Sign in to follow this  

Sacked in the morning.

I''m have a gut feeling that tonight may have been the beginning of the end for Hoots and his time may be coming to an end sooner than a lot think. No money being spent this window and I think we all know Wes will be gone by the weekend and my ever shrinking gut tells me Hoots will be going also.

That''s an interesting post Inchy. I wouldn''t dismiss it out of hand but if you''re right I hope and pray someone has been lined up to come in. And if that''s the case why not last week? We shall see.

I was a bit peed off with Hughton tonight. Couldn''t see the point of two up front even with RVW deep. Tettey and Johnson for me to give Fer a chance of being creative with Hooper up front. I always defended him playing five in midfield and always argued against the team being set up the way it was last night.

I''ve got no idea unless Tettey wasn''t fit enough to start. We needed to protect the back four tonight and get possession of the ball. Maybe some of those who continually cried out for that selection can explain it?

Would love to think there is anything in that and certainly cant see any justification in his defence of BJ- not the type of player to try to get someone sent off??? Err- yes he is, he has history of the exact same thing and it could easily have been red for BJ for two yellows in that incident and just yellow for Remy. Snodgrass could have seen red for an over the top tackle and Bennet seemed to throw a couple of wild shots in the melee around the sending offs.As for CH future- I think he is safe for a while and now we have got to this stage of the season I feel the time to get rid and improve is passing by the minute.It''s a results industry and we''re not in the bottom 3 etc etc. It''s the turgid League One football that is the killer for Hughton and is the biggest cause for a glass ceiling in the league for NCFC I just hope we can survive this season and the board get rid before the next window opens.

And therein lies the flaw

the obsession with formations

the beauty of football is that players can be virtually anywhere on the pitch yet we still get this nonsense about 442 4521232 .......

it is rubbish

if it were true then RVW would not have been back almost giving away a penalty and Johnson would not have been out on the right wing when he was sent off

sadly too many numpties have little grasp of the game and so imagine this stuff has any meaning - it is the tactics during the game that count ... at that is where our failing constantly is

[quote user="City1st"]And therein lies the flaw

the beauty of football is that players can be virtually anywhere on the pitch yet we still get this nonsense about 442 4521232 .......

it is rubbish

if it were true then RVW would not have been back almost giving away a penalty and Johnson would not have been out on the right wing when he was sent off

sadly too many numpties have little grasp of the game and so imagine this stuff has any meaning - it is the tactics during the game that count ... at that is where our failing constantly is[/quote]

Sorry buddy. But you''re wrong. I agree RVW played deep but if you think that gave any protection to the back four or gave us possession of the ball then you''re in cloud cuckoo land. It''s you who''s getting wrapped up with players in formations not me. I stated what I felt we missed in midfield and RVW provided none of it. Think before you preach...

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

it is rubbish

sadly too many numpties have little grasp of the game and so imagine this stuff has any meaning - it is the tactics during the game that count ... at that is where our failing constantly is[/quote]

Sorry buddy. But you''re wrong. I agree RVW played deep but if you think that gave any protection to the back four or gave us possession of the ball then you''re in cloud cuckoo land. It''s you who''s getting wrapped up with players in formations not me. I stated what I felt we missed in midfield and RVW provided none of it. Think before you preach...

[/quote]So ''playing two up front'' has nothing to do with formations ?I never claimed anything about giving protection to the back four, merely that players will usually move about the pitch in response to the game rather than have some designated 4321 ...etc arrangementthe comment was a general response so maybe you should stop playing the victimhowever nice to see you are now seeing the need to replace Hughton

[quote user="City1st"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

it is rubbish

[/quote]So ''playing two up front'' has nothing to do with formations ?I never claimed anything about giving protection to the back four, merely that players will usually move about the pitch in response to the game rather than have some designated 4321 ...etc arrangementthe comment was a general response so maybe you should stop playing the victimhowever nice to see you are now seeing the need to replace Hughton

[/quote]

It''ll be a cold day in hell before I become a victim. You asked me a question. I answered you in good faith. You then came back preaching about something totally unconnected. I thought you had more about you...

I didn''t say I wanted Hughton replaced. I just commented about the players he picked and the way he set up the team. I''m off to bed now. Sweet dreams your reverance[;)]

Are we still out the bottom 3?

Yes

That was what McNally said was Hughton''s remit, he is doing it. So unless DM has made a great deal in the background for an amazing new manager can''t see it!

Lol, sacked for that result? Newcastle are looking good for a strong position in league and European football. Think you''ll find it was a good point. Annoys me how everyone assumes we just turn up and win. Clueless people on here at times.

Yes the performance was not great, but it''s all about the result. The board would have taken a point without doubt.

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Too late now we are stuck til the end of the season[/quote]Reluctantly, I have to agree with Yorks on this . We are now lumbered with what we''ve got till May, I''m afraidI suppose if we go into complete meltdown over the course of the next couple of months, the board may be forced to act, but that shows no sign of happening. We will continue to grind out the odd result here and there . The question is...will it be enough come May 18th ?

What sort or match preparation do the team have? It took them 45 minutes, and presumably some strong words at half time, before they really tried.

Were they playing under instructions, sit back and don''t concede for a while? In which case it nearly became a massive disaster, - Toon could have been 3 up by half time, and out of sight.

I want a manager who motivates his team, and trains them in quick passing football, but Hughton seems incapable of either. Performances are not improving, they are getting worse. We can''t rely on visiting teams all playing like a non-venturing Hull.

Why on earth would the board sack him after a draw with a comfortably top half side, with us sitting in 12th?

Do the board care about quick passing football? Do they care whether we''re passing teams like Newcastle off the park? Do they care if we are playing a defensive game, or going gung ho and being involved in 5-4 thrillers?

No. They care about league position. We''re 12th. He''s not getting sacked.

As for the fans, yes, you have every right to dislike the style of football we play. But I''m afraid if you don''t like it, either put up with it or stop going. When there is no realistic chance of him getting sacked (as in, now), going to games and booing and having slanging matches with the players is nothing but detrimental and stupid. Have a moan on the messageboard, have a grumble with your mates down the pub, no problem. But he isn''t going to be sacked any time soon, so what''s the point in doing those things at the ground during a game when we could be actually supporting?

[quote user="pablofarmer"]Are we still out the bottom 3?

Yes

That was what McNally said was Hughton''s remit, he is doing it. So unless DM has made a great deal in the background for an amazing new manager can''t see it![/quote]In fact, you could even argue we''ve hit the mid table mediocrity they mentioned at the AGM.

How did we end up with a 0-0 result though? I couldnt see the match, but it sounds like we only made it to half time because Newcastle didnt put away any of their 16 shots. Sounds like the determining factor in the result was newcastles failure to punish us. Was the 0-0 a glorious victory for hughtons tactics? Or a massive let off once again? I didnt see the game so I cant comment, im just asking a question. On a number of occasions we''ve got points this season in spite of our tactics not because of them. We''ve played with ineptitude and only ''got a result'' because the other team we''rent able to score the goals they should have. Last season during the unbeaten run, you could see that we were picking up results through effective play and a clear gameplan which was working. Was last night due to effective tactics or a massive let off?

its a results based industry, but if the board feel the results that do come come due to the mercy of the opposition, rather than because of how we have imposed ourself, they may see a change as inevitible, ie that the team is surviving on luck rather than skill. As I say I couldnt see the game last night, but saw the half time stats and the comments on here - doesnt paint a pretty picture. He wont get sacked now though, opportunity to make an effective change has gone. Unless of course the board wanted to make a change after the window has closed so theyre not asked to find millions for new players by a new manager. But I was widely shouted down for suggesting that possibility! Think he''ll be here until the end of the season. Question is, would he be more likely to keep his job if we stayed up or if we got relegated and needed to be promoted again? Always feel sorry for the managers who get their team promoted against all odds through the play offs, then get sacked 6 months later, when theyd probably have kept their job if theyd attained mid table championship stability

Can somebody explain to me why RVW ended up tackling on the edge of our box badly and almost gave away a penalty? Are these tactics that are working? Can somebody also explain to me what, exactly, Pilkington brings to the team. I''m still unsure other than keeping our medical team in a job.

Finally, can somebody please explain to me why we cannot provide our strikers with any form of scraps to feed from, and why Hooper then has to take matters into his own hands by shooting from distance (good for him though). I''m a tad confused by it all. We are a mess.

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]How did we end up with a 0-0 result though? I couldnt see the match, but it sounds like we only made it to half time because Newcastle didnt put away any of their 16 shots. Sounds like the determining factor in the result was newcastles failure to punish us. Was the 0-0 a glorious victory for hughtons tactics? Or a massive let off once again? I didnt see the game so I cant comment, im just asking a question. On a number of occasions we''ve got points this season in spite of our tactics not because of them. We''ve played with ineptitude and only ''got a result'' because the other team we''rent able to score the goals they should have. Last season during the unbeaten run, you could see that we were picking up results through effective play and a clear gameplan which was working. Was last night due to effective tactics or a massive let off?

its a results based industry, but if the board feel the results that do come come due to the mercy of the opposition, rather than because of how we have imposed ourself, they may see a change as inevitible, ie that the team is surviving on luck rather than skill. As I say I couldnt see the game last night, but saw the half time stats and the comments on here - doesnt paint a pretty picture. He wont get sacked now though, opportunity to make an effective change has gone. Unless of course the board wanted to make a change after the window has closed so theyre not asked to find millions for new players by a new manager. But I was widely shouted down for suggesting that possibility! Think he''ll be here until the end of the season. Question is, would he be more likely to keep his job if we stayed up or if we got relegated and needed to be promoted again? Always feel sorry for the managers who get their team promoted against all odds through the play offs, then get sacked 6 months later, when theyd probably have kept their job if theyd attained mid table championship stability[/quote]

It was definitely a case of a fortunate point despite the tactics rather than a good point because of the tactics.

Of course people will simply bang on about us being 12th, good point blah, blah, blah completely ignoring the fact that we have just (again) put in a performance that was worse than abject and clearly shows that Hughton is taking us backwards, Apparently current league position is the be all and end all though so its all ok because we are 12th.

We were simply terrible, particularly in the first half, and i fear that we may well have used up our luck for the season last night! Fair enough start with two up front, but after taking a battering for 45 minutes and somehow escaping surely there should be a plan B, take off RVW put on Tettey with Fer pushed on. As always, like for like late substitutions

It''s all too late to change anything.

I want CH to improve us as it is his side now after 3 transfer windows. That''s the agrument for longevity isn''t it?

I am not sure what the issues are but I suspect that apart from Pilks he didn''t want to change a winning side.

However he should have chosen his best available side.

The booing was not nice to hear though as it must sap the energy out of the players.

On Saturday I want to see amore solid structure in midfield with creativity and movement.

There have definitely been some performances where we''ve deserved the 3 points ( Man U and Cardiff at home spring to mind ) so it''s nice to see us get a little rub of the green last night.

Also, McNally has stated on more than one occasion that he wants to see attractive passing football from us so that totally contradicts whichever poster said the only thing the board care about is league position.

I sat in my cold seat last night and just could not believe that even after a short break no lessons had been learned. Formation wrong, defending poor, serious lack of commitment to the cause, fans booing, and completely uninspiring. I''ve sat on the fence hoping for an improvement but it''s just not happening and you can only ride your luck for so long and with our run in I feel it may have run out. Now if a pacifist like me has seen enough then surely the board must be close.

[quote user="Alex "]There have definitely been some performances where we''ve deserved the 3 points ( Man U and Cardiff at home spring to mind ) so it''s nice to see us get a little rub of the green last night.

Also, McNally has stated on more than one occasion that he wants to see attractive passing football from us so that totally contradicts whichever poster said the only thing the board care about is league position.[/quote]Man Utd were the better team in the second half, so a draw might have been fair. But we didn''t deserve to win that game.As to the board''s priorities, McNally may have made some vague comments about nice football. But when he compares relegation to death and says that financially it would be a serious blow then it is pretty clear that staying above 18th is really the only thing the directors care about this season.

[quote user="Alex "]There have definitely been some performances where we''ve deserved the 3 points ( Man U and Cardiff at home spring to mind ) so it''s nice to see us get a little rub of the green last night. .[/quote]Fair enough, Alex. I''m not going to argue with that.And, boy, did we get some rub of the green last night ?!But, for the last few weeks we''ve had several of the usual suspects bleating as to how unlucky we were v Man U, how we deserved at least a point, how brilliantly Wes played, blah blah blah.Well, let''s hear no more about that, because the luck we received last night more than cancels out that we did not have on Dec 28th

[quote user="the bristol nest"]Yes DM did say that as they still need bums on seats![/quote]

There''ll always be bums on seats at Carrow Rd, Bristol. But i''m happy to agree to disagree on whether McNally was being genuine or not :)