Sign in to follow this  
Simple Jack

Is RVW our worst ever signing

Having worked all over the world in the oil industry I have a great deal of empathy with RVW. It can take time to settle into a new country with new cultures etc. doubly difficult if as I have heard his wag is struggling to settle. Give him time he will come good

Watching that tunnel cam, It was visibly clear at full time he was delighted to see us win. I''m prepared to give him time until summer providing we can do enough to stay up.

Worst case scenario, IF we were to fall through the trapdoor, what you estimate Wolf''s "fire sale" value would be? How big a hit would we have to take?

I think last night''s "performance" might have gone a long way to answering this particular conundrum. Eight and a half million pounds. Try saying it to yourself a few times whilst picturing a large sign saying "Value for money".

Would we realistically get any of that outlay back now??

[quote user="Simple Jack"]I think last night''s "performance" might have gone a long way to answering this particular conundrum. Eight and a half million pounds. Try saying it to yourself a few times whilst picturing a large sign saying "Value for money".

Would we realistically get any of that outlay back now??[/quote]

You really are a first class plank. 

He''s an ex player who''s pining for the edam, he is berift he is no more and he''s gone to join the choir invisible.

He''s a dead player and we paid £8 million quid for him![:@]

[quote user="Simple Jack"]Perhaps he looks better if you''re watching a stream LDC? Those who actually go to games know he''s awful.[/quote]on a value for money basis i don''t think there can be any debate at the moment that he is well on track to being our worst ever signing8.5 million :(

What does he offer. Can''t tackle,can''t run,can''t shoot,can''t hold the ball up,no positional sense. So much so that defenders do not bother to mark him too closely,it''s like watching a butterfly in a conservatory flitting here,flitting there looking for a way out.

An incredible waste of money.

The most amazing claim by his apologists is that he is a gifted player but we''re not playing to his strengths. Virtually in to February and I simply see no evidence of any strengths. Indeed Felixfan gives a nice summary of the [many] weak points in his performances so far. And I won''t accept any more excuses relating to his twisted sock.

We bought a complete dud, plain and simple.

He was p-ss por last night and this has resulted in some of the OTT criticism in this thread.

He had begun to look quite useful previously and it seems that that vital one goal might make all the difference for him, but even apologists like me are gradually running out of sympathy.

So you think RVW is worse than Michael Theoklitos. Your a joke! The league he used to play in is completely different to the fast paced premiership he''s in now. Don''t give me the crap "Thats What he''s paid for"

Just remember, he is not getting the service nor is Elmander, Hooper or any others in the squad. He needs another season

Oh and the rest of you who are moaning at Snodgrass, you really need a life. The most hard working player on the pitch in most games! Are you all perfect in everyway. I don''t think so.

Looks like Cardiff are sending their own £8.5m flop back with the reciept! Cornelius has been just as ineffective as RVW of not worse.

Didcot - Theoklitis cost peanuts, was coming into a Third Division team with zero expectation of what he could do. He turned out to be useless, big deal.

We more than doubled the club''s transfer record to bring in Wolf in the expectation of getting a player who could score plenty of goals in the Premier League. He turned out to be useless. Given the outlay, massive problem for the club>

>Looks like Cardiff are sending their own £8.5m flop back with the reciept! Cornelius has been just as ineffective as RVW of not worse.

I think it''s a very good comparison. Cardiff are prepared to cut their losses and take a £5 million hit. I can''t see us getting more than 3.5 million for RVW and I can''t see how the situation is going to improve. The give him time argument is feeble. We didn''t pay £8.5 million to train someone.

Seems like a theme with the dutch lads, moving into competitive, tough leagues. Undoubtedly very skilfull players who need toughening up - quote ....... The Netherlands international, 23, passed his medical on Wednesday and will remain with the Magpies for the rest of the season De Jong joined Monchengladbach for a reported £12.6m two years ago, after scoring 45 goals in 86 games for Dutch Eredivisie side FC Twente. But he has found the net just six times in the Bundesliga".

Quite right Kangaroo. We didn''t pay top dollar for a kid, a prospect, one for the future. We paid £8.5 million for a top class striker who would hit the ground running and the back of the onion bag on a regular basis.

Is that what we got?

Can''t be bothered to read the whole thread but I can''t believe there are people who can''t see the reason for a proven quality striker''s threat being neutralised.

If you don''t know, Tweet Grant Holt and ask him.

[quote user="Simple Jack"]Quite right Kangaroo. We didn''t pay top dollar for a kid, a prospect, one for the future. We paid £8.5 million for a top class striker who would hit the ground running and the back of the onion bag on a regular basis.

Is that what we got?[/quote]
So far nearly all your posts have been about how you dislike Ricky, its getting rather pathetic to be honest. Its not just about this one player why we are struggling, we need to look at the bigger picture. Yes Ricky is our club record signing and yes he is struggling but NO he is not are worst ever signing, why not try and get behind the lad on match days instead of b1tching and moaning all the time which is most likely effecting his confidence.
Please debate on other things which are a bigger problem than Ricky, like tactics from a manager who bought these players but cant get the best out of them, strange subs, Snoddy undroppable & under performing, defenders and midfielders backing off players when they run at them, the list goes on and on.  

Holt , Becchio , Wolfswinkle , all scored goals for fun untill they met up with Hughton  , Hooper on his longest drought since 2009 , surely it has to be the manager doesnt it ?

[quote user="Felixfan"]What does he offer. Can''t tackle,can''t run,can''t shoot,can''t hold the ball up,no positional sense. So much so that defenders do not bother to mark him too closely,it''s like watching a butterfly in a conservatory flitting here,flitting there looking for a way out.

An incredible waste of money.[/quote]I haven''t seen enough to judge, and I believe there could be at least something in the argument that we are not playing to whatever strength (pure goalscoring?) he might have. And that - conversely - his obvious weaknesses are being highlighted. But then Felixfan is not one for hyperbole, and that is a pretty damning assessment.One aspect of this I mentioned a while ago is whether, irrespective of how he is doing for us, we overpaid. Whether Sporting quoting a figure of £18.5m this time last year was a cunning ploy that fooled us into into assuming, when the price was slashed to £8.5m, that we must be getting a bargain. It would interesting to know how the deal has been structured. Whether it is essentially a lump sum of £8.5m or a basic figure considerably less than that, with add-ons for appearances.

Not the worst because of reasons given by others, but maybe the stupidest. Why sign him if you have no intention of playing a style that makes his price tag worthwhile? What genius said we need this guy so we can play a style he''s not suited or built for?

All it''s done so far is damage his career and our finances, not to mention make the chance of signing any up-and-coming strikers that much less likely. Someone vying for a spot on a top ranked World Cup team''s strike force will think twice before signing with us if we can''t generate more offense.

Anyone who claims he has little to offer is clearly uninformed. Just take a look ( as a refresher ) at any of the video clips of his past performance. There''s a host of them. Here''s just one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPfAiYOMCt8

Ricky''s start with Norwich City has not been good. It''s his first year moving into a different type of league than he has been used to. Combine that with a tough injury to contend with ( for anyone who has played football a toe injury is tough, particularly for a striker ) as well as what has become painfully obvious to most of us that the Norwich style lacks aggressiveness moving forward, and it adds up to a rough start for someone with a heavy price tag. However, to turn that into he can''t run, he can''t tackle etc. is shortsighted. This young man has got talent. If it doesn''t get utilized at Norwich then I''m certain it will somewhere else, probably with one of the teams we are competing with.

How he performed in Portugal is irrelevant. Their league is not the same level as the Premier League. The same is true of Cornelius. You can''t just pull players from the lesser leagues of Europe and expect them to perform as well in the Premier League.

RVW is worth more than 3.5m, surely Kangaroo Court? I understand your frustrated he''s not scoring goals for Norwich every game, with his limited supply line. Come on man, there is no need to be so doom and gloom about it. Bergkamp started slowly for Arsemal. Zidane did so for Real Madrid. Give him time.

OK guys, I get the frustration. We''ve spent a club record £8,500,000 on a player and he hasn''t broken Dixie Dean''s record for the most goals scored in one season. He''s been out injured for about half of our games and when he does play it is playing in a team that struggles to create more than 3 clear chances in a game. I remember many years ago having a similar conversation about a new striker we had just signed who had a rough start to his career at Carrow Road and wondering if he was the clubs biggest waste of money ever.

Here''s how Wikipedia describes the start of his career for City:-

In July 1997, Norwich City manager Mike Walker paid £850,000 to Wolves to secure the services of Roberts. His time at the club did not begin happily, however. Following his debut in August 1997, he struggled throughout the 1997–98 season and scored just 7 goals; "there were certainly those in the stands who were questioning whether he was worth the near £1,000,000 splashed out on him".

"He played eight games in Division One before finally breaking his league duck... He then played another eight matches before his next goal but, gradually, his fitness levels began to improve."He''d scored just four goals in most of a season. However, "three goals in the final two home games of the season left in good heart for the next campaign"

and then the end of it:-

"A few days before the club''s last home match of that 2003–04 season, Norwich manager Nigel Worthington announced that Roberts would not be offered a new contract when his deal expired that summer. Worthington felt that, following promotion to the Premiership, the club had to look to the future and that Roberts was now surplus to requirements. The Norwich supporters gave him a rapturous reception at his last match for the club at Carrow Road and during the post-match promotion celebrations Roberts wore a T-shirt that bore the legend ''Thanks for 7 great years''. With the championship already won, Worthington restored Roberts to the starting line-up for the last game of the season at Gresty Road against Crewe Alexandra and made him captain for the day. Roberts scored twice as City won 3–1. The first of his goals that day is rated by many Norwich fans as one of the best that he ever scored for the club. Overall, he scored 96 goals in 306 games for Norwich. "Iwan Roberts scored two goals, one of them an absolute corker, to bring the curtain down on a wonderful career in highly appropriate fashion."

So in short one snow flake does not make a winter. Give the boy a chance, let him settle and who knows maybe in 7 years time we''re hailing him as one of the most astute signings ever as he becomes the first City player ever to score 100 top flight goals and fires us to a Champions League final!

Yankee - if you wander up to Sloughbottom Park on a Sunday morning you''ll see plenty of call centre workers and butchers'' assistants scoring great goals. Do you think they could replicate those efforts in the Premier League?