Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

Bowkett and McNally Were Right

Unless you have a billionaire backer, progress in the Premiership has to wait a few years as you build up capital in the squad from several years of TV money minus the higher wages which have to be paid.

So we are at a disadvantage compared with clubs who have been there over many years. (We also got rid of our debt, as well as engaging in squad improvement.) Other teams have spent millions over several years, with the result that their squads are generally better than ours, and include some outstanding players.

So I think that mid-table is about where we could hope to be at the moment.

Whether we shall finish there this year is another matter. We have spent money on players who are about that quality, but players outside the team are not generally of that standard, so injuries hit us hard.

If we can get our present team to play properly, and somehow build up conviction and confidence, then I think that there is a chance we could finish mid-table. There is much that needs to be done to achieve this however, in view of present performances, even when we gain points. Whether the management team have the ability is the much-debated question.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]But isn''t this the reality? Isn''t this the height of what we can hope to achieve and don''t the means justify the ends.

Why are so many people unhappy?[/quote]

Because we are playing 5h1t football. Last night was dreadful - I don''t care about the point we "won" (although in reality we didn''t win it, Newcastle gave it to us).

Why would I spend my time and money watching such absolute drivel?

I can forgive occasional poor performances but we have had this nonsense for 18 months now. We will set up for another 0-0 on Saturday and be pummelled for 85 minutes again.

I find myself not caring whether we stay up or not, to be honest.

I think we are properly placed in a league which outside the top 8 is spectacularly poor this season.    A small improvement in playing to our capability will see us firmly cemented in the top half of the table.

Carry on as we are and we will safely avoid relegation.    And that is the real name of the game now,  survival not entertainment.