Sign in to follow this  
Reggie Strayshun

Nineteenth Century football

Apparently Senhor Mourinho feels that the style of play Allardyce''s Wet Spam play comes from the nineteenth century.I wonder what era the Special One feels the fare served up by Hughton''s Norwich City originates from ?

I like Mourinho, but he''s being a total hypocrite here. His teams have parked the bus quite a few teams while he''s been in charge. Will be interesting to see what tactics Chelsea try at Man City next Monday.

Will also be interesting to see what tactics we try away at Chelsea later on in the season. Perhaps cramming all ten of our players in our own penalty box from the off and defending for our lives just like West Ham last night might be an option.

In many ways out approach to games is closer to that of Chelsea than it is to West Ham.

The evidence is there to be seen really.

I don''t believe that we set our team up to be as defensive as it sometimes looks. When Hughton states he wants high tempo - I very much doubt he means that he want''s high tempo in our own half!

Big Sam, has always played the long ball game, much like Pullis at Stoke. This means you need a tough back line and a midfield that is largely bypassed with the initial ball forward to the big target man.

Our problem is that we have just been very poor in possession.

Take the Newcastle game, we won possession often enough, but we struggled to get anything going, to get any build up to our play apart from a couple of occasions.

As a defender, if the ball is coming back at you as quick as you are playing it out because the players in front of you can''t keep hold of it you won''t push up as the risk of being caught out in behind is increased.

As a midfielder you will reduce your runs forward if people''s passing is poor and the ball is rarely good enough or accurate enough. As a striker, you will drop deeper to try and help the midfield if you see people are losing confidence etc.

Then you end up with the situation we are in. Poor form, poor confidence and at times a seemingly lack of impetus going forward.

Mourinho said: "Good organisation, good mentality, and good belief. Simple football but played very well" last time we played them Reggie...

It doesn''t make for a pretty spectacle I agree, but when one club has had £1bn or so investment over the last 10 years, WTF are the relative have nots supposed to do?

Kind of despressing however you look at it.

[quote user="I.S."]Mourinho said: "Good organisation, good mentality, and good belief. Simple football but played very well" last time we played them Reggie...[/quote]Hmm. Good job he wasn''t at CR between 7.45 and 8.30 on Tuesday night, then IS !Tbh, this thread was meant more than a little tongue in cheek. I''d agree that entertainment has never been first and foremost in Mourinho''s mind. His Inter Milan team in particular ran drying paint a close second as a spectacle.

I just knew this subject would appear on here, was tempted myself.  Mourinho is always good value and must have been very very frustrated after the game, but at the end of the day West Ham achieved their objective, and that''s what is required from all of the teams in the bottom half right now.......sorry to say, regardless of how it is achieved.