Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Looking back is easy?

Newcastle, sitting nicely in the table, no real pressure on them - Pardue admitted it and said they would come to CR with an attitude of complete freedom - and they did..  They are a team with some class players and some skill, with a squad way above what we can afford. So they come to CR where we are in a battle to stay in the league and they perform with freedom, confidence and the skill befitting their clubs finances and league position.

Us on the other hand, have injuries to key players, are in the lower half of the table and in a tense battle to stay clear of the bottom three. The very opposite to Newcastle. We showed guts and tenacity keeping them at bay in the first half, improved in the second and could have sneaked it in the end.

We were poor - but maybe Newcastle had something to do with that - or am I just being too understanding?  

Agree with what you''re saying but there is absolutely no excuses for that first half performance. Newcastle have some really good players though.

You sound like Hughton mark 2!

Get a grip LDC, how many times this season is the same performance against teams no better than us, Fulham, West Ham unitl they gifted us a goal need I go on?

It was boring, we had no effort, no idea how to play the basic game, you can''t say what you have as an explanation for our teams perfromance in that first half!

Yep keep making excuses and things will be fine. It''s boring to watch, we can''t keep the ball, Ruddy keeps hoofing the ball to two strikers who don''t hold the ball up, we have two wingers who can''t cross on a consistant bases and we don''t have a midfield (Excluding Howson) who get froward to support the front men.

We sit deep and invite pressure, it''s basic football.

[quote user="Indy"]

You sound like Hughton mark 2!

Get a grip LDC, how many times this season is the same performance against teams no better than us, Fulham, West Ham unitl they gifted us a goal need I go on?

It was boring, we had no effort, no idea how to play the basic game, you can''t say what you have as an explanation for our teams perfromance in that first half!

Yep keep making excuses and things will be fine. It''s boring to watch, we can''t keep the ball, Ruddy keeps hoofing the ball to two strikers who don''t hold the ball up, we have two wingers who can''t cross on a consistant bases and we don''t have a midfield (Excluding Howson) who get froward to support the front men.

We sit deep and invite pressure, it''s basic football.

[/quote]Agree with this 100%.I''m afraid LDC just cannot or will not see that he''s made too many excuses for too long. That 1st half was shocking and although we did improve in the last 45 mins if we''d nicked it with that late Snodgrass header it would''ve been daylight robbery. If Tuesday''s showing had been a ''one-off '' fair enough but it happens far too regularly under this manager.If we reproduce that 1st half display for our next home game then it''ll be a miracle if the visitors aren''t at least four goals to the good by the interval, with or without Aguero.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Indy"]You sound like Hughton mark 2!

Get a grip LDC, how many times this season is the same performance against teams no better than us, Fulham, West Ham unitl they gifted us a goal need I go on? It was boring, we had no effort, no idea how to play the basic game, you can''t say what you have as an explanation for our teams perfromance in that first half!  Yep keep making excuses and things will be fine. It''s boring to watch, we can''t keep the ball, Ruddy keeps hoofing the ball to two strikers who don''t hold the ball up, we have two wingers who can''t cross on a consistant bases and we don''t have a midfield (Excluding Howson) who get froward to support the front men.  We sit deep and invite pressure, it''s basic football.[/quote]

Agree with this 100%.I''m afraid LDC just cannot or will not see that he''s made too many excuses for too long. That 1st half was shocking and although we did improve in the last 45 mins if we''d nicked it with that late Snodgrass header it would''ve been daylight robbery. If Tuesday''s showing had been a ''one-off '' fair enough but it happens far too regularly under this manager. If we reproduce that 1st half display for our next home game then it''ll be a miracle if the visitors aren''t at least four goals to the good by the interval, with or without Aguero.[/quote]

Strange, I though I said we were poor, but kept them out and were resilient enough to make a better effort in the second half.  But Newcastle had the advantage of playing with no pressure.  No happy clappy stuff there at all.    Not intentionally anyway, just trying to say how it is.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]. If Tuesday''s showing had been a ''one-off '' fair enough but it happens far too regularly under this manager.

[/quote]This seems to me the key point in this debate. Everyone is prepared to accept the occasional ''bad day at the office''. Because from time to time it is offset by days ''when everything goes right''.But, under Hughton, these are not just one -offs. It has become the norm. And, if we are honest about it, there has been no equivalent of the Man U, Arsenal, West Brom moments from last season, has there?He is living on borrowed time  now.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]He is living on borrowed time  now.[/quote]Aren''t we all?[;)]

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="......and Smith must score."]. If Tuesday''s showing had been a ''one-off '' fair enough but it happens far too regularly under this manager.

[/quote]This seems to me the key point in this debate. Everyone is prepared to accept the occasional ''bad day at the office''. Because from time to time it is offset by days ''when everything goes right''.But, under Hughton, these are not just one -offs. It has become the norm. And, if we are honest about it, there has been no equivalent of the Man U, Arsenal, West Brom moments from last season, has there?He is living on borrowed time  now.[/quote]It is this key point that LDC cannot or will not acknowledge.I know people have different slants on things but as Reggie says the football dished up against Newcastle has become the norm. From recollection I can only think of two occasions all season where I felt comfortable while watching that we would win : Stoke away and Cardiff at home ( the Cardiff game we couldn''t have done much more and not score ). Not a great return.We all want to enjoy some exciting football again but under this manager we''re as far away from that now as we were when he first arrived.Fair play to LDC for holding his ground on this but if he thinks us doubters are blinkered he''s equally as guilty too.

And there was I thinking that we finished above Newcastle last season and we spent £27 million on new players compared to their Zero outlay. Maybe it''s just their manager gives them the freedom to play and express themselves and ours restrains our players?

It feels like my club has got cancer, it is painful to watch them at them moment, and when they do win, it''s almost like it is chemotherapy, a temporary reprieve just prolonging the agony.

Let''s hope we find the cure quickly, but I''m not convinced. We really look like a relegation team on Tuesday. Resilience isn''t the right word I use when the opposition hit the woodwork 3 times.

[quote user=TIL 1010]A lecture on last night''s game from Lakey who did not even watch it on a stream !!!![/quote]

Possibly he did because he keeps pi**ing in the wind. [:D]

That aside, Lakey, with great regularity pulls up the excuses for Norwich in terms of we are missing key players but he completely ignores that other teams have similar difficulties, as Newcastle did. Coloccini, Cabaye, Gouffran were all absent as was a key sub for them, Cisse. Sammy Ameobi, who rarely gets a run out ( and had not for the previous several games ) was made to look like a star by us, particularly in the first half. I agree that "looking back is easy" but all the more reason to give balanced input when lining up the excuses.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[quote user=TIL 1010]A lecture on last night''s game from Lakey who did not even watch it on a stream !!!![/quote]

Possibly he did because he keeps pi**ing in the wind. [/quote]Your inability to be anything other than a  puffed up prig continues to shine on here.If you or Til had bothered to take in my post as it was meant - in good faith - they would have seen that there are question marks there - indicating that I was asking whether I was being fair or not, mainly because I didn''t see the game.   I really feel sorry for some of you, such sad people that you think making insulting comments is clever, when all I was after was some reflective post match feedback.

Quite simply LDC, we should not expect to beat Newcastle at home or away. Any fan thinking 3 points was a must from that game is deluded. The thing is we showed absolutely nothing for 75 of the 90 minutes, no movement through midfield, nothing but hopeful wasteful balls into the channels. The last 15 is better but it was a horrendously non-committal home performance. It''s a weird one because the performance was terrible yet the result good. Arguably we were owed one of those, but to continue to ''square peg round hole'' in this particular variation on a 4-4-2 is dreadful. I worry that this point will vindicate this approach for CH. We need to return to 4-1-4-1, stop playing inverted wingers, and open up the midfield with more dynamism in terms of box to box movement from Fer and Tettey. I imagine we won''t ever see those three things at once under Hughton, and that''s why at the end of the season his number will be up.

I''m surprised at you COTW. I thought you''d have just gone notionally with eleven lumped in the middle in a fluidly fashion ;-)

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

Possibly he did because he keeps pi**ing in the wind. [/quote]

Your inability to be anything other than a  puffed up prig continues to shine on here.

If you or Til had bothered to take in my post as it was meant - in good faith - they would have seen that there are question marks there - indicating that I was asking whether I was being fair or not, mainly because I didn''t see the game.   I really feel sorry for some of you, such sad people that you think making insulting comments is clever, when all I was after was some reflective post match feedback.

[/quote]

Oh, come on Lakey, stop your nonsense! You can''t see the humor in the one line response I had to Mr. Tilson. I get that and understand why you can''t.

However, the rest of my input is factual in terms of you continuing to use the excuse of missing players on our part without being objective enough to recognize the opponents we face are going through similar difficulties in terms of missing key players. No reaction from you on the salient point of the message even though you continue to bleat that you are happy to discuss football matters.

If all you were after was some reflective post match feedback "in good faith" why didn''t you simply ask questions on existing threads of people who actually watched the game. No, instead, you start yet another thread so that you can be front and centre and, even then, rather than asking posters to respond to specific questions you may have, you insert comments such as, "Pardew said they would come to CR with an attitude of complete freedom - and they did.. ",  "Us on the other hand, have injuries to key players. The very opposite to Newcastle...",  ""We showed guts and tenacity keeping them at bay in the first half, improved in the second and could have sneaked it in the end",  
"We were poor...", and later, "Strange, I thought I said we were poor, but kept them out and were resilient enough to make a better effort in the second half....just trying to say how it is."

Those comments of yours highlighted in red are not questions. They are you making statements as if you watched what occurred.

By the way, your line of "Your inability to be anything other than a  puffed up prig continues to shine on here", not only is highly ironic, it is laughable. You should stick that statement to your forehead and stand in front of the mirror and repeat it for as long as it takes until it starts to have an effect on your compulsion to comment on things that you know not. 

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user=TIL 1010]A lecture on last night''s game from Lakey who did not even watch it on a stream !!!![/quote]Possibly he did because he keeps pi**ing in the wind. [/quote]Your inability to be anything other than a  puffed up prig continues to shine on here.If you or Til had bothered to take in my post as it was meant - in good faith - they would have seen that there are question marks there - indicating that I was asking whether I was being fair or not, mainly because I didn''t see the game.   I really feel sorry for some of you, such sad people that you think making insulting comments is clever, when all I was after was some reflective post match feedback.[/quote]Oh, come on Lakey, stop your nonsense! You can''t see the humor in the one line response I had to Mr. Tilson. I get that and understand why you can''t.However, the rest of my input is factual in terms of you continuing to use the excuse of missing players on our part without being objective enough to recognize the opponents we face are going through similar difficulties in terms of missing key players. No reaction from you on the salient point of the message even though you continue to bleat that you are happy to discuss football matters.If all you were after was some reflective post match feedback "in good faith" why didn''t you simply ask questions on existing threads of people who actually watched the game. No, instead, you start yet another thread so that you can be front and centre and, even then, rather than asking posters to respond to specific questions you may have, you insert comments such as, "Pardew said they would come to CR with an attitude of complete freedom - and they did.. ",  "Us on the other hand, have injuries to key players. The very opposite to Newcastle...",  ""We showed guts and tenacity keeping them at bay in the first half, improved in the second and could have sneaked it in the end",We were poor...", and later, "Strange, I thought I said we were poor, but kept them out and were resilient enough to make a better effort in the second half....just trying to say how it is." Those comments of yours highlighted in red are not questions. They are you making statements as if you watched what occurred.By the way, your line of "Your inability to be anything other than a  puffed up prig continues to shine on here", not only is highly ironic, it is laughable. You should stick that statement to your forehead and stand in front of the mirror and repeat it for as long as it takes until it starts to have an effect on your compulsion to comment on things that you know not.[/quote]

Humour?   Wow.    If you find  "Possibly he did because he keeps pi**ing in the wind" funny, I feel genuinely sorry for you that you are so easily amused.    When are you going to get it that passing insults is not funny to a lot of people?    Its ugly, adds nothing to any debate and looks vindictive. You might think you are being funny, but it is not.  Even if it was about someone else instead of me I would look at it and think, what kind of person writes that about someone else.  It may be just a message board but there are real people here and the kind of snide and sometimes intensely personal comments that you make are far from funny.  Maybe should maybe spend more time analysing the way you post yourself and how you come across, than wasting time on me and the way I post.

Lakey you were lecturing....fact. lakey you did not watch the game.....fact. How is that insulting ?

I feel a victim moment coming on. [:@]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

Lakey you were lecturing....fact. lakey you did not watch the game.....fact. How is that insulting ?

I feel a victim moment coming on. [:@]

[/quote]I know I didn''t watch the game, I said so in previous threads.  I was trying to get to a post match opinion after the immediate emotion had settled down.  The lecture is in your mind, as you haven''t taken on board the questions I asked, in the heading and at the end of the post.

The  unpleasantness  was from Yankee - I don''t find "p**sing in the wind" a nice turn of phrase to see on here, whether its about me or anyone else.  I may resort to poor language in response to other posters who have been unpleasant toward me, but not in the way Yankee does - and has before.   Unpleasant, offensive and personal (as in when he brought my family into a discussion a while ago) comments seem to him to be ok, but someone of Yankee''s apparent age would do better to be more appeasing in his approach towards posters.  "P**sing in the wind" may seem a funny  thing to say to some, but most would find it quite offensive it was about them.  I found it offensive. End of story.

I won''t expect an apology from him as he doesn''t do apologies -  he does the opposite - he just makes things worse, by adding more unpleasantness. You would think he would know better, but if he wants me to stop going on about him and exposing him every time he does it, he knows what to do.  Either stop the unpleasantness, apologise for the family insults he threw around before, or just have a little respect. Its not that hard to do.  It just takes a little effort and understanding.  The more he goes on being unpleasant the more I will point it out. Its up to him.

LDC "but we kept them out" how by putting a goal that was an inch smaller all the way round???? They didn''t score but it was by bad luck rather than hootun''s "clever" tactics if the ball had of hit the post and gone in they would of won the game by half time mainly due to the fact we can''t score two goals in a game anymore. Yet we used to score for fun but couldn''t defend now we can''t score can''t defend, the players act like they met yesterday morning for the first time.

The way the club has regressed is sad to see really, even when we played man u, arsenal, man city under Lambert it was a matter of will we score as many as them, yet now if a teams two up its game over for us.

[quote user="Troll-op"]LDC "but we kept them out" how by putting a goal that was an inch smaller all the way round???? They didn''t score but it was by bad luck rather than hootun''s "clever" tactics if the ball had of hit the post and gone in they would of won the game by half time mainly due to the fact we can''t score two goals in a game anymore. Yet we used to score for fun but couldn''t defend now we can''t score can''t defend, the players act like they met yesterday morning for the first time.

The way the club has regressed is sad to see really, even when we played man u, arsenal, man city under Lambert it was a matter of will we score as many as them, yet now if a teams two up its game over for us.[/quote]

We did keep them out though, whatever - and didn''t we hit the bar near the end too?   With Lambert we had  games where we were completely outplayed - against Liverpool twice, even though we managed a draw in one of them (as we did against Newcastle), Man City twice, Sunderland away.   The fact that this was Newcastle and not Man City or Liverpool seems to be most people''s problem, yet as I said in the op, Newcastle are well placed in the division, away from the pressure of the lower half, playing with freedom as a result - and they have some very good players.

It may sound like excuses and I am not pretending we were good, I would just like to see some perspective.   It is said teams that play badly and pick up points must be doing something right- and whatever you think of the manager, we are picking up points.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

It may sound like excuses and I am not pretending we were good, I would just like to see some perspective.   It is said teams that play badly and pick up points must be doing something right- and whatever you think of the manager, we are picking up points.

[/quote]

Lakey, when you write words like this, do you look at them and see f they actually make any sense. By your own admission, YOU DID NOT WATCH THE MATCH. Therefore, you are not in a position to pretend whether we were good, bad or indifferent. Ergo, you are not the one to give perspective on the match. I gave you some perspective to provide balance to the excuses manifested ( goodness knows how ) in that brain of yours by saying, "That aside, Lakey, with great regularity pulls up the excuses for Norwich in terms of we are missing key players but he completely ignores that other teams have similar difficulties, as Newcastle did. Coloccini, Cabaye, Gouffran were all absent as was a key sub for them, Cisse. Sammy Ameobi, who rarely gets a run out ( and had not for the previous several games ) was made to look like a star by us, particularly in the first half. I agree that "looking back is easy" but all the more reason to give balanced input when lining up the excuses."

The next time you a) decide not to watch the match and b) still come on here and give us your perspective on the match, at least c) do other posters the courtesy of doing your homework first. There, now be a good boy and try to resist that compulsion to generate a thread every time you have a thought.

LDC - I think that first half performance was easily the worst since we got back to the Prem. Yes, I remember Sunderland away under Lambert and various games against Stoke and the dire home games against Fulham and Newcastle last season, but this was a whole new level of incompetence. We weren''t even close to Championship standard. The performances are getting worse and worse and worse and the luck is going to run out and we are going to find ourselves bottom of the league. You can put a positive spin on it as long as you like and talk about being 12th but we are currently the worst team in the Prem and that will show by the end of the season.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]The next time you a) decide not to watch the match and b) still come on here and give us your perspective on the match, at least c) do other posters the courtesy of doing your homework first. There, now be a good boy and try to resist that compulsion to generate a thread every time you have a thought. [/quote]

I still find it incredible that given your nasty and vindictive history of  posting to me that you continue to have the nerve to say anything to me at all.   However, that aside, 1) I am entitled to start threads whenever I like as long as it is to do with football.2) The thread was about a football match I didn''t see and had formed an opinion from what others had written and I wanted to see if others thought it accurate.    I was asking for perspective not giving it. As for the rest of the personal stuff  from til, lap and yourself, eg "p**sing in the wind" - no-one wants to see it apart from you few so why bother?