Sign in to follow this  
Matt Juler

It's all too regimented

In one of our most successful games, - away at Stoke, we probably still played with the regimented method you describe, but what was noticeable was the marking and tackling. For once we had tactics which were right - to prevent them playing their long ball game.

At the moment we are supine, holding off the tackle, not in their faces. The players must know that this is what we face every week,and we are generally not quick enough to overcome it.

The present strategy, which I agree does seem over-regimented, is probably the response by a manager who has snuffed out all expressions of individuality and creativity (- otherwise he would be playing Redmond a lot more, and possibly Josh Murphy and Wes.) It seems to be his answer to the loss of confidence and fear, - "keep them out for as long as you can, then try to score, and keep the two lines of four intact, and everyone do what I have asked for you individually." There seems little freedom, and the method has to be followed resolutely.

The attitude of the manager may reveal a lack of confidence in his players, despite his words, although it is surprising that he hasn''t made a greater entry into the market for new players this window - one fairly unexciting loan and beginning to look as if that is all.

Apologies if this link has been posted before.http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/everton-boss-roberto-martinez-any-team-in-the-top-seven-can-win-the-title-this-year-9074348.htmlThis Interview with Roberto Martinez was really interesting, this quote below really hit home with me and our current management team.

“In the English game we have been developing an inferior type of player because we didn’t allow them to think. We, the coaches and the managers, are to blame for the way we educate the players. We tell them what to do. It is very structured, everything’s a straight line. We kill the creative vein of the player.

“Footballers should have the freedom of how to put the ball in the back of the net. To do that, you need to engage with other players, appreciate space, control the ball, the tempo. It shouldn’t be just box to box. On the continent, players are thinkers. They know you cannot play the same way in the first five minutes as in the last five, when you are 1-0 up or 1-0 down, when the other team presses you high up or when it allows you to play.”

I just think this quote really highlights why we look so different from say a team like Southampton. They have invested a little more in players but in truth it''s not been the big signings that have impressed but the free homegrown players. This is why there is a clamor to hire foreign coaches, to buy foreign players. We can''t undo years of regressive coaching techniques that stifle creativity. Wes is a perfect example, as a footballer he is an artist, he doesn''t like to be told what to do, where to stand, what run to make. He wants to go out and create based on his natural football instincts. I think Hughton see''s him as a liability, that''s why he hasn''t been played regularly. Where as a manager like Martinez may see him as a necessary risk to break up the 2 banks of 4 mentality, to you know.... score goals.This isn''t a Hughton bashing post, lots of the teams down the bottom (and their managers) look to have the same issues.

Apologies if this link has been posted before.http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/everton-boss-roberto-martinez-any-team-in-the-top-seven-can-win-the-title-this-year-9074348.htmlThis

Interview with Roberto Martinez was really interesting, this quote

below really hit home with me and our current management team.

“In

the English game we have been developing an inferior type of player

because we didn’t allow them to think. We, the coaches and the managers,

are to blame for the way we educate the players. We tell them what to

do. It is very structured, everything’s a straight line. We kill the

creative vein of the player.

“Footballers

should have the freedom of how to put the ball in the back of the net.

To do that, you need to engage with other players, appreciate space,

control the ball, the tempo. It shouldn’t be just box to box. On the

continent, players are thinkers. They know you cannot play the same way

in the first five minutes as in the last five, when you are 1-0 up or

1-0 down, when the other team presses you high up or when it allows you

to play.”

I just think this quote really highlights why

we look so different from say a team like Southampton. They have

invested a little more in players but in truth it''s not been the big

signings that have impressed but the free homegrown players. This is why

there is a clamor to hire foreign coaches, to buy foreign players. We

can''t undo years of regressive coaching techniques that stifle

creativity. Wes is a perfect example, as a footballer he is an

artist, he doesn''t like to be told what to do, where to stand, what run

to make. He wants to go out and create based on his natural football

instincts. I think Hughton see''s him as a liability, that''s why he

hasn''t been played regularly. Where as a manager like Martinez may see

him as a necessary risk to break up the 2 banks of 4 mentality, to you

know.... score goals.This isn''t a Hughton bashing post, lots of the teams down the bottom (and their managers) look to have the same issues.