Sign in to follow this  
Ketts Rebel

Snodgate

Ok Snodgrass didn''t play his best game, but did he really deserved the abuse from the Snake Pit?

I thought it was well out of order..and big respect to him when he came over to the Snake Pit at the end of the game.

He took a another poor corner kick from the snake pit corner. The fans reacted with some real venom...worst I''ve seen directed at one of our own. Sad to see. He spun around and dished some back..which made things worse.

Part and parcel of the game - Snodgrass was poor and was his 3rd or 4th corner that failed to beat the first man. Snodgrass'' reaction showed he knew he wasn''t good enough imo - if i make a mistake at work the last thing i want is somebody on my back telling me, i can admit to and face up to mistakes. I don''t need somebody to make me feel worse

however, i can see the fans frustration - the performance wasn''t a one off, time and time this season he''s failed to put in decent deliveries

then surely the onus is on the manager to get someone else to take the corners

I cannot see the point of having a go at your own players - unless he is a slacker, which Snodgrass certainly isn''t

CR seems to have drawn in a fair number of halfwits over recent years

[quote user="Alex "]Fair play to Snods for giving the d1cks some back, hopefully he''ll Cantona them next time[/quote] yes, because a 9month ban for a player is just what we need? How will that help?

Was embarrassing to be honest. Some of the "fans" made absolute aRses of themselves. One bald bloke in particular in a blue jacket had to be restrained by a steward ffs. All because he said a few words back.

Snoddy apologized for it anyway and the fans in that section applauded him for it so let''s move on and hope to god it never happens again.

Some of our fans need to stop behaving like teenage girls and get a grip.

Unless, of course, they are teenage girls, then thats fine.

It does get my back up when a player can''t take a simple corner. In my playing days (at a much lower level !) we had a 6''5'''' center half and for corners I could always cross the ball so he would meet it perfectly. If I could do it at my level, why can''t professionals do it ?

Its not about a simple corner though, is it? If a player just had to deliver the exact same ball every time, I''m sure he could. But I assume they work on variations other than just lumping it to the far post.

But what its actually about is scapegoating, not corners.

[quote user="swindoncanary"]It does get my back up when a player can''t take a simple corner. In my playing days (at a much lower level !) we had a 6''5'''' center half and for corners I could always cross the ball so he would meet it perfectly. If I could do it at my level, why can''t professionals do it ? [/quote]It is certainly puzzling me. As we all know, Snoddy was fantastic last season and I have been loathe to critiscise him because of that. This season, he has looked a bit tired but even so, and even with a dip in form, taking simple corners should not be particularly challenging. Rather than trying to attempt his previous pinpoint accuracy, he would  perhaps do better to concentrate on lifting the ball into the general area and let the forwards make the moves. I wonder if he has changed his boots - I''m being serious but clutching at straws.

[quote user="Le Juge"]The best corner taker at the club is David Fox.[/quote]unfortunately unlike american football we cant play special teams players - David Fox is not good enough for the premier league.  The same old cliches were dragged out again about him being the playmaker when he was allowed time and space in that training ground match against Fulham at home - soon as they upped the ante and pressed at Craven Cottage, Fox was totally ineffectual and a liability due to his lack of athleticism.Cant disagree he''s a good corner taker but that is not enough

maybe his dip in form has to do with the instructions from the manager ... as with Bassong, the newbies who aren''t delivering as expected and a midfield that has been told not to mark or leave ''their positions'' when we have the ball

or maybe it isn''t the coaching or tactics but that the players are failing together

now what would you think .... ?

I see no need to single out players during a match but for gods sake Snodgrass needs to be sold.He was OK at times last season but not great- better than most of the rest of the players admittedly just like Bassong was.I really believe the team is better without him- even though he ''can'' deliver a great ball or nick a goal he more often slows the play, gets in the way or plays a poor ball.

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]Also, unrelated to the incident with the fans, why is he the outlet for ruddy for every clearance? Any ideas?[/quote]Because as a goalkeeper, one of the main things you get taught as far as distribution goes is aim your long balls wide, because otherwise any half-decent centre half will just head it straight back from where it came, unless you''ve got a Lukaku/Drogba/Crouch type player to aim for.I have people who sit round me who moan that Ruddy doesn''t just hoof it down the middle. That''s food and drink for the majority of centre backs, even at Sunday league level. Snoddy isn''t exactly brilliant in the air but I''d fancy him to win a few against most full backs. The only thing I would argue is that when Pilks is playing, there shouldn''t be any reason why we don''t aim for him as well. Fair enough if we''ve got Redmond/Murphy/E.Bennett on the opposite flank, but Pilks should be good enough aerially to get his head on a few.

So exactly why did Snodgrass apologise?  He shouldnt have as some of them are clearly a bunch of idiots who think they are something special because they sit in that part of the ground, why is that? do they also have tattoo''s and driver Harley''s or something? Get behind your team and encourage them like the majority of the rest of the fans, rather than create a poor atmosphere and picking on one of our better player''s.............  

Dubai Mark wrote the following post at 2014-01-29 9:33 AM:

rather than create a poor atmosphere and picking on one of our better player''s.............

What - so you blame the crowd for a poor atmosphere - ANY gathering, be it at football or a Rugby or a gig or whatever are driven by what is happening before them! Think about it!

And, errrrm, Snodgrass one if our better players - really? Just why did the crowd moan at him - my 79 year old mother could take a better dead ball kick. He was lamentable, summed up by his own frustration in insulting those who pay part of his wages and have a right to express their opinion. They pay their way. You, him and many others would do well to remember that!

I''m sure it won''t be the last time in their lives that someone tells them to F off! They are an embarrassment at times. Getting on your own players backs helps no one.

With respect JF, it was borne out of frustration. Frustration that has been apparent in many games this season with Snoddy.

I wouldn''t question his workrate, but the quality he has delivered has been way short of where it should be.

He has got himself into numerous good positions, but made wrong choices, it happens.

People are talking about the inability to kick a dead ball, into an area, and let the rest of them fight it out. He has ''achieved'' a much higher percentage of poor/shocking deliveries than he should have.

Last night, at the time, we were limited to so few attacking opportunities, so to get a chance like a corner (which we obviously scored from against Hull) was a chance to score a goal.

Fans weren''t expecting Snoddy to score from there, just put the ball into the middle of the area. He failed miserably.

I have said before how frustrated I was, at the Villa game where he tore their fullback a new one, yet Guzan has never has an easier catching practice.

If that was the first game of the season, then Fans would be a little more patient, but it has constantly been part of his game this season. If that improves, we WILL score /win more.

I''ve moaned at Snoddy in the past but one thing you can''t criticise him for is his commitment. He never hides on the pitch unlike certain others & always gives his all. Anyone watching him in the last 18 months knows he moans argues harangs everyone all the time, the opposition, his teammates the manager & himself, so this time he had a go at the crowd, not right but it''s happened before with players & it will happen again. Heat of the moment get over it. I would rather have a player with a bit of passion than some of the shrinking violets we''ve got. After all perhaps just perhaps some of the players may be as frustrated as us

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]yes, because a 9month ban for a player is just what we need? How will that help?[/quote]Because then Hughton won''t have the ability to play him every damn game despite him being utterly and completely off form...Last night he attempted 11 crosses - only 2 were successful (18% success rate), combine this with a 58% pass success rate and the fact that he''s the most regularly dispossessed player in our entire team, and you have a player that is nothing like the guy he was last season and instead is a complete liability in the majority of games.We focus far too much play down his wing, he slows play down incessantly and even his set pieces have turned to s**t!More than enough reasons why not being able to play him would be a good thing at the minute...