Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Players to come out of last nights game with credit

Well the performance was dire, especially in terms of our midfield.

Looking positively though, I thought Ryan Bennett came out with a lot of credit. He is proving a useful CB now.

Russell Martin played well and dug deep.

Ruddy kept us in the game at points.

Tettey looked alright for the 10 minutes he got at the end and is hopefully ready for 90 mins sooner rather than later.

Pilks got some good minutes under his belt, not a great show but it''s always difficult first game back.

Redmond gave it a good go and provided more threat than any of our other players in just 20 minutes of game time.

Olsson, Bassong and Hooper were pretty average, can''t really berate or praise them too much.

The rest (RVW, Elmander, Johnno Fer, Snoddy) were poor and will need to forget about this game.

Ruddy, Bassong, Olsson, Hooper and Elmander.

Everyone else was either terrible for the whole game or terrible for at least the first half. Pilkington excused due to lack of match fitness.

I thought Redmond made a massive difference when he came on. He put in a couple of very decent crosses, especially the one that Snoddy almost put away. He looked like he could create something every time he received the ball.

Everyone comes out with credit in my view.

No matter how poor some were, no one gave up. No heads dropped. Even those like Snoddy having an unhappy time kept going.

The whole team showed character and resilience not to buckle under the pressure and that is to all their credit.

We got a draw when we should have buried at half time and that was down to luck, guts and endeavour.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Well the performance was dire, especially in terms of our midfield.

Looking positively though, I thought Ryan Bennett came out with a lot of credit. He is proving a useful CB now.

Tettey looked alright for the 10 minutes he got at the end and is hopefully ready for 90 mins sooner rather than later.

Pilks got some good minutes under his belt, not a great show but it''s always difficult first game back.

Redmond gave it a good go and provided more threat than any of our other players in just 20 minutes of game time.

Olsson, Bassong and Hooper were pretty average, can''t really berate or praise them too much.

The rest (RVW, Elmander, Johnno Fer, Snoddy) were poor and will need to forget about this game.[/quote]

Russell Martin?

What game did you watch?!

Olsson was alright as was Hooper. Ruddy didn''t do much wrong.

Redmond was good when he came on. Touch let him down at the death though.

Nicko, he watched the game I. Which the left winger only got one decent cross past Martin. A RB who was left exposed frequently.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Ryan Bennett again, apart from his defensive duties his long passes forward always seem class to me.[/quote]It will be an interesting conundrum should we buy the centre-half we''re quite clearly after in the next 3 days.On current form, I''d drop Bassong before I''d drop Bennett.

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"]I thought Ryan Bennett was excellent again.The think the goalposts at the River end was my man of the match. Second was the crossbar at the Barklay end.[/quote]

This would be the same Ryan Bennett who was marking Remy - the player who always had two yards of space whenever he received the ball and was allowed to turn almost every time?

I must have been at a different match - Bennett didn''t win a header until the second half!

[quote user="sgncfc"]

This would be the same Ryan Bennett who was marking Remy - the player who always had two yards of space whenever he received the ball and was allowed to turn almost every time? [/quote]

What you allude to sgncfc is Ryans annoying habit of constantly backing off,  it has been a problem for us when he plays,  costing us goals against both liverpool clubs and fortunate not to yesterday when Remy hit the woodwork.      Despite this trait (its clearly how he plays but something he needs to rectify) I did think he was pretty solid performance.

Ruddy stood out for me and with Redderz were the only ones to emerge with credit,  several were average (Bennett, Bassong, Hooper) but no more.

[quote user="sgncfc"][quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"]I thought Ryan Bennett was excellent again.The think the goalposts at the River end was my man of the match. Second was the crossbar at the Barklay end.[/quote]

This would be the same Ryan Bennett who was marking Remy - the player who always had two yards of space whenever he received the ball and was allowed to turn almost every time?

I must have been at a different match - Bennett didn''t win a header until the second half![/quote]Well, he was third in my man of the match vote. The man of the match did help him defend Remy''s only shot near the target.

Elmander did ok when he came on

Pilkington was dire but then most fans look at him with the rose tinted goggles

fer terrible

martin outmatched all game

[quote user="yellowdamien"]I thought Redmond made a massive difference when he came on. He put in a couple of very decent crosses, especially the one that Snoddy almost put away. He looked like he could create something every time he received the ball.[/quote]

I agree also as a defender you are not so confident pushing forward with someone as fast/faster than you attacking.

Our pace free flanks in the first half asked to be dominated.

Ruddy, Bennett, Hooper without a doubt were the only 3 to come out with any credit. Hooper especially run his nuts off was the only one in the first half to show any fight.

Russ was ok but didn''t get much defensive help same with Olsson.

The rest were poor to awful.

Subs wise, Elmander and Redmond changed the tempo of the game, Tettey wasn''t on long enough.

To say Pilks was ok is a joke, yeah he got more match time but my god he was awful. Fer RVW Johnson, Snodgrass sorry would have scored 2-3 out of 10.

While I like Bennett and i''m a fan, Remy completely outplayed him last night and he had a tough time, a decent performance but I didn''t think he ever looked comfortable against Remy with the ball at his feet.

Ruddy had a good game with some important blocks, especially the Ben Arfa (i think) effort that took a huge deflection off Bassong (again i think!). He kept us in the game along with Newcastles poor finishing.

Pilks looked unfit, not surprising really but had flashes of whats to come when he is back on form, some real poor touches though in good areas.

Martin had a tough night and did ok imo.

I saw stats at half time that said Snoddys pass accuracy was 22%, most of the team was low to mid 50''s. It wasn''t a good night for most but we definitely competed more second half.

I thought Hooper was probably the pick again personally, he retains possession well and sometimes looks too clever for those around him.

RVW looks lacking in confidence, we can keep persisting in playing him but at what point does justifying his price tag become less of an issue than playing someone better suited at this time?

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"]I thought Ryan Bennett was excellent again.

[/quote]

Was that really an example of excellent performance?

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"]I thought Ryan Bennett was excellent again.[/quote]

Was that really an example of excellent performance?

[/quote]

Perhaps not, but they didn''t score, did they? Despite the fact they completely outclassed us across the rest of the pitch. The defenders were having to work harder than you would expect them to and they kept Newcastle out.

There is that argument but they certainly had the chances to score. Their finishing (which was only narrowly out) cost them, not our defending.

We were very lucky to be 0-0 at half-time. It''d be sticking your head in the sand to think otherwise.

Elmander didn''t great job when he came on, linked up well and set up our best chance of the match with Hooper.

Ruddy was deserved MOTM.

Redmond was dynamite when he came on.

Bennett was strong and Martin effective, although Ameobi embarrassed him twice.

Hooper looked ok.

Other than a total shower of sh!te

Jonzey,

By embarrassing him, do you mean he beat him and got a cross in?

I think we all sometimes lose sight of the fact that that is what wingers are supposed to do, if he only got two crosses in all night, considering they had 54% possession and 22 shots, then RM did a good job. Let''s face it if our wingers didn''t get any more than two crosses in all game we wouldn''t be very happy with them......oh hang on!!

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]Everyone comes out with credit in my view.

No matter how poor some were, no one gave up. No heads dropped. Even those like Snoddy having an unhappy time kept going.

The whole team showed character and resilience not to buckle under the pressure and that is to all their credit.

We got a draw when we should have buried at half time and that was down to luck, guts and endeavour.[/quote]Surly thats a given?You shouldnt get credit for trying your best!

Ray, I mean he had a good game in general, however to get skinned by Sammy Ameobi twice and beaten for pace let him down. Ameobi isn''t exactly Jesus Navas.

I am a fan of RM though, quality full back and good captain material

[quote user="Nicko"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Well the performance was dire, especially in terms of our midfield.

The rest (RVW, Elmander, Johnno Fer, Snoddy) were poor and will need to forget about this game.[/quote]

Russell Martin?

What game did you watch?!

Olsson was alright as was Hooper. Ruddy didn''t do much wrong.

Redmond was good when he came on. Touch let him down at the death though.[/quote]

my thoughts too... r.martin!?!? he got RAPED all game getting turned inside and out !! ruddy made some good saves...

Jonzey,

I agree with you, wasn''t his best game but overall didn''t let anyone down, any fullback needs help from his midfield and winger and I''m not sure RM (or SW for that matter when he plays) get the best of cover. Let''s be frank, our RW spends a fair amount of time on the ground or standing with hands on hips moaning about.... well just about anything. I have often seen and heard RM chivvving (for the want of a better word) our Right Winger, something which he shouldn''t have to be thinking about, something which occupies his mind when there are more important things he could be dealing with. I think players such as our RW don''t realise the knock on effect their behaviour can have.

It is amazing how we see different games......for me Martin had one of his poorest games in a long while following what was one of his very best and Bennett was just average and seemed to switch off a couple of times. Despite the poor performance in the first half, no I mean dire performance, I give credit to the team for turning things round enough to grind out the point against what I thought was an excellent Newcastle United even without Cabaye. MOM has to be Snodgrass for giving some back closely followed by Ruddy who I thought was class.....Hooper and all of the subs did well, even the ever popular Elmander.