Sign in to follow this  
Indy

Transfer Deadline Day!

So who in you opinion has signed or been linked with players you would have liked here?

Ince to Palace, good signing.

Zaha to Cardiff.

Holtby to Fulham & Tunnycliff would be a good signing too, making them a lot stronger for the run in!

West ham, not sure, they have singed a lot of players but don''t know much about them!

Sunderland, Birdcutt and Scocco look like solid signings and recalling a scoring Wickham could just keep them up?

What do we have a geriatric defender and an Argentine slow paces winger who is solid, not really in the same league as those around us in my opinion, not sure today will be a great day, but you never know! 

It''s easy to overvalue other teams'' signings against our own. If Palace had signed Guttierez there would be people on here saying they''d signed an experienced pro who''d give them some stability and nous.

One of the main problems we''ve had this season has been integrating so many new players. I''d rather we spent on injury support like Yobo and concentrated on getting more from playing Hooper and Ricky

By definition, most January signings are players who''ve failed at their clubs and are surplus or players stepping up to try and bolster teams with difficulties. Always risky and far too early to assess. How good are Ince and Zaha really? Why have they chosen the clubs that they have?

None of it''s clear yet. The only gem we''ve missed is Holtby and he decided to stay in London. Which shows another issue. We have no idea what agendas these players have and why they chose where they do. Perhaps we had a chance and perhaps we had none possibly for non football reasons.

We all like the excitement of transfers but all that glisters etc.

Fair points, but Ince & Zaha for starters are players who have pace and will create chances, something we are failing to do is create enough chances and take those which we do!

Gutierrez is a solid signing and one which we can''t argue with, but do I want him starting ahead of Redmond or Pilkington, not for me, we need goals and to pick up points in the next 12 games.

The big problem with me is that, unlike at other transfer deadline days, I don''t know what position I would prefer us to get in.I honestly believe we have some very good players at the club and individually I believe most have proved their worth.I suppose I would love to see a quick, tricky winger who could provide some good crosses for two expensive forwards who have been starved of service. The problem being that if we signed that winger I am pretty sure he would be used on the ''wrong'' side and the service would still be poor. RvW and Hooper must be envious of teams like Newcastle who provide quick incisive attacks with balls going into the box from wide positions. (How many do you think they would have scored on Tuesday with that service?)Unfortunately I now have to conclude, once again, that the problem is no longer the quality of the players we have that need improving but the quality of the coaches and manager ............. and nothing is going to be done to change that!

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]
 By definition, most January signings are players who''ve failed at their clubs and are surplus or players stepping up to try and bolster teams with difficulties. Always risky and far too early to assess. How good are Ince and Zaha really? Why have they chosen the clubs that they have?  [/quote]
Not always. In the case of Ince he has 6 months left on his contract and is on his way up the league ladder. Ledley is in a similar situation, contract up in the summer. Zaha needs guaranteed game time, and has found a club that can give him that and Prem experience. 
[quote user="CambridgeCanary"] The only gem we''ve missed is Holtby and he decided to stay in London. [/quote]
I''d disagree, as you said there are no guarantees. And this guy isn''t someone who has been playing regularly and is on form. I know I''d rather a player like Ince or Ledley to come in who would be up to speed. We desperately need a fresh injection of first team personnel.

After Gutierrez and Yobo, I don''t expect any more signings. They represent bolstering what we have already, in terms of quality.

I think that we needed a top quality central midfielder, which is where we are short, but I accept that it would be very expensive to sign one in the January window.

So we have added a little security against injury, but no change in quality.

Colney alive with cameras, could be a going rather than a coming though??

I can''t see it as we are very quite on the transfer front, not even being linked to anyone!

At least last year we were in for Hooper till the end!

While I''d love to see a name player coming here, preferably a good "Number 10", I really don''t think that the squad should require it. We have pace and energy and proven goalscorers, experienced internationals etc. From what I have seen the problem is not the players we have but the set up, low morale, apparent over-coaching, rigid formation and tactical inflexibility. So, lets assume the team is set up to play the way it is at the moment, exactly what type of affordable player would make any meaningful difference?

Will be interesting to see if anyone comes in.

every year Sky send cameras to the ground/Colney and every year we sign no one on dead line day!!!! surely they''d have learnt by now?

I''m concerned at the quality those around us seem to be signing and we have just loaned back up players. I can see us merely limping through the rest of the season and I think relegation is just as likely as staying up.

A very underwelming window and PL future is on a knife edge. Though I choose to believe we will stay up! It would be immense if RVW scores v Cardiff and it will help my optimism no end. Come on city surprise and inspire us!!

Not concerned about Palace''s rumoured signings. Ince is no better than Redmond. We were not all exactly thrilled at the prospect of signing Dann and i''ve always thought Ledley to be one of the most overrated players going.

Fulham on the other hand with the Holtby signing could have pulled off a real coup.

Thing is that had we brought in a new manager i don;t really feel we would have needed to sign many players as i feel the squad is fundamentally good enough and a new management team could get Wes, Ricky and various others going again.

The problem is I think with Wes now out of the picture and with the handicap we have of our sh*t management team we do need to pull a big signing out of the bag to give everyone a lift and add that spark to the team. As it is we are facing the double whammy of no new manager and no new attacking players.

as i work at the airport, as a pilot i can confirm there is no private jets coming or going at the moment, only the plane thats chartered to take the team down to cardiff later today is coming in

Agreed Jim Smith. I feel greedy wishing for more qaulity as when I look at the squad there is plenty, but it just seems that we need the lift that a good new signing brings! Let''s hope the performance at Cardiff banishes any worries.

Jh1990 wrote the following post at 31/01/2014 1:04 PM:

"as i work at the airport, as a pilot i can confirm there is no private jets coming or going at the moment, only the plane thats chartered to take the team down to cardiff later today is coming in"

The most illiterate Pilot in the world then?

Considering i''m on my stupid Iphone and in a rush then yes i am the most illiterate Pilot in the world, Unfortunately pilots aren''t perfect

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Will be interesting to see if anyone comes in.

every year Sky send cameras to the ground/Colney and every year we sign no one on dead line day!!!! surely they''d have learnt by now?

[/quote]Get Wes to tell them to f**k off.....[A]