Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Swansea make bid for Pilkington

£3m apparently. For a player that has more time on the physio table than on the pitch. Hold out for £4m and cash in I reckon

ncfcstar wrote the following post at 2014-01-24 8:46 PM:

£3m is pittance.

He is worth at least £7m, if not more.

Why?

When fit Pilks is quality. There''s no way we should consider selling our better players to a relegation rival unless there''s enough money offered to bring in a better replacement.

Only if he stays fit, and that is a big if.

4-5 mil and reinvest.  I believe there is better out there for the money.

Snake

[quote user="City 2nd"]ncfcstar wrote the following post at 2014-01-24 8:46 PM:

£3m is pittance.

Why?[/quote]

Because he scores goals, is 2 footed, can cross, take a free kick, help defensively and offensively when he plays

3 million no way, he''s our best player on his day and is as good with either foot. We should be building not dismantling. If we sell we need someone lined up and doubt that''s the case.

[quote user="mrs miggins"][quote user="City 2nd"]ncfcstar wrote the following post at 2014-01-24 8:46 PM:

£3m is pittance.

Why?[/quote]

Because he scores goals, is 2 footed, can cross, take a free kick, help defensively and offensively when he plays[/quote]Exactly Mrs Miggins.He''s also young, under a long contract, and just broken into the Irish national team.  Yes he might be a bit injury prone, but when he''s in the side he''s a key player.

Yep, he''s had a couple of bad injuries in his career, but he''s also played 66 games for us over 2.5 seasons, and has now returned from injury. Not exactly the perennial sicknote some would have you believe.

mrs miggins wrote the following post at 2014-01-24 8:50 PM:

City 2nd wrote:
ncfcstar wrote the following post at 2014-01-24 8:46 PM:

£3m is pittance.

Why?

Because he scores goals, is 2 footed, can cross, take a free kick, help defensively and offensively when he plays

And keeps the physios in a job 24/7 - sick note! 14 goals in 66 appearances since JULY 2011. Your last quote says it all - ''when he plays''!

3 million for one of our best attacking players, two footed and scores goals. Was the reported fee for him 3 million (including add ons)?

If true it''s almost as derisive as the Wes bid. He is worth at least double.

What more do you want City 2nd, for a bottom half PL side to have a midfielder scoring 14 goals is a great return.  I can only think you have an irrational dislike for Pilks.

Yes his fitness is an issue. So it''s up to hughton. Technically, we probably won''t get a better winger for anywhere near that price atm, to me its worth paying his wages for that quality

January market, a winger that is proven at this level, but has a few niggling injuries now and then.

Considering that without the injuries we''d be looking at £10m, £7.5m sounds fair.

Pilkington is one of our best wingers, and again it is a club in and around us in the table bidding for one of our players. we have the right to either flat our deny them or to hold out for ludicrous amounts.

I don''t know how many times I have to say it, but if Pilks goes to them for 3m, and helps them get 2 or 3 spots above us in the table, how much prize money would we lose out on? how much was that 3m in the end, really?

There''s no way we''ll consider selling Pilkington!

This type of bid is just made to keep the fans thinking something is happening. Swansea have some issues at the moment and this is Mr Laudrup being a bit naughty and trying to unsettle a rival whilst also pretending that he is on the case.

It will be laughed at.

I say sell, yes fully fit a great assest!! coming to the end of his contract, so i woulld say £3million plus aint a bad deal, as Guiterez is a good replacement!!

ncfcstar wrote the following post at 2014-01-24 8:59 PM:

What more do you want City 2nd, for a bottom half PL side to have a midfielder scoring 14 goals is a great return. I can only think you have an irrational dislike for Pilks.

FOURTEEN goals since July 2011 - hardly prolific in approaching three years! I have no dislike of a Pilkington at all, but I would suggest the offer is based on exactly his returns and number of appearances over those near three years.

[quote user="Paul"]There is the issue Miggs. "When he Plays"[/quote]Exactly.I know he''s nowhere near as bad as James Vaughan was when it comes to spending time in the treatment room but his playing time is patchy at best. Coupled with that he often seems invisible when he is on the field, particularly away from home. When he''s on song there''s no doubt he''s great but that hasn''t happened too often since he''s been at Carrow Rd.If an offer of say £4m comes in I''d say take it.

70 PL appearances in 2 and half seasons is pretty good considering we bought him injured. He actually hasn''t been out that much since. Plus a 1 in 5 goal ratio for a winger for a club of our level is a quality player.

Howson has made only 57 appearances in 2 seasons so very similar and is currently injured, should we sell him to? What about Tettey and Turner?

I''m actually surprised how many PL games Pilks has played.

jas the barclay king wrote the following post at 24/01/2014 5:10 PM:

1 game played and then 10 out! Cashing in might seem prudent.

Reluctantly I think you may be right

I said I believe there is and why does it matter whether they are proven in the prem?

Michu wasn''t to name one and look what he did in his first season and cost only 2mil. Same as Pilks.

Pilks has made 55 appearances out of 98 available league games.

Whilst on form he is undoubtedly a good player, his form is very inconsistent, and his injury record is troubling.

Whilst 3 mil is too low, 4 - 5 is a good return for a player who is a risk that you may only get half a season from.  Is he that good that you could afford to only have his services for half a season.  Not only that, but for those games he does play, is he that good in them?

I have seen quite a few games where he has been anonymous and has looked disinterested. Others he has looked good and has produced a bit more than we usually do.  However to me this is not enough and I am sure we would soon look to upgrade anyway.

Therefore I would seriously consider the money and use it towards an upgrade.

So from you point you are saying that he is brilliant and irreplaceable?

For me it would be harder to replace a player like Wes for the money than Pilks. Do I want him to go? Only if a better replacement can be found.  The same as with Wes.

" 4-5 mil and reinvest. I believe there is better out there for the money."

Then why don''t Swansea go buy that player instead?