participants did accomplish a great deal more parity for the most part. Now, you don''t always win by writing the biggest cheques, now sometimes the little guys rise up and compete and in fact sometimes win. And there is most definitely the possibility of more equality in the leagues very season. Undoubtedly some contributors to this forum who are far more learned than I will explain why a wage or spending cap cannot work or would be unappealing but in the meantime all that seems possible for teams like Norwich (and that''s the majority of teams in the premier league) is to struggle to compete every season desperately hoping there will be at least three teams in a worse situation at seasons end, expecting to win absolutely nothing, writing off many games as completely unwinnable and taking a welcomed summer to gasp for air in a corner waiting for it all to begin again. Am I mistaken or did the beautiful game once seem an awful lot better that that?

[quote user="Rhiadd"]I have been watching in person and supporting from afar for many decades since my father took me to Carrow road for my first game as a wide eyed seven year old. This is not the first season I have felt dismayed by the clubs position and style of football, but it is the first time I felt an apathy for the outcome both of games and the season. Of course a win is always what you wish for but other than that the joy has gone out of the whole. I don''t see that you can blame the manager or the players for the most part-I believe they do their best. Perhaps it is the system itself that wrings the joy and optimism out the game. When one player on one team can cost more money than the entire complement of its opposition and that one player can be paid more per week than the oppositions combined salaries, then as Mr. Yeats observed, in the small world of football "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world" In North America after watching decades of the super rich teams win everything it was the fans who exerted various pressures on the individual league offices to force change. While the results of those changes are somewhat complex and not always what was hoped for, forcing spending and salary caps on the participants did accomplish a great deal more parity for the most part. Now, you don''t always win by writing the biggest cheques, now sometimes the little guys rise up and compete and in fact sometimes win. And there is most definitely the possibility of more equality in the leagues very season. Undoubtedly some contributors to this forum who are far more learned than I will explain why a wage or spending cap cannot work or would be unappealing but in the meantime all that seems possible for teams like Norwich (and that''s the majority of teams in the premier league) is to struggle to compete every season desperately hoping there will be at least three teams in a worse situation at seasons end, expecting to win absolutely nothing, writing off many games as completely unwinnable and taking a welcomed summer to gasp for air in a corner waiting for it all to begin again. Am I mistaken or did the beautiful game once seem an awful lot better that that?[/quote]Isn''t Financial Fair Play the first step towards this?