Sign in to follow this  
Just Dan

Corners

So the Snodgrass incident was the result of a number of poor corners. Not beating the first man is a pet hate of mine. It is like leaving a putt short in golf, you haven''t given it a chance to go down. I would much rather see a corner go out for a throw on the other side of the pitch, than not beat the near post. Obviously a tactic, but maybe it is time to try something new?

I doubt that it is a tactic, it''s more likely a case of a player lacking confidence. We have had some good corner takers in the past, but seemingly no-one now.

Personally I prefer the first man cutting out the ball rather than a high cross that the keeper can easily claim and set up a counter attack with. It''s like how shots on target are always seen as better than those off target - surely missing the goal by a few inches is actually better than a daisy cutter that rolls into the keepers arms - but for some reason it isn''t considered so.

Snodgrass can take a good corner, the one agaisnt Hull showed that, again it was a hit lower with a lot of pace giving the keeper no chance of claiming it. It''s one of those things that if it goes wrong it looks horrible, but if it goes right it is very effective, the error for margin is tiny on these things though. It''s like when players try to hit free kicks underneath a jumping wall, if it works the player is hearalded as a genius, if it goes wrong and hits the feet of the wall everyone calls them an idiot.

It''s strange as last season Snodgrass'' corners/free kicks were Norwich''s best weapon, this season they haven''t been coming off so much (apart from the goal against West Ham and corner against Hull so I guess they have won Norwich 6 points) - hopefully something can be done, but I doubt booing him is the way to help. A little bit of rotation on the kicker would be helpful - but then these things are so analysed by the training staff you have to presume he isn''t doing as bad as the casual observer thinks.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"] 

I doubt booing him is the way to help.

A little bit of rotation on the kicker would be helpful

[/quote]

Both points absolutely spot on,  especially the first one.

We have never understood him raising his hand every corner. We think it must just be a sign that it could go anywhere!

This must make it harder to kick the ball instead of just getting on with it. Perhaps he should stop doing it and put his hand up if he plans doing something else like a short corner?

I think he was over the top last night, if he had just acknowledged the crowd that it was a poor corner it would have saved all the hassle he got. Mind you it lifted the crowd in a strange negative way.

Surely after two or three poor corners another lad would say, "let me do it, I can do better".

Where was that lad?

Seems very odd to me, maybe everyone''s scared of Snoddy or something...