Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Hughton - obvious the board won't let him spend their money.

[quote user="CANARYKING"]No proper signings, wonder why ?[/quote]

Difficult to prove. January means inflated prices - maybe the board don''t want to be ripped off, and who will actually sell good players that they need? At this stage of the season most clubs want their unused talent to go out on loan and get match fit and/put them in the shop window for the summer. The only ones likely to be available are the likes of Ince who has asked to leave.

Of course you may be right, maybe they don''t want to give hughton money, but im just pointing out its not necessarily true. But I think as they''re entrusting him with the 2nd half of the season then they would and should back him financially, after all he''s got a very good record with signing players so would be surprised if mcnally refused to sanction the signing of a quality player.

Just remember - we don''t hear about half of the enquiries the club makes, as things only get leaked some of the time. So just because we''ve only loaned a CB doesn''t mean we''re not trying to sign forwards or midfielders.

Of course

McNally has always said he hates the January window, expect no further action and spend the money better in the summer if we stay up.

Clearly they think we can go on what we''ve got

[quote user="MancCanary"][quote user="CANARYKING"]No proper signings, wonder why ?[/quote]

Difficult to prove. January means inflated prices - maybe the board don''t want to be ripped off, and who will actually sell good players that they need? At this stage of the season most clubs want their unused talent to go out on loan and get match fit and/put them in the shop window for the summer. The only ones likely to be available are the likes of Ince who has asked to leave.

Of course you may be right, maybe they don''t want to give hughton money, but im just pointing out its not necessarily true. But I think as they''re entrusting him with the 2nd half of the season then they would and should back him financially, after all he''s got a very good record with signing players so would be surprised if mcnally refused to sanction the signing of a quality player.

Just remember - we don''t hear about half of the enquiries the club makes, as things only get leaked some of the time. So just because we''ve only loaned a CB doesn''t mean we''re not trying to sign forwards or midfielders.

Of course[/quote]It doesn''t even mean we are not trying to sign another centre-back. As pointed out before, it is a myth that we are not willing (however reluctantly) to spend money in January. We paid several million for Ryan Bennett and Howson in January 2012, and tried to buy Hooper for £7m this time last year.That said, if Yobo is the only centre-back we get in, and if the board has told Hughton he can''t have much money, then that would be a worrying sign.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"] As pointed out before, it is a myth that we are not willing (however reluctantly) to spend money in January. We paid several million for Ryan Bennett and Howson in January 2012, and tried to buy Hooper for £7m this time last year.[/quote]
^^This. Im fed up of people suggesting the board have been unwilling to deal in January. The last 2 seasons this has not been the case. This is the quietest we''ve been in the last 3 Januarys. So I feel there is cause for some concern, especially when we have had the highest number of players linked to exits in recent times, with little prospect of potential ins. 

All managers and Boards hate the January window but it exists and has to be planned for and the decisions made at this time of year shapes seasons. If the Board do not trust him then he should not have been kept. This current crop of available players given injuries and dissatisfaction may just limp over the line but it will be more down to good fortune than good planning and management and with such significance of failure should it be so. Sunderland had some good players but the 3 newly promoted clubs should always have been well behind us given our financial stability and 3rd season in the EPL. Fiddled whilst Rome burns springs to mind

[quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"] As pointed out before, it is a myth that we are not willing (however reluctantly) to spend money in January. We paid several million for Ryan Bennett and Howson in January 2012, and tried to buy Hooper for £7m this time last year.[/quote]
^^This. Im fed up of people suggesting the board have been unwilling to deal in January. The last 2 seasons this has not been the case. This is the quietest we''ve been in the last 3 Januarys. So I feel there is cause for some concern, especially when we have had the highest number of players linked to exits in recent times, with little prospect of potential ins. 
[/quote]If you add up the £7m we tried very hard to spend on Hooper, the £1.5m or more we paid for Becchio and whatever the Kamara loan deal cost then this time last year we were prepared to shell out nearly £10m.

Agreed Purple. Whats even more alarming is that this is our lowest scoring season out of the 3 Prem seasons, and we as fans aren''t even expecting signings for the sake out it. We lack a creative nature to our team, and have little attacking threat full stop in the final 3rd. This January we need players to fill obvious holes in the team more than the last 2 years. If the club fail to at least attempt to resolve this issue tomorrow, we could fall by the way side in the coming weeks.

His has regularly expressed his aversion to trying to do business during January, so it could be that he has merely added two temporary players as insurance. The "big" signings, if any and if he is still in a job, will come from May onwards.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"] As pointed out before, it is a myth that we are not willing (however reluctantly) to spend money in January. We paid several million for Ryan Bennett and Howson in January 2012, and tried to buy Hooper for £7m this time last year.

[/quote]

[/quote]

If you add up the £7m we tried very hard to spend on Hooper, the £1.5m or more we paid for Becchio and whatever the Kamara loan deal cost then this time last year we were prepared to shell out nearly £10m.

[/quote]

I thought we only paid 200K plus Morrison for Becchio?

When you consider that we supposidly wanted to spend 8.5 million on some defender as the begining of this transfer window it would either imply that it was pure press speculation or we have the money but only for the right targets.

We''ve already got two players in Seattle. So how does that make it the quitest january?

Just because we are not throwing around cash like a Labour chancellor doesn''t mean we''re not doing or attempting to do business.

[quote user="Indy"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"] As pointed out before, it is a myth that we are not willing (however reluctantly) to spend money in January. We paid several million for Ryan Bennett and Howson in January 2012, and tried to buy Hooper for £7m this time last year.[/quote]

[/quote]If you add up the £7m we tried very hard to spend on Hooper, the £1.5m or more we paid for Becchio and whatever the Kamara loan deal cost then this time last year we were prepared to shell out nearly £10m.[/quote]

I thought we only paid 200K plus Morrison for Becchio?

[/quote]I saw various estimates for how much cash we paid Leeds above what we paid them in terms of the value of Morison. But by depleting our squad of a player worth at least £1m you have to count that as part of the cost of Becchio.

Pointless attempt at a board blame.

Several articles said we have money to spend. What''s the point in going mad buying over inflated prices players?

Yobo is a good signing IMO we only need cover for turner, well look for young quality in summer. Saw a stat that if u minus the top 4 teams results, from the remaining 15 clubs we have one of the top defences from ''the rest''. Floodgates opened to man city and Liverpool, but apart from that 8 clean sheets isn''t bad going.

I think well still sign a forward/attacking player today.

Fair point Purple.

But what we were going to spend to stay up and what we did were poles appart.

The same this year, we all thought we had 10 million plus to spend when in reality we might end up with just these 2 loan deals. Will this be enough given the players those around have or might be signing is questionable.

We will all know more a 6pm tomorrow, we will see who we have in our 25 man squad, we''ll know the result against one of our relegation rivals and I''m sure there will be a lot of threads on here too!

[quote user="Indy"]

Fair point Purple.

But what we were going to spend to stay up and what we did were poles appart.

The same this year, we all thought we had 10 million plus to spend when in reality we might end up with just these 2 loan deals. Will this be enough given the players those around have or might be signing is questionable.

We will all know more a 6pm tomorrow, we will see who we have in our 25 man squad, we''ll know the result against one of our relegation rivals and I''m sure there will be a lot of threads on here too!

[/quote]Indy, I am not sure we all thought we had £10m to spend! Frankly, I had no idea what was available. It would be even more fascinating than  usual to be a fly on the boardroom wall at the moment, in terms of  what the directors feel about Hughton and survival etc, and whether - if we don''t spend big  today - that means they believe we are effectively safe or conversely they don''t trust Hughton with their money. Or both!

We have clear issues between mid and attack.

Other teams are going for it with what seem to be good logical signings.

I personally would not want to risk the high xx millions over x million to make sure we are a better side ongoing.

A new signing shows others you mean business and a creative player will give our strikers a lift even before he kicks a ball. It will also allow us to move Wes on as I don''t believe in keeping unhappy staff, especially ones who don''t play much and you get paid for them going.

Better to do all this now and regret spending the money than loosing the money later on via relegation.

If Fulham can get someone in we can also, there is a clear role with game time going as our number 10 in a world cup year in the premier league. You will be on TV and you will get to show your international manager what you can do against the top teams in the country.

Norwich City are/is a club which turns over 70 million the same size as Fulham in a better position with a settled management team for the time being. It is also a nice place and the fans need a hero.

Still a good few hours left though and I expect a Holtby/Quag type player in or maybe even a Danny Ings from a lower division to bring some form to the side.

[quote user="Fromage Frais"] Still a good few hours left though and I expect a Holtby/Quag type player in or maybe even a Danny Ings from a lower division to bring some form to the side.[/quote]
I fear you may be disappointed. As much as I''d love Holtby or Sigurrdson its very unlikely we will splash the necessary mula. Even Joe Ledley would add something.

It has been an interesting few weeks off the field rather than on it.

Hughton has stated on a few occasions that he wanted to improve and strengthen the squad in this window.

As has been said, the two signings so far have been underwhelming and just having loans till end of season really doesn''t give any impression other than Hughton is clutching at straws, he won''t be here next season.

It brings to mind McNally''s interview with Radio Norfolk recently when he spoke about not wanting to get relegated. He said Hughtons brief was to stay out of the bottom three

Surely he should have said building for the future etc, deflecting attention from the woes of this season and looking forward, but he didn''t.

I didn''t pick up on it at the time but it makes sense now, McNasty didn''t speak about a future with Hughton, just mentioned not getting relegated.

I could be wrong but if our deals this window don''t get any more exciting, then i will stick with my opinion.

[quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="Fromage Frais"] Still a good few hours left though and I expect a Holtby/Quag type player in or maybe even a Danny Ings from a lower division to bring some form to the side.[/quote]
I fear you may be disappointed. As much as I''d love Holtby or Sigurrdson its very unlikely we will splash the necessary mula. Even Joe Ledley would add something.
[/quote]

We have the money, to not compete with your contemporaries is complacency when your only 4 points above them.

Just seems illogical to me suitable players are knocking about today.