Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

8 Clean Sheets now!

I know goals are a problem, but we''re now level with Man City and Chelsea and above Man U for clean sheets now! Only Arsenal, Everton, Spurs and West Ham have more shut outs than us.

Yeah thats the plus side, and to be fair the defence is often pretty stong, but to say that goals are a problem is an understatement.We have scored more than once in only 3 games this season if my memory serves. After an 18,000,000 investment in attacking players (including redmond that is). I cannot see how questions cant be asked after that. Despite this, we seem to be in for a central defender this transfer window, rather than just keeping Ayala and looking for the playmaker who we desperately need. Sometimes football clubs seem to operate on some strange reverse rationality principle that I dont understand.

Tell me about it! I don''t know why we got rid of Ayala if Turner is out for a while. I would rather we focussed our efforts on improving the goals for column too. Is there nobody out there who we could sign that would make a difference?

yep, a manager who recognises zonal play is as worthless as a Sinclair C5then see the goals

Yep - eight clean sheets - magnificent, absolutely!

And how many wins has our hapless manager presided over? FFS look at the stats - clean sheets mean nothing if you cannot score goals regularly and actually WIN some games!

Of course the clean sheets are crucial, even if last night''s was a bit of a fluke......and against the teams outside of the top four or five even more crucial as it means we are taking points off them in that second half of the table mini league and will always have a chance to nick a win, like we so nearly did last night.  

Plus another massive positive ( is that word allowed on here) we are 6 points clear of the bottom 3. Yes the football maybe bad but it''s a results business and we have to be honest and say a draw with Newcastle is a good result 0-0 or 3-3 makes no difference.

City 2nd wrote the following post at 29/01/2014 5:01 AM:

" FFS look at the stats - clean sheets mean nothing if you cannot score goals regularly and actually WIN some games! "

38 clean sheets would mean at least 38 points, enough to keep you up 9 out of 10 seasons.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]

38 clean sheets would mean at least 38 points, enough to keep you up 9 out of 10 seasons.[/quote]Are you Hughton in disguise, Joanna ?Because you''re sounding more like him every day.

For me you have to agree that 8 clean sheets is a fantastic return on the season, but as mentioned we don''t have a counter attacking game to suite this style.

I watched Liverpool last night when I got home and they defended deep and broke with pace, caught Everton a number of times, we don''t to that, we move out too slow.

But we still look poor last night and more luck than good defending that we kept a clean sheet.

The results are not brilliant, but the performance was dire in the first half. Michael Bailey, in his video report, described the shambles as the worst performance for ages, and he has seen a lot ot City matches.

There can be little excuse, and Hughton offered none. The strikers should have bedded in by now, Gutierrez the only new player was not playing. In other games they have started brightly before being overrun, but last night they seemed nervy, fearful and lacking spark right from the beginning.

If they continue like this, and meet less wasteful teams than Toon, then I fear for the end of the season.

Might i suggest that a lower dose of pharmaceuticals would be in order, try to get a grip on reality.

The only way it stayed a clean sheet last night was because the woodwork saved us THREE times.

And some are praising up the defense?

[quote user="Number 9"]Might i suggest that a lower dose of pharmaceuticals would be in order, try to get a grip on reality.

The only way it stayed a clean sheet last night was because the woodwork saved us THREE times.

And some are praising up the defense?[/quote]

I never once saw the woodwork move!