Sign in to follow this  
SeattleCanary

Transfers between rivals

Watching the Villa Brom game I saw Ridgewell, and it dawned on me that he had played for 3 of the 4 black country clubs. He came originally from Wet Sham to Villa back in 2001, but then straight transferred to Birmingham, and then to WBA from there.
I know we have had Alan Lee in recent years, but I really couldn''t imagine us signing an Ipswich player directly from them. Maybe like Rhodes, Wickham as an example of players that have at least been at other clubs in between. But I wondered if some teams derbies and local rivalries are just stronger than others? Surely the way Ridgewell has moved between bitter rivals, that wouldn''t happen with Norwich and Ipswich either way, would it?

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]In my time we signed Trevor Putney from the filth, Judas Marshall went the other way and Chippy nearly did.[/quote]
I totally overlooked Marshall. Maybe I try and blank that one out...
I just thought it was especially interesting, as it was just one rival to another - it was 3! Very unlikely scenario!

The Trevor Putney deal was a player exchange, John Deehan went the other way.

We also had Clive Woods from them right at the end of his career.

I can vaguely recall as a kid a winger in the 70''s we got from them as well but cant recall his name