Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Swansea make bid for Pilkington

Can''t honestly believe some of the replies in this thread.Can anyone who thinks Pilks is worth selling at £3m or £4m find me someone as good for that money?  Bet you can''t.

£3m is peanuts in Premier League terms.Having Pilkington fit again now gives Hughton options he hasn''t had for a long time.   The club aren''t going to shoot themselves in the foot in January just for a few quid.Even if he only makes one assist and scores one goal, then it equals the contribution of Snodgrass so far in the Premier League this season.

lincoln canary wrote the following post at 24/01/2014 5:20 PM:

Vanwink wrote:
jas the barclay king wrote the following post at 24/01/2014 5:10 PM:

1 game played and then 10 out! Cashing in might seem prudent.

Reluctantly I think you may be right

Prudence can also see us relegated. We''d be insane to sella Pilkington.

We would need a lot more than £3 million and. A decent replacement lined up, but I wouldn''t rule it out! I don''t think he has looked fit since his opp in the summer!

It makes you laugh how other clubs value our players. It almost as if they assume we are newly promoted. Most of players have 3 years premier league experience.

Players like Wes, Ruddy, Pilkington and Snoddy have been all been linked away. All for insulting prices.

[quote user="Paul"]£3m apparently. For a player that has more time on the physio table than on the pitch. Hold out for £4m and cash in I reckon[/quote]Errr... Pilks has had his injury troubles this season, but in the previous two seasons he appeared in 60 premier league matches!I would expect a valuation of £6-7 million+.

[quote user="snake eyes"]

Pilks has made 55 appearances out of 98 available league games.

[/quote]That''s not true is it.  Anthony Pilkington has made 55 starts and 15 sub appearances, so played in 70 of 98 games.  Alongside that he has 14 goals, an excellent record, the best for a midfielder at the club by some margin.

i''d say Neal Reynold''s should have an input on this, if there''s a fundemental,recurring fitness problem, we may aswell let him go and occupy someone elses treatment table. Those crying out for a replacement maybe dissappointed though, i suspect he''s already here in Gutierrez with Redmond as understudy

We are still allowed a squad of 25 right? So if we have a very good player like Pilks who is only available in 2/3 of matches is that really an issue if when fit he does the business?

You wouldn''t sell an always fit Pilkington for £3M, but realistically due to his injury prone status it does influence his value, so for me £4M and a sell on clause and/or extras.

More of a worry is that the money would be used to buy a player that lacks flair - pure Hughton territory.

We''re crying out for pilkington in our team.

Despite his injuries he contributes with quality runs, crosses and more importantly goals!

Was being touted with the likes of Liverpool last year. 3 million will never be accepted.

Class player that''s been forgotten about

Pilkington is too important to let go.
Our best performances this season have come with him and Tettey playing in that 4-1-4-1/4-3-3 formation. I would be shocked if Hughton doesn''t want to implement that system again and Pilkington, as the wide player most likely to score goals, is vital in such a system.

Read comments from Hughton on this and think we can all sleep easy knowing we won''t be selling any first team players and Pilks is a Key player, Thankfully we no longer have Doomcaster here.

Oh come on Snake, Michu was the exception not the norm. The fact you can''t name many realistic targets off hand speaks volumes.

I genuinely cannot understand anyone wanting to let a proven quality, and relatively young player go to an equivalent team for what is essentially peanuts. If Pilks was a fringe player and we had plenty of better wingers already in the squad then fair enough.

But we don''t, so to let him go before taking a punt on an unkown would be utter madness IMO.

Sell Pilks and then be ambitious and use the money and another 4 or 5 million and go get Thomas Ince, he would be a great signing and worth every penny, even Hughton can get something out of Ince

"Was being touted with the likes of Liverpool last year."by who ?sky, perhaps ?

Maybe, using the cracking logic going on here, we should:

1. Sell Pilks for less than he''s worth as he''s injured

2. and then put some of the money we get towards maybe getting in Walcott or Wilshire off Arsenal for cheap because they''re always injured too? or Rooney even?

It all makes sense... I know we''re not taking a punt on someone young who may or may not be as good as Pilks, but if we''re willing to sell for a knock down price maybe some of the other teams are to?

Besides, I think we''ve got far too much experience in the side and could do with offloading that and trying to bring in some more young untamed talent to bolster the unpredictable displays of this season.

I''m glad some people only support the club.

I love that we have fans who have said on here for years about how much of a prudent, unambitious board our lot are.

Yet when we have a two-footed goal scoring premier league proven winger on our hands, and a similar size club comes sniffing, everyone shouts from the rooftops "THREE MILL! SNAP THEIR HANDS OFF!! HE''S INJURED SOMETIMES!!"

It''s absolutely bizarre.

My view would be that despite him being injured most of this season, when he does play he scores goals, and on his day is the best winger we have.

We hardly need the money, we can afford his wages even if he only played 1/2 a season each year (even though he plays much more than that).

People yelling sell Hoolahan, sell Pilkington really can''t complain about Hughton being unambitious with his tactics when you lot are so caught up in little Norwich mentality yourselves.

I say offer him a new contract, he''s one of our best players.(note lack of ''when he''s fit'' proviso)...norwich MP has a v good point re Wilshere & Walcott injuries...they''re still valued by their club.

Rather than statements to the Press like''we dont want so sell'', make a statement to our player ..we want you to stay.