Sign in to follow this  
Juggy

Cornelius

Bought by Cardiff for £8.5m in the summer (transfer record), sold back to his old club for £3.5m just six months later. There was also a huge agent fee and Cornelius was paid off, so they have probably recouped nothing. Just written off the asset.

He only got 7 games to make an impact. With Malky having been sacked for spending too much money, and with this player being his biggest flop it could be said that failure to spend such a huge amount on the right striker played a big part in him losing his job.

Are there big similarities with the Van Wolfswinkel deal here? Is his failure the difference between Hughton''s employment being stable and unstable?

Is it possible that any new manager would be forced to do similar big write off if Van Wolfswinkel doesn''t see a drastic change in his fortunes?

And most importantly, does this show that Malky Mackay is completely the wrong man for this club?

On a positive note, Cornelius is probably nailed on favourite for the title of ''biggest flop of 2013/14''.

I had missed that he had been sold back, and you ask a good question regarding Malkay and Norwich City.

As for the Cornelius signing, to me it looked like he had signed him more for the long term and hadnt intended to play him regularly this season. This is different to RVW who I think was signed to play regularly, not every game, but regularly. But, there is a similarity I guess when considering RVW''s low return to date.............but, I dont know why, but I think RVW will come good for us, either by the end of the season or in a second season with us, if that happens.   

As for Malkay''s suitability for our club based on this one example, no, I dont think it proves anything at all. Malkay clearly did a great job for Cardiff City, but did appear to have run out of ideas once he got in to the EPL despite spending a lot of money on his squad. The way his team approached their game at our place and played, for me, demonstrates more why he doesnt appear to be what we would need should we be looking in the future.    

If Malkay comes here as manager it will mean one thing - that we have been relegated.  If we are relegated under Hughton and he loses his job as a result, then Malkay would be  a reasonable option.   But as far as a different manager in the PL,  I don''t see Malkay as being any better than Hughton.