Sign in to follow this  
Dubai Mark

Will the "fan factor" help to put us down or keep us up?

Accepting that the team is not playing as well as we would all like, and considering just how remarkably tight the bottom half of the table is. I feel that the margins between staying up or getting relegated are so slim that the Carrow Road atmosphere on match days could now be crucial to where our team ends up at the end of the season.

My guess is that many will disagree with me, but from hearing the game on the TV and then chatting to a mate who went on Tuesday, the atmosphere created by a significant minority really could, I believe will, if it continues cost us points. Do those who start the negativity, booing and the attacks on players realise how much damage they are doing and will do if they continue?

Right now we need everything possible going the right way to survive the situation (as do soemthing like 10 other clubs), the league position, as mentioned elsewhere is a little misleading right now and we really must consider those final four games too. So, its results right now that will make the difference, from a team who feel motivated to play at their home ground, not dreading running out knowing that as soon as the game isnt going in our favour or if they make a mistake the crowd will get on their back.

This is the time for the Carrow Road crowd to become "the 12th man"....my worry, from previous experience is that it wont happen and that''s a concern....isnt it?     

Totally agree. If we are going to be supporters, we need to support our club. We all want to be higher in the league (human nature), we all like a good moan now and again (human nature) and we would all like to see more entertaining football. BUT, we are Norwich, we don''t have Man City''s cheque book, players won''t always want to come to Norwich (ditto managers) and I think that we are probably fighting above our weight in reality (are we really the 12th biggest/best financed/most attractive club in England). Bit of perspective maybe and enjoy our club''s relative success rather than constant negativity and moaning. We won''t always be a Prem team (as won''t all clubs outside of maybe the top 10), so let''s try and enjoy it now while we can - one day we will look at what we currently have, with a different perspective.

Its only going to get worse, the atmosphere is poisonous for a reason. The football being served up is dire. I feel this is something that has been massively overlooked by the board for the 2nd half of the season. They have chosen to stick with what they have. Most fans are in a position of Catch 22 also following the announcement of next seasons ticket renewal prices. All the people I know have quite clearly stated they will not renew if Hughton is in charge. However with the deadline approaching or a big price increase for next season if they "wait it out" so to speak, then they really dont know what to do! The club have put up later renewal prices trying to force peoples hands, therefore if people renew on the hope he is removed they may have another season of dross to watch. On the other hand they may pay an extra £60 to find out what they want to do? I hope the majority vote with the additional £60 payment to send a message to the board that fans do have a voice. Unfortunately this lines their pockets for failing to do the decent thing and remove a manager responsible for serving up uninspiring and unacceptable performances for over a year now. We got lucky with games last season against teams that were already on their holidays. I am not convinced our current league position of our standing and like many feel we are not far off a disaster during the final 5 games. Basically fans are not happy at all and the inactivity speaks volumes regards how happy the board are! I just hope this whole mess comes to a happy end soon and people can get back to enjoying game days and rally behind the team. This is not going to happen under Hughton as people have basically had enough. A loss to Cardiff Sat followed by a Heavy loss to Man city and the pressure is only going to increase and more than likely the Boos and Manager out chants starting! 

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]

Accepting that the team is not playing as well as we would all like, and considering just how remarkably tight the bottom half of the table is. I feel that the margins between staying up or getting relegated are so slim that the Carrow Road atmosphere on match days could now be crucial to where our team ends up at the end of the season.

My guess is that many will disagree with me, but from hearing the game on the TV and then chatting to a mate who went on Tuesday, the atmosphere created by a significant minority really could, I believe will, if it continues cost us points. Do those who start the negativity, booing and the attacks on players realise how much damage they are doing and will do if they continue?

Right now we need everything possible going the right way to survive the situation (as do soemthing like 10 other clubs), the league position, as mentioned elsewhere is a little misleading right now and we really must consider those final four games too. So, its results right now that will make the difference, from a team who feel motivated to play at their home ground, not dreading running out knowing that as soon as the game isnt going in our favour or if they make a mistake the crowd will get on their back.

This is the time for the Carrow Road crowd to become "the 12th man"....my worry, from previous experience is that it wont happen and that''s a concern....isnt it?     

[/quote]

You''re laying the blame in the wrong area Mr Dubai.

[quote user="Long drives home"]Its only going to get worse, the atmosphere is poisonous for a reason. The football being served up is dire. I feel this is something that has been massively overlooked by the board for the 2nd half of the season. They have chosen to stick with what they have. Most fans are in a position of Catch 22 also following the announcement of next seasons ticket renewal prices. All the people I know have quite clearly stated they will not renew if Hughton is in charge. However with the deadline approaching or a big price increase for next season if they "wait it out" so to speak, then they really dont know what to do! The club have put up later renewal prices trying to force peoples hands, therefore if people renew on the hope he is removed they may have another season of dross to watch. On the other hand they may pay an extra £60 to find out what they want to do? I hope the majority vote with the additional £60 payment to send a message to the board that fans do have a voice. Unfortunately this lines their pockets for failing to do the decent thing and remove a manager responsible for serving up uninspiring and unacceptable performances for over a year now. We got lucky with games last season against teams that were already on their holidays. I am not convinced our current league position of our standing and like many feel we are not far off a disaster during the final 5 games. Basically fans are not happy at all and the inactivity speaks volumes regards how happy the board are! I just hope this whole mess comes to a happy end soon and people can get back to enjoying game days and rally behind the team. This is not going to happen under Hughton as people have basically had enough. A loss to Cardiff Sat followed by a Heavy loss to Man city and the pressure is only going to increase and more than likely the Boos and Manager out chants starting!  [/quote]

You haven''t really answered the OP''s question though, have you. If Hughton remains in charge, is it not better for us as fans to get behind the team instead of moaning? Does that not give us a better chance of getting the points we need?

The fans cheer when there''s something to cheer for.

Parents of toddlers playing parks league games cheer anything, bad or good, their child does as he stumbles around not really sure what he''s doing but boy oh boy he''s having fun doing it.

You want Carrow Road to sound like that? 26,000 parents cheering, "Oh well done, Johnny," each time we touch the ball? I dont think even our dumbest player would play any better to happy clapping.

These guys are competitors. I think an occasional challenge from the fans would bring out their fighting spirit. It did Tuesday.

Yes, that''s exactly what he said Houston. Exactly.

Deja vu, isn''t it?  This is where we were towards the end of last season when the club were issuing supporters with ''clappers'' at every home game.  The problem this time around is that everyone is tired of it all.  Backing a negative, defensive, uncreative side who rarely score takes its toll. We''ve come to accept it.The silence and indifference during games at Carrow Road is far worse than the half-time booing.  Supporters have been bored into silence.  The boos and jeers actually make a change.  At least fans are showing they care.The ''12th man'' didn''t prevent Norwich getting relegated at Fulham. But at least they did their part that day, even if the players didn''t. It''s a two-way street. The players and management need to do their part and the fans will back them.

Ultimately, fan support (or otherwise) can make or break a manager. I will renew irrespective, as it''s my club and I will support it through thick and thin. For the rest of this season, I will support the team as long as Hughton remains in charge – I wanted him gone, but if he''s staying then we''ve got to suck it up and support the players.

If Hughton is still in charge at the start of next season and we''re still playing dull, unimaginative football, I would wholeheartedly endorse the fans letting the board know in no uncertain terms that they want change.

For now, though, I think it''s imperative that we support the team and help them over the line. The satisfaction of saying ''I was right all along'' if we go down will be far outweighed by the miserable hurly-burly of Championship football.

Great post, Feedthewolf. Sums up my feelings almost exactly.

[quote user="Feedthewolf"]Ultimately, fan support (or otherwise) can make or break a manager. I will renew irrespective, as it''s my club and I will support it through thick and thin. For the rest of this season, I will support the team as long as Hughton remains in charge – I wanted him gone, but if he''s staying then we''ve got to suck it up and support the players.

If Hughton is still in charge at the start of next season and we''re still playing dull, unimaginative football, I would wholeheartedly endorse the fans letting the board know in no uncertain terms that they want change.

For now, though, I think it''s imperative that we support the team and help them over the line. The satisfaction of saying ''I was right all along'' if we go down will be far outweighed by the miserable hurly-burly of Championship football.[/quote]

This ^^^. It is the only sensible attitude to have imo. The Hughton debate is not the main issue at the moment, so all passion should be directed at players, not the manager.  Anger directed at players is acceptable when they mess up and a good player will respond to that positively.  So  a little frustration shown at players is ok imo.   They are the ones that go on the field and they have to perform.   Turn your frustration into positive energy and direct it at the players.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]The fans cheer when there''s something to cheer for.

Parents of toddlers playing parks league games cheer anything, bad or good, their child does as he stumbles around not really sure what he''s doing but boy oh boy he''s having fun doing it.

You want Carrow Road to sound like that? 26,000 parents cheering, "Oh well done, Johnny," each time we touch the ball? I dont think even our dumbest player would play any better to happy clapping.

These guys are competitors. I think an occasional challenge from the fans would bring out their fighting spirit. It did Tuesday.[/quote]

An excellent post feed the wolf.

Now, to the above from Houston Canary. Set up that straw man argument very nicely didn''t you?

Where did I say that we should ''cheer anything''? What I said was that we are more likely to get points with a positive atmosphere than a negative one. That can be started by not booing our own player when he doesn''t beat the first man. Never mind the fact Snodgrass won us the game v West Ham. People have very short memories.

Mr Jimbo I am not laying the blame at all in the wrong area, simply suggesting that a negative "fan factor" could contribute to our drop out of this division as the margins are so slim, and thats all this is about. I must stress that I have on many occasions had a moan whilst at Carrow Road, several times, that''s fine and we all do it, the players generall accept it if its fair and well natured and it doesnt effect their performance....BUT, there is big difference between that and the atmosphere becoming negative and nasty (which has happened before and is clearly starting to happen again)...which will always affect players performance negatively, ......as well as many other factors of course.......but this is one factor the fans can contribute towards   

And my point, which you missed, is that sometimes underperforming pros sometimes do need a kick in the rear to reach their potential.

Fans weren''t booing good play on Tuesday. Im sure CH didn''t coddle the team at halftime.

We played much better after that. Once again, these guys are pros, grown men.

Houston...I enjoy your input on this board...but, have you ever been to a football ground when the fans (even a significant minority) turn against their own team? I am doubting it, because you do appear to have missed my point, and from experience I, and others on here will know exactly where we could be heading if it continues and escalates, and it isnt nice, doesnt give the players a kick and WILL cost us points.

I''ve been in trouble on here before for stating my views about this so...

Here goes again[;)]

Not renewing because of the "football we are served up" is the comment of a consumer rather than a supporter and surely no supporter would ever use their support as a weapon to get what they want from the club.

The admission that there would be some satisfaction in seeing us relegated also beggars belief. But this view is certainly prevalent. There was a lot of joy after the second half against West Ham but I also witnessed disappointment from some people who though they had been "proved right" at half-time.

There is a increasing amount of fans with a negative mindset on match days. Waiting for something to go wrong and being disappointed and sometimes even angry if it doesn''t happen. If this continues the board will have to act. Rightly or wrongly because this atmosphere will be harmful if left to fester much longer. I remember after Roeder was sacked reading a comment from a board member saying they''d learned the lesson about managers who lose the fans from the Worthy unrest. Perhaps we are not there yet with Hughton. But I would say there are a sizeable number of our fans aching to be proved right even though it wouldn''t be in the club''s best interests and getting them back onside may only be possible by sacking the manager.

Can we stop blaming the fans and get back to the crap being delivered on the pitch?

If it is down to the way the fans react why are Portsmouth in the position they are in? All this talk about the Snakepit fans being morons compared to the rest of the stadium is pathetic, other areas of the ground moan as much but not in the verbal masses of the Barclay and Snakepit.

I''ve been at games of various sports where fans booing seems to spur a reaction.

I''m not talking about a poisonous atmosphere, though. Obviously that will not inspire the team.

Maybe we''re talking about 2 different things, DM.

[quote user="Feedthewolf"]Ultimately, fan support (or otherwise) can make or break a manager. I will renew irrespective, as it''s my club and I will support it through thick and thin. For the rest of this season, I will support the team as long as Hughton remains in charge – I wanted him gone, but if he''s staying then we''ve got to suck it up and support the players.

For now, though, I think it''s imperative that we support the team and help them over the line. The satisfaction of saying ''I was right all along'' if we go down will be far outweighed by the miserable hurly-burly of Championship football.[/quote]What a load of drivel people were taking this stance at the back end of last year. Here we are again and according to people on here nobody is apparently allowed to vent their opinion "yet" but next season then fine.

[quote user="Long drives home"][quote user="Feedthewolf"]Ultimately, fan support (or otherwise) can make or break a manager. I will renew irrespective, as it''s my club and I will support it through thick and thin. For the rest of this season, I will support the team as long as Hughton remains in charge – I wanted him gone, but if he''s staying then we''ve got to suck it up and support the players.

For now, though, I think it''s imperative that we support the team and help them over the line. The satisfaction of saying ''I was right all along'' if we go down will be far outweighed by the miserable hurly-burly of Championship football.[/quote]What a load of drivel people were taking this stance at the back end of last year. Here we are again and according to people on here nobody is apparently allowed to vent their opinion "yet" but next season then fine.

[/quote]

Er, that was my opinion. And what you posted is yours, and you''re perfectly entitled to it.

I wanted Hughton gone, and I still do – but if we sack him now, who will come to a failing side in a closed transfer window?

What do you think we should do, then? Vocally criticise the players and manager throughout all our games until the board sack Hughton? Be careful what you wish for, mate.