Sign in to follow this  
iron_stan

need a new right back

all this talk about new centre backs, truth is whittaker and martin arent good enough, my first choice would be nuaghton i just dont see that happeningwe need a right footed olsson, plenty of pace and can play a bitany ideas ?

Ricardo and I have been saying for some time we are weak at RB - our weakest spot in the squad - at least that was until Turner got injured, so now I think it''s CB.

For me Martin is good enough as he is solid - but you want an alternative option, like you say, for games when you want to be pushing forward more.

Come the end of the season I would agree, but I think Martin is playing well enough to see us through, and I can''t see us buying one this window.

I really really don''t get why people are upset win Martins defending, he does nothing wrong. What exactly is Olsson doing that Martin isn''t?

Full backs don''t actually win the ball very often, just consider how often Snodgrass gets the ball in the box, slips the ball in behind or repeatedly turns the full back. It''s a hell of a lot. But a lot of the time the crosses are poor as the FB doesn''t allow him to get into the best position. Martin does this too.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I really really don''t get why people are upset win Martins defending, he does nothing wrong. What exactly is Olsson doing that Martin isn''t?

Full backs don''t actually win the ball very often, just consider how often Snodgrass gets the ball in the box, slips the ball in behind or repeatedly turns the full back. It''s a hell of a lot. But a lot of the time the crosses are poor as the FB doesn''t allow him to get into the best position. Martin does this too.[/quote]

The full back postions are arguably the most important postions on the pitch. Generally they get the most space on the pitch and the most time on the ball so having clever full backs can have a huge influence on a teams performance. For me both Whittaker and Martin are not good enough. There not bad players but a little simple and very rarely orchestrate proceedings. Russ is better in the middle.

I personaly think we will do just fine with this duo until the summer, but I agree that we should bee looking faster and a bit more ball confident version of Martin.

He just always keeps his head down when he crosses and he has serious problems to get back when he bursts forward.

One interesting option could be Celta de Vigo''s Hugo Mallo. Have had good season in Primera and Celta is one of those teams that can''t affordt to not sell if the bid is right. Also he would be in that category of players that should be in our reach.

Not to mention he has been considered decent enough to play few games for spanish youth teams.

When everyone is fit right back is probably the first area you''d look to make an upgrade.

I personally agree, Martin is a decent enough RB, I just feel that he would be better off a back up to another player. I dont have all that much time for Whitaker, too slow and too inconsistent, on the other hand, he was free so thats something. All in all I see 3/4 areas in the squad that need improving, we need a new Centre back, a new right back, a new no 10 and potentially someone who can really pass in front of the back 4. Hopefully though we will spend the remaining budget for this year for a Centre half and then have a lot to spend on a new RB and attacking midfielder if we stay up, which is just as well as neither come cheap.

The following are a few players I''ve found that seem to be decent investments and could definitely grow into very decent players if not provide good coverage on that side of the pitch (Also, hello, first post in ages...)

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamaal_Lascelles] Jamaal Lascelles[/url] - RB/CB, 20 years old, Notts Forrest, England Under-21s

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Matthews] Adam Matthews[/url] - RB, 22 years old, Celtic, Welsh International

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liam_Moore]Liam Moore[/url] - RB/CB, 20 year old, Leicester City, England Under-21s, recent interest from Fulham

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calum_Chambers]Calum Chambers[/url] - RB/RW, 19 years old, Southampton, Engaland Under-19s

Well, this is embarrassing. The preview post looked decent formatting wise. Oh well, the info and links are in there somewhere.

Imo the right back issue is one that is dependent on the right sided midfield player tracking back enough to help him out.  Whether it is Martin or Whittaker it doesn''t matter - they are both good when on form.   If it is Snodgrass on the right, he is so involved further up the field, he sometimes doesn''t have the legs to get back quickly enough to help out, which in turn puts pressure on Fer to come across, thus leaving the central area exposed. 

So for me what we have in right backs is good, it just needs the help of the right sided midfielder.  On the left its often Redmond - who is often seen tackling back, helping Ollson or Garrido, making their life easier.

would loves us to get cyrus christe, will be playing for england in the next few years, could get him for 1m and young and as fast as they get

we do need a new right back, but unless one comes up for a good price I would be happy to wait until the summer and persevere with Martin.

Sam Byram from the feeder club (not only would it be funny, he''s pretty good as well)

martin is constently a 6/7 in a game for me, occasionally a 9. Olsson for me just isn''t that good, doesn''t concentrate, however isn''t bad, just a bit average. whittaker has been awful this season which is why he hasn''t featured that much (despite complaining about that). We need someone who can blow martin out of the water if we are going to invest in a right back otherwise there is no point imo

Couldn''t agree more with the op , championship right backs playing in the premier. Martin has one great game followed by 3 poor. Often falls asleep and let his man go on set pieces ,

Whittaker good crosser of the ball , but poor positioning and lack off pace IMO !!

How about Zabaleta?

Well here''s his stats and RM''s and MO''s

Tackle per game - Zab 3.5, RM 1.3, MO 1.4

Interceptions - Zab 1.3, RM 0.8, MO 1.2

Clearances - Zab 2.2, RM 3.1, MO 3.4

Blocks - Zab 0.3, RM 0.8, MO 0.7

Key Passes - Zab 0.8, RM 0.4, MO 0.3

Avg Passes - Zab 42.2, RM 44.1, MO 34.1

Pass Comp % - Zab 85.0%, RM 80.1%, MO 71.2%

Crosses/Game - Zab 0.2, RM 0.3, MO 0.6

Accurate Long Ball - Zab 1.6, RM 2.7, MO 1.6

Accurate Through Ball - Zab 0.1, RM 0.0, MO 0.0

Take what you like out oif that lot but IMO RM and MO are an alright pairing and as has been stated elsewehere on this thread, the cover provided by your right/left mid and/or your right/left wing makes a difference.

As do the tactics you are asked to play, if as a full back you are told to stay back (a la Hughton) then you obviously don''t look too good going forward.

However on the last two occasions RM has played RB, Man U and Hull, he appeared to have been given the freedom to get further forward and did it well IMO, either that or he took it upon himself??

Personally I think some of our fans are getting too hung up on replacing our RB, unless we can get someone like Zabaleta for £5m and £30k per week, then I would, for now, leave well alone.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I really really don''t get why people are upset with Martins defending, he does nothing wrong. What exactly is Olsson doing that Martin isn''t?[/quote]Tackling more, intercepting more, clearing more, fouling less and getting dribbled past less.What I find more interesting is that Russ is arguably better going forward than Olsson as his passing (long and short) is far superior, not to mention that his crossing is also a lot better, all this despite that fact that Olsson is supposed to be the more attack minded player!What''s even more interesting is that in fact Garrido is arguably better overall than Olsson, yet is consistently overlooked and underrated by our fans, even though defensively he''s generally better than Olsson (apart from being slower which can be a problem against pacier opponents), and like Russ - he''s a much better passer and crosser of the ball than Olsson is (which is probably why Hughton played him on the wing in the cup).I''d agree that we probably need a consistently solid RB to come in to help defensively, but if we want a more attacking option in some games, then Russ is more than good enough to do that and be used as our 2nd choice RB IMHO.

Snakepit,

Agree not his best game but made some good blocks and in the second half wanted to attack more but CH was screaming at him to stay back and of course was playing behind Shoddy!! Ooops mis-type should have been Snoddy, but maybe Shoddy Snoddy is right!!

IMO only one still our nest RB.

What game were you watching?

Sammy Ameobi only got one decent ball in all night...

Not his fault Ameobi, Remi and Santon were allowed to go round him three on one many occasions. Not sure where Fer or Snodgrass were most of the game.

Martin was crap the first half but he wasn''t the only one. You''ve only got to look at the number of times Newcastle channelled their attacks down that side of the pitch to know we were looking weak there.

But it wasn''t all Martin. Bennett didn''t know what was going on a few times and the protection from the midfielders was basically non existent.

Martin did well tonight I thought. I think we have more pressing concerns than Right back at the moment. Yes Martin may get torn a new one by the likes of Hazard and co, but you show me a realistic target to replace him that won''t.

As back up, I don''t think we''ll get much better than Whittaker. It''s a position to maybe look at in Summer, but for now, we need either a centre back or some spark in midfield/ up front.

Naughton on the right and Bertrand (who is looking for first team football & considering Villa) on the left would be a great combo.