Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Newcastle

It was cold and tipping it down as I walked up to CR tonight. CH opted for Pilks to replace Gutierrez in a 442 again and I must confess I was a bit worried as Newcastle have been in such good form lately. The opening minutes were a bit ragged with a couple of wild shots from Newcastle and nothing but some very poor passing from City.Thigs livened up considerably from the ten minute mark but unfortunately all the goalmouth action was at the wrong end from a City point of view. Remmy was causing trouble with his neat play and Bennett had his hands full keeping the lively forward under control. A quick turn and shot drifted just wide as Newcastle assumed total control from the quarter hour mark. City could get nothing going against the five man midfield and when they did get possession they soon lost it with wayward passing. Eventually Fer had a shot deflected for a corner but the delivery was as wayward as the rest of City''s play. Newcastle were now cutting City apart with balls inside the full back and only some desperate blocks kept them out. Ruddy saved well from Remy then in an almighty scramble Johno just manage to clear for a corner as the ball came back off a post. Then Remy again broke down the left and his swirling effort deceived Ruddy and came back into play off the far post. It was absolutely desperate stuff with City looking like a Sunday League team up against professionals. Fer was getting outmuscled in midfield as the Newcastle midfield took complete control. I can''t remember the last time I saw a City team so comprehensively outplayed.Ruddy did brilliantly to adjust as a Ben Arfa shot that deflected off a defender and when another sweeping move left the same player with a clear chance from 10 yards it looked as if a goal must come but somehow a miscue sent the ball high over the bar. Hooper had been the only City player to come out of the first half with any credit and it was fitting that he should have City''s best effort of the half with a 25 yarder that Krul did well to turn away for a corner. Snoddys cross was woeful and he took exception to some of the comments from the snake pit but in all honesty the whole first half performance was about as poor as I have ever seen. Yet somehow, God only knows, we arrived at halftime all square.At the half I was thinking we must revert to 451 and personally I would have had Tetty on for RVW because the ball was just not getting to the front men at all.Thankfully things did improve as the second period began and in the first ten minutes must have spent more time in the opposing half than in the entire first half. Snoddy screwed a shot wide then Ricky had an effort blocked for a corner. It began to look a much more even contest as Fer and Johno at last got stuck in. Newcastle still looked dangerous and another free kick from Remy clipped the bar before being cleared. There few clear cut chances but at least you got the feeling that City were at last in the game. With about 20 minutes left Elmander and Redmond replaced RVW and Pilks who was looking quite puffed. Immediately we looked better as Elmander with a surging run earned a corner that was scrambled clear then Redmond crossed low and the big Swede laid off nicely for Hooper to hammer a close range effort that Krul did well to touch onto the bar. I was beginning to think we could nick a goal but the game took a turn when Johno and Remy clashed on the City right. Remy''s butt and punch was a clear red but with Newcastle players surrounding the linesman it was no surprise that Johno also saw red.Tetty had to come on to balance the mid field and it was the right decision that the tiring Hooper should be replaced despite calls from the those who disagreed. IMO it was a no brainer. City almost did nick it with time running out when Redmonds cross eluded everyone and Snoddy''s header was bundled away by Krul and a possee of defenders.All in all after that dire first half I can only  say that it felt more like a point won than two points lost. Newcastle did look a very decent side and by rights should have been out of sight by halftime. Hooper was superb first half and my MOM goes to him with honourable mentions to Ruddy, Bennett and Bassong. It''s another point but this could so easily have been nothing at all.

Bassong? There was a comical moment after Remy hit the post, the ball went for a throw in. Olsson was telling Bassong over and over to come closer to receive the ball, Bassong had no interest in getting it, blanked Olsson instead & told everybody else to get closer. Newcastle pushed up and 3 touches after the throw were attacking again. I have no idea what is up with him but he seems to want the ball nowhere near him, hes been a shadow of the player he was last year and always looks to have a mistake in him

As for the rest of the report spot on. Walking out of the ground thinking we could/should have won it, yet wondering how we kept Newcastle to 0-0 at half time

I think it''s something to do with Hughton - and more than his usual giving the players the heebee geebies

Maybe it will come out in years to come

[quote user="City1st"]I think it''s something to do with Hughton - and more than his usual giving the players the heebee geebies

Maybe it will come out in years to come[/quote]I can''t remember a half when we have been so completely outplayed. Newcastle were passing and moving into space while we couldn''t put 2 or 3 passes together.Unbelievably we could have won it at the end. Funny old game Footy.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="City1st"]I think it''s something to do with Hughton - and more than his usual giving the players the heebee geebies

Maybe it will come out in years to come[/quote]I can''t remember a half when we have been so completely outplayed. Newcastle were passing and moving into space while we couldn''t put 2 or 3 passes together.Unbelievably we could have won it at the end. Funny old game Footy.[/quote]

first half of west ham at home earlier this season,we seemed to be statues as a poor team cut through us at will. Although i do think today was worse

"Unbelievably we could have won it at the end. Funny old game Footy."

that is part of the attraction

check the two early goals away at Newcastle then see how easily we could have conceded goals in the first half

what might this point mean come May ?

Good report Ricardo, I think some of us were expecting us to comfortably beat Newcastle which is over anticipating to say the least.

I am not too disappointed with a draw considering that we started the game badly.

[quote user="City1st"]"Unbelievably we could have won it at the end. Funny old game Footy."

that is part of the attraction

check the two early goals away at Newcastle then see how easily we could have conceded goals in the first half

what might this point mean come May ?[/quote]It''s certainly a point won. At halftime it didn''t look possible.

problem is we can''t keep putting ourselves into positions where a draw is a point won

Thanks for the report Ricardo.  I didn''t see it tonight, but it sounds as though we played poorly, but still came away with a point.  In most seasons that would be seen as reasonable and it does keep us ticking over.    Not the match we all wanted, but a point nevertheless.

A big "well done" to Newcastle for keeping the score at nil-nil by half-time. They should have had the game won.

The right side of our defence was utterly hopeless and Newcastle totally dominated the midfield.

Bassong generally defended well throughout the game and Hooper looked like the only hope we had of causing Newcastle problems their side of the halfway line.

18 months of this dreadful stuff, with the idea that if you sit off the opposition they will some how hand the ball back as they did with the drop ball

how many times did we see Newcastle players waiting outside the box without a City player within 6 yards of them

any wonder their players had so many shots and chances

teams know how to play us and Hughton is clueless about changing it before or during the game

[quote user="City1st"]problem is we can''t keep putting ourselves into positions where a draw is a point won[/quote]

it will do against good teams

Pretty much how I saw it Rickyyyy. The first half was the worst I''ve seen us at home this season. Two in central midfield was ridiculous. It''s like Hughton is now afraid to set up defensively. If we are over run in midfield having two up top is a waste and not really attacking is it? Newcastle''s forwards targeted our full backs and beat them time and again but luckily didn''t create much and amazingly Hooper made himself a chance at the end of the half which brought out a good save or we could have been a goal up. From that point I honestly thought we''d nick it. And we still could have until the sending off which would have left us with Fer on his own in central midfield. Tettey had to come on and I agree Hooper was the man to make way. Going one up front at that stage Elmander had the fresher legs. But from then it was always going to be a draw.

We''d all take a point from that I think.

Thanks for the report Ricardo from a Plastic on the wrong side of the pond.

I see a pattern in the reports; Lucky escape 1st half, better in th second. You could almost cut and paste from one game to another and just change the oppositions name ;-)

"it will do against good teams "

but it is not just the good teams is it ?

I think it would have been difficult to play with 5 in midfield recently (at least a flat 5 or a 1-4) because Tettey and Howson have been out. Fox could have played alongside Fer with Johnson behind, but we''d still not have had much cover.

Many thanks as usual for your report, and that''s just about how I saw it from the edge of my chair here in Dubai. We were outplayed in the first half by a side who were right at the top of their game, they certainly have some quality and when they are on the front foot like that will cause most teams in this division trouble, particularly if you cant step up like we couldnt in the first half.  I was so relieved at the end of the first half and expected something better second half ,and it was an improvement, but I am really not so sure of the 442, particularly with RVW and Hooper together, unless he did a lot I didnt see from the TV, RVW appeared to have a very poor game unfortunately? Bradley needs to look at himself a little with the incident and certainly ended up getting himself sent off, and I too after a little thought agree that Hooper for Tettey was definately the right decision. Three things struck me whilst watching last night, Ruddy is a class act and should be in that England World Cup squad, Russell Martin really runs hot and cold and this was one of his cold performances and our defence certainly misses Turner, Bennett is very decent and improving but he loses his discipline/concentration.    Strange seeing a game like that where they could have been out of sight at half time yet we were so close to nicking it ourselves towards the end...............

Good report as usual Ricardo, I was utterly frustrated and bored after 60 minutes, being soaked and knowing a hot cup of tea was waiting I left at 64 minutes. The first time I have ever done that, but during my 30 minutes journey home listened to the improved second half, but really could not have been worse than that first half!

I thought Snodders was harshly dealt with by the booing and his reaction was bourn from frustration.

I have renewed my season ticket for the 20 odd time but I seriously asked myself why on the way home, as I really can''t say I am enjoying the game, the atmosphere is sour and poisonous at times.

Really good point from a game where we played the weakest Newcastle side and should have given them more of a game, it was men against boys in the first half.

Good report as usual ricardo.

Conceeding so much space to a strong newcastle midfield was always asking for trouble;  they were strong, faster had more desire and more ability.   Ameobi and Debuchy surprised and impressed me.    

On top of being undermanned in midfield our passing was again shocking - we seem incapable of doing the basics right.   we could have had 5 in the middle with Wes in behind the striker;  that would have given us a much stronger match.    Johnsons dismissal at least means we wont have a twelth player passing to the opposition to worry about and should give us some much needed central stability against Cardiff;  I am confident he will also bring out the best in Fer.  

Yet despite all of that  and but for some poor finishing we would have mugged 3 points,  as it was we have stolen an invaluable point.

So despite a dismal showing we have moved up the table,  closer to safety and should have a stronger team available for Sat.    Silver linings indeed.

Safety beckons - once acheived (and it will be) my preference is to then replace the manager.   I am sure this squad is capable of better 

Thanks for the report Ricardo, spot on as ever... I have to agree with Zipper on the manager. Ok to see out the season...but I too think this squad is capable of so much better, and that''s where the management is to blame

Good report as usual Ricardo and thanks for doing them every time.Would agree that we were shocking in the 1st half. How Newcastle weren''t well ahead is a complete mystery.I think we did actually play worse for the first 45 mins against West Ham but somehow turned it round. We were better 2nd half last night - we could hardly have been worse - but had Cabaye been playing I very much doubt we would have got anything at all from the game.It''s all so depressing.....

One of the more consistent threads so I''ll stick my oar in.

I thought it was a deeply depressing first half. If we were playing 442 then we had a "2" from the kick off and that was about it. RVW played most of the time behind Hooper, and the distance between them was go great I don''t think they passed the ball to each other more than 3 times. That RVW is a shadow if the player I hoped he would be could be a result of the system, confidence or a combination of these and other factors.  either way if Hooper has a knock we are in the poo.

We sat so deep at times that Krul took a free kick from nearly on the half way line. NUFC had two full back moving forward which stopped our own FB''s getting forward. The rigid two in front of our Centre Halves , and the "wide" players spending most of their time closing out the space by coming inside just lead to us having no outlet and either passing the ball backwards or losing the ball.

NUFC could have been out of sight at half time. And to see our own turning on our players, and watching Hooper shaking his head as he walked off at half time  really does suggest that all is not well . It was a dire first 45 mins.

Why Ruddy is told to kick long balls to Snoddy is a complete mystery. RS isn''t good in the air, and we don''t pick up the second phase headers. In the end we were just consistently giving the ball straight back to them .

Second half was a little better , but still we only really threatened from dead balls. We did at least try and play higher up the pitch, which did mean Krul had to stay in his 18 yard box, which was a bonus. No idea what happened for the sending off. frankly it all looked like the ref just levelled it up.

Not good.

[quote user="GPB"]

I thought it was a deeply depressing first half. If we were playing 442 then we had a "2" from the kick off and that was about it. RVW played most of the time behind Hooper, and the distance between them was go great I don''t think they passed the ball to each other more than 3 times. That RVW is a shadow if the player I hoped he would be could be a result of the system, confidence or a combination of these and other factors.  either way if Hooper has a knock we are in the poo.

We sat so deep at times that Krul took a free kick from nearly on the half way line. NUFC had two full back moving forward which stopped our own FB''s getting forward. The rigid two in front of our Centre Halves , and the "wide" players spending most of their time closing out the space by coming inside just lead to us having no outlet and either passing the ball backwards or losing the ball.

NUFC could have been out of sight at half time. And to see our own turning on our players, and watching Hooper shaking his head as he walked off at half time  really does suggest that all is not well . It was a dire first 45 mins.

Why Ruddy is told to kick long balls to Snoddy is a complete mystery. RS isn''t good in the air, and we don''t pick up the second phase headers. In the end we were just consistently giving the ball straight back to them .

Second half was a little better , but still we only really threatened from dead balls. We did at least try and play higher up the pitch, which did mean Krul had to stay in his 18 yard box, which was a bonus. No idea what happened for the sending off. frankly it all looked like the ref just levelled it up.

Not good.

[/quote]You can''t play 442 against a good side (and Newcastle are a good side) that have 5 in midfield. Hooper or RVW had no option to drop back to make up the numbers otherwise would never have received the ball. I was surprised Tetty didn''t come on sooner for RVW because that looked an obvious move to me.As for the sending off, Remy was obviously the aggressor. Why the ref had to consult the linesman first is beyond me, it was a simple straight red. He bottled it by sending Johno off who was only defending himself. Pardew''s line in the papers this morning is ludicrous.

[quote user="GPB"]

Not good.

[/quote]
RvW and Hoops were never going to get, and did not get, any change from their centre backs in the air. Aiming for Snoddy was trying to find somewhere where we might have half a chance in the aerial battle. He does at least win some that are kicked at him but I agree not many last night. So I think he was the target because he was our best option in the respective match ups. This though is probably a good argument why Elmander should start in a 4 4 2 formation alongside either Hoops or RvW. Currently on form that would be Hoops, which leaves RvW as an impact substitute, which despite our hopes when he was signed is about right.
Thanks for the report as always Ricardo. Whilst we could have nicked it at the end, I agree this was a fortunate point earned not two lost.
And in case any of our trolls are reading this I have just got back home from the match. It is a bit of a different life for us long distance plastics!
OTBC

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="GPB"]

Not good.

[/quote]You can''t play 442 against a good side (and Newcastle are a good side) that have 5 in midfield. Hooper or RVW had no option to drop back to make up the numbers otherwise would never have received the ball. I was surprised Tetty didn''t come on sooner for RVW because that looked an obvious move to me.As for the sending off, Remy was obviously the aggressor. Why the ref had to consult the linesman first is beyond me, it was a simple straight red. He bottled it by sending Johno off who was only defending himself. Pardew''s line in the papers this morning is ludicrous. [/quote]

the way i saw it, the ref saw the non existant head butt and thought he had no choice but to send remy off. Only then did he consult his linesman who said that it was 6 of 1, half dozen of the other so Foy felt he had to send Johnson off too. A yellow would have been enough for both, a red for remy was harsh but understandable, but to send Johnson off made it look like the ref had no idea of what happened.

i think foy is an awful ref anyway - he seemed to give free kicks to break up counter attacks so he didn''t have to run to catch up with play, looked terribly off the pace

Thanks for the report Ricardo. Spot on as usual. That first half was utterly woeful and I was also surprised to see us line up the same way second half.

I think I''ll always be one of those supporters who pines for Wes when we can''t string a pass together, even though it looks inevitable he is on his way out, if not now then likely in the summer. Tettey was the only real option on the bench but if he was there I would have took RVW off for Wes.

I get increasingly anxious when we line up 442 against anything other than similar opposition also playing 4 in midfield, Snoddy had a pass completion of 22% at half time on the stats I saw and nearly every player was mid 50s% or below! I''m not surprised, we were completely overrun.

"Snoddy had a pass completion of 22% at half time on the stats I saw and

nearly every player was mid 50s% or below! I''m not surprised, we were

completely overrun."

oh dearthe rest of us were watching the game - a sure fire method of judging what went on and how players performed