Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Swansea make bid for Pilkington

[quote user="NorthernYella"]Sell Pilks and then be ambitious and use the money and another 4 or 5 million and go get Thomas Ince, he would be a great signing and worth every penny, even Hughton can get something out of Ince[/quote]I would see Ince more so as competition for Wes.

Let''s try to deal with the injury side of things first by looking at this:09/10 - 16 games10/11 - 25 games07/08 - 15 games06/07 - 22 gamesHere we have a player who struggled to play consistently for a number of years due to ongoing injury problems, should his club have sold (and sold cheap) because of his constant injuries? If your answer is yes, then congrats, you''ve just binned off Robin Van Persie for 4-5 mil...Pilks showed in our first season back in the prem what he can truly offer when fit and given licence to attack. He was outstanding that season (I personally thought he should have had an England call-up), and one of the main contributors to our goals for tally (either by scoring himself or helping others score).He''s struggled since then with some niggling injuries (and Hughton''s less attacking approach), but he''s still a great player who''s worth far more than 3 million FFS.Anything less than 7-8 mil and we should tell them where to f**k off to tbh - as long as our Physio thinks there''s no underlying long standing problem which will allow this injury run to continue.

£3 million is way too low but I doubt we would be interested at anything other than a silly price at this stage.If I was manager I wouldn''t be interested at any price in this window.

"Yet when we have a two-footed goal scoring premier league proven winger

on our hands, and a similar size club comes sniffing, everyone shouts

from the rooftops "THREE MILL! SNAP THEIR HANDS OFF!! HE''S INJURED

SOMETIMES!!""

and your evidence is ?

I simply can''t believe the crud people spurt out sometimes.

Pilkington has never given us anything but his best. Most of the stats I have seen on here are inaccurate for various reasons - in regards to injuries etc.

For starters, under Lambert he was not always played, even when fit.

For starters I suggest people go look at Soccerbase.com which is quite an accurate database on players appearances, goals etc.

However I shall cross-reference using that and wikipedia because it is easy.

Wikipedia says the following:

Jan 09 to July 11 - two and a half seasons, 92 appearances. Covering a period in age of 20-23.

He signed for us in July 11 and we are two and a half years further down the line and he is now 25. In two and a half years here he has made 66 appearances with 14 goals.

He had a serious injury which meant he wasn''t fully fit for the start of our premiership campaign.

What you have to remember is that there are 38 games in a premier league campaign. So in two and a half seasons there are 95 fixtures (ish). It means he has missed just shy of 30 games. And how many of those have been this season? How many were due to other personel being prefered?

At the end of the day, this is the first time he has been out injured for any length of time - no real measure of him being unreliable due to injury when we have had two good seasons out of him prior to this.

I''d also add that he is by far one of our best players.

There is no way he is worth only £3million. I am hoping this is because he is sitting down negotiating a new deal and his agent is putting pressure on. At the moment I believe we have an option on a further year we can take up this summer - I''m surprised he hasn''t been offered more yet considering some players that arrived after him have been given new deals.

I don''t think a valuation of £7million plus is unrealistic. £3million certainly is.

As Ricardo says, no way. Not in January, and not for that much.

I wonder if this has come from his agent?

We can activate the extra year in the summer (which we would be mental not to) but that still leaves him with just 12 months left here.

I can''t believe for a moment that we''d let a player of his ability get to this stage of his contract without trying to get him to sign a new, longer deal, as we''ve done with the likes of

Ruddy, Bassong and Bennett recently.

My guess is that talks have been unproductive and that this is his agents way of trying to get the club to give them what they want or force a move.

giving the willingness of sky to publish any old tosh it could have come from anywhereas to it being Pilks agent I would doubt very very much as the club are very fir on transfer stuff being revealed and they would certainly then know where any leak came fromas to it being of any form of leverage then again city would know hat offers had been made so it would be pointless first I would be inclined to the sentence

Probably the most overated player we have on the books. Flatters to deceive more often than not, has one good game in every 5 and has a history of availability issues.Surplus to requirements when we have Snodgrass, Redmond, Murphy, Gutierrez & Bennett - what do we need 6 wingers for?If they offer £5m then bite their hands off.

[quote user="Making Plans"]Probably the most overated player we have on the books. Flatters to deceive more often than not, has one good game in every 5 and has a history of availability issues.Surplus to requirements when we have Snodgrass, Redmond, Murphy, Gutierrez & Bennett - what do we need 6 wingers for?If they offer £5m then bite their hands off.[/quote]Each to their own but I doubt you will have much company with that remark.Even at £5 million I would not be interested in this window.

I see Pilks as a notorious under-performer. He''s capable of so much more than he ever delivers. Even so, he''s surely worth way more than £3m as a squad player in most Prem squads?

I''d play him in behind the strikers personally...

[quote user="ricardo"]Each to their own but I doubt you will have much company with that remark.[/quote]Well there''s at least one likeminded soul immediately below your post Ricardo.Anyway, why do we need 6 wingers?Gutierrez has only just arrived so he won''t go and I wonder why was he brought in when we already had enough wingers.Bennett is injured so he''ll stay, at least in the medium term if he can prove himself again when fit.Murphy & Redmond both have great potential for the future so they''re unlikely to leave.That leaves either Snodgrass to Celtic or Pilkington to Swansea for a swift exit.

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="ricardo"]Each to their own but I doubt you will have much company with that remark.[/quote]Well there''s at least one likeminded soul immediately below your post Ricardo.Anyway, why do we need 6 wingers?Gutierrez has only just arrived so he won''t go and I wonder why was he brought in when we already had enough wingers.Bennett is injured so he''ll stay, at least in the medium term if he can prove himself again when fit.Murphy & Redmond both have great potential for the future so they''re unlikely to leave.That leaves either Snodgrass to Celtic or Pilkington to Swansea for a swift exit.[/quote]There''s always one.[;)]I wouldn''t see Murphy as a starter yet. Redmond is still raw at this level also. Experience is going to be needed in the battles to come. For me Pilks and Snoddy are the obvious first choices and neither would be leaving whatever the bid in this window. I see Gutierrez as more of a wide midfield than an out and out winger.Lose Pilks or Snoddy and I think we would be much weaker.

I just can''t see what he would gain by going there? He plays here when he''s fit, it''s not hampering his international career being at city, it''s not as if they''re a "bigger" club, so it would just be personal terms ie money would it not?

"Lose Pilks or Snoddy and I think we would be much weaker."

Snodgrass has already gone ..................... to Celtic for £4.5m, so it would seemYou do need to keep up with the media old chap, instead of relying upon official club announcementsafter all, what do the club know ?

No way that he''s moving - at least not this window. He has something none of our other wingers have - the ability to score goals.

[quote user="Surfer"]No way that he''s moving - at least not this window. He has something none of our other wingers have - the ability to score goals.[/quote]I''m inclined to agree. Pilks is staying.

You''re not serious are you? So, because Murphy and Redmond have potential we are looking to ship out one of Snodgrass or Pilks?

Have I woken up in some sort of parallel universe where our fans are utter morons? Or do you genuinely believe that Murphy and Redmond were brought in as first choice wingers and therefore there is no place in the squad for Pilks/Snoddy? You must be taking the piss, and I''ve obviously fallen for it.

[quote user="I.S."]

Have I woken up in some sort of parallel universe where our fans are utter morons? [/quote]Regrettably, that''s just the normal universe. The parallel version is a delightful place full of intelligent discussions about football and cakes that won''t make you fat.

[quote user="I.S."]Have I woken up in some sort of parallel universe where our fans are utter morons? Or do you genuinely believe that Murphy and Redmond were brought in as first choice wingers and therefore there is no place in the squad for Pilks/Snoddy? You must be taking the piss, and I''ve obviously fallen for it.[/quote]

Agreed, you must realise I.S. that this is the normal NCFC universe...

Look, there''s lots going on at the moment. We''re only 12th in the premier league, it''s been raised that possibly the manager isn''t doing his job correctly, and yes oddly this continues regardless of our league position, but let''s have him gone anyway... it can only have a good impact? can''t it?... Apparently even now if we win a game, it''s not the "right win", a Norwich fan simply can''t cope with the vicissitudes of football.

And now the transfer window is a bit dull people are throwing about the idea of us getting a bit of money for players, regardless of whether this is a fair representation of their worth. If they''ve not been playing much, let''s get them gone too and buy someone else who definitely won''t get injured ever, and they will almost definitely be much better too.

People can only believe what they''re told rather than look at the facts and make an informed decision themselves. It''s all a bit much to take in otherwise?

So by some bizarre logic existing on this board we only get offers from prem clubs for our over rated rubbish players while the good ones get overlooked????

Proven pacy two footed prem player with strong goal and assist ratio better than any midfielder at club appearing in c75% of prem games since joining despite being an inconsistent sick note and we should give him away. The common sense of norwich fans continues its downward spiral of ever decreasing circles.

Give me strength

"common sense of norwich fans continues its downward spiral of ever decreasing circles"

by over exciting themselves over baseless internet rumour

ps has Snodgrass joined Celtic yet ?

On the subject of excitement over unproven rumours, did you ever find out whether the players actually "mutinied" last season City1st?

Have to say a fit Pilks is a starter every time. For me, if we ''had'' to lose one of him or Wes this Window it would certainly be the latter that we''d miss the least.

Pilkington is twice the player Snodgrass is, and some on here reckon he''s worth 10m! Pilkington is arguably our best player. Cant believe how many are willing to bin him off for peanuts just because he gets injured sometimes!