Sign in to follow this  
splutcho

Johnson Appeal

[quote user="splutcho"]Upheld!

We have him back for Saturday. Is this a good thing?[/quote]

Based on his performance midweek no

As I said at the time, the ref was just evening things up because the Newcastle players were surrounding the linesman. Remy was the agressor and Johno was just defending himself.Pardew made a fool of himself with his after match comments.

[quote user="Javiers Deaf Translator"]ah apologies, you beat me to it.

in addition - remys appeal was rejected.[/quote]We should have been playing the final 10 minutes against 10 men.

No of course it''s a good thing, it was tongue in cheek.

That said, I do rate Tettey a lot higher than Johnson.

Perhaps LDC could learn from this when he says......."People who keep whining "victim, victim" need to move on because they lost the argument a long time ago"Goood job Bradley didn''t listen to him. [:D]

So what was it the ref and the officials saw him do to send him off at the time?

What straight red card did they see?

Whilst pleased, I am still of the view that BJ did by his over reaction try and get Remy sent off, now not a red card offence, but still not clever and I presume a yellow was awarded in place of the red, if not it should be. Why cant some on this board accept that he has been playing well for the last few weeks regardless of who they think is the better player.

This is the correct decision. Was never a red. LR took the bait and deserved the red. Clever by BJ, thats what I thought at the time. Means we can now play three in the middle. Good news.

Good from the point of view that it shouldn''t have been a red and justice has been done, bad from the fact that this means he''s now available for selection...Easily our worst overall central midfielder who far too often gives the ball away from either a bad pass or being caught in possession.Tettey is so much better that it''s not even funny...

Bradley is not the most technically gifted player we have, but he always puts a shift in, never shies away from a tackle, and gives his all for the team.

Tettey may be marginally better but he''s been injured in case you haven''t noticed. Now why don''t you go and study your stats and slate our players elsewhere Indy?!

[quote user="I.S."]Tettey may be marginally better but he''s been injured in case you haven''t noticed.[/quote]He''s not ''marginally'' better, he''s a country mile better, and just because you don''t agree with the stats that back this up doesn''t make them wrong.Tettey HAS been injured, but just because Johnson is a hard worker it doesn''t make him a great backup.Frankly he''s the main weak link in the centre of our midfield, and our performances are generally worse when he plays, and there''s a certain irony in using a player who is meant to break up play and regain possession - only for them to keep giving it back to the opposition with shoddy passing, endless shots into row Z, or being too indecisive to pass to a more gifted player before they themselves lose the ball...

Do you actually go to the matches or do you just give your entire opinion on baseless stats like pass completion?

Bradley has improved massively over the last few matches, but regardless of that I don''t see the point in you constantly pointing out he has weaknesses. Well, no s**t. He is still young enough to improve, and he is doing so. His injury record is also very good, which is probably why he manages so many appearances for us.

What do you think about the stat that he''s scored more goals this season than Van Wolfswinkel? Should we stick him up front?

Stats, casual observations or otherwise. He''s not good enough for the Premier League in my opinion. Gives his absolute all and I commend him for that. His passing is desperate. It really is. And he''s so often dribbled past with consummate ease.

[quote user="I.S."]Do you actually go to the matches or do you just give your entire opinion on baseless stats like pass completion?[/quote]Oh dear...The stats are NOT baseless, they''re completely correct and verified by Opta (unless you want to argue they''ve got a vendetta against Johnson?), and if you genuinely don''t think that pass completion is a relevant statistic then you''ve already lost your own argument...As for improving - he''s been with us three years, in his first season his pass success was 78%, the year after 72%, this season 76%, so he hasn''t f**king improved at all - he''s got worse in this respect! He''s also now making less tackles than he did in either of those two previous seasons as well as being dispossessed more.So you can stick your ''improvement'' where the sun doesn''t shine - he''s not getting better - he''s getting worse and most of us with eyes can see this as well because, yes - I do watch the games (even if it''s via SKY/Streams 90% of the time).Johnson will always be one of those players with a great work ethic who gives 100% each game, but their playing ability simply can''t match up to this, it''s a damn shame but that''s football sometimes.

I find it hilarious the people that criticise Johnson yet Fer doesn''t get a mention - Fer certainly has much better potential ability but for large parts of this season he''s been much worse than Johnson.

Fer''s reluctance to make long passed whilst Howsons been out injured has meant Johnson has had to be the one trying to spread the play out to the full backs etc - not really his game.

I''m not talking about whether the stats are verified, but what they actually mean. Do they take into consideration the length of the successful pass? Whether the team play a 3-man or 2-man centre mid? The options available to the man off-the-ball when he receives it?

You can twist the stats to suit whatever argument you want to make. Would you agree that they show Bradley Johnson is a better Premier League goalscorer than RvW?

I don''t know anybody who claims Johnson is a world-beater and an elite player at this level, but unless we suddenly get in Michael Carrick I fail to see what point there is in continually pointing out how dire he is in certain areas.

Here''s a mention for Fer. Started really well once he was moved back from AM to CM but faded and now shirks responsibility. If he was developing at a club that was doing well and could afford to drop him he would be dropped or rested. Johnson''s poor as well, but I''d argue form is temporary, class is permanent- Fer is simply lagging under duress of having too much asked of him- Johnson just isn''t very good.

[quote user="hogesar"]Fer''s reluctance to make long passed whilst Howsons been out injured has meant Johnson has had to be the one trying to spread the play out to the full backs etc - not really his game.[/quote]Sorry Hog, but that''s just not fair.On average Johnson makes approx 3.8 long passes per game with a success rate of just under 64%, Fer makes approx 3 per game with a success rate of just over 76%, so over a full 38 game season, we''d see approx 145 passes from Johnson of which 93 would get to one of our players, Fer would make approx 114 passes of which 87 would get to our players, so despite playing nearly 30 balls less than Johnson, there would only be a 6 pass difference in final results...I''ll also point out that Fer has a far superior short pass success rate to boot (84% vs 76%) but they both play virtually identical the same amount of shorter passes.So Fer does NOT have a reluctance to play long balls (only Johnson and Howson play more of them and both are less succesful), and maybe if Johnson had a few extra brain cells, he''d actually let Fer handle more of the passing and stick to defensive duties (although even then Fer makes more tackles) so that Fer wasn''t constantly trying to cover Johnson''s deficiencies...