Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Looks like i'll be in some kind of telegraph feature tomorrow on the transfer window

Here''s my 50 words, cba talking about Wes:

Decent cover at centre half, Yobo is in good shape and has the World Cup to play for

Versatile option in midfield and very professional player in Jonas, decent signing

Despite this, i''m underwhelmed as we had money to spend and failed to address our main problem, linking the midfield and attack. Needed someone to spark the fans back into life.

4 out of 10, could do better.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Here''s my 50 words, cba talking about Wes:

Decent cover at centre half, Yobo is in good shape and has the World Cup to play for

Versatile option in midfield and very professional player in Jonas, decent signing

Despite this, i''m underwhelmed as we had money to spend and failed to address our main problem, linking the midfield and attack. Needed someone to spark the fans back into life.

4 out of 10, could do better.[/quote]that is down to Hughton and how we playthe players are good enoughthe manager and his tactics are not

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Here''s my 50 words, cba talking about Wes:

4 out of 10, could do better.[/quote]There is no quick fix, and players are massively overpriced in January.Have some patience, and stop panicking. It''ll be fine.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I just worry we''re lucky to have the points we have. There''s only Hooper really doing his job up that end.[/quote]Sorry but the "its all down to luck" theory doesn''t really bear up to close scrutiny, does it?

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Well none of our wins have really been convincing have they. Certainly the last two games we were lucky to get 4 points from.[/quote]So we don''t need new players, or a change of manager then?We need to buy a lucky rabbit''s foot, and maybe some lucky heather from a passing gypsy, and then we''ll stay up?

It depends how you look at things, if you have a negative attitude, in general, to our team then every win will be either lucky or down to the players disregarding the managers instructions.Someone with a more balanced view would perhaps say you make your own luck by working and training hard.

As we have learned in the past, loan-signings are no good. (just look at the Roeder era).I

can''t believe that despite the board saying we are going to build and

strengthen in January, we have come away with 0 signings and 2 players

in the twilight of their career with nothing to prove, and nothing to

play for.Maybe the board just dont have any trust in Hughton? otherwise we would have atleast made a perm signing to show for it.Hughton''s

days are clearly numbered. If we go down this season, the board have to

solely take the blame for not taking action or making their possition

clear. Complete joke.

[quote user="TheRock"]As we have learned in the past, loan-signings are no good. (just look at the Roeder era).I

play for.Maybe the board just dont have any trust in Hughton? otherwise we would have atleast made a perm signing to show for it.Hughton''s

clear. Complete joke.[/quote]So you think we should have just signed someone, anyone, it doesn''t matter how overpriced he was ( as we all know the January sales are ridiculous) just to calm down the panicky element amongst our fans?Really?Do you not think the more sensible thing to do would be to sign cover until summer, and then look for permanent signings?I''m glad our board doesn''t panic like some of our fans do.

I''m a Hughton fan Morty, I genuinely think he''s a level headed, realistic and screwed on man. But you can''t deny we were fortuitous to get a point against Newcastle, however we have also been unlucky against other teams such as Cardiff. I think luck balances out over the course of the season and you get what you deserve in the end. Tomorrow is a big game though, and the games will only get bigger if we don''t pick up points and ease some pressure soon.

[quote user="Green and Yellow fellow"]I''m a Hughton fan Morty, I genuinely think he''s a level headed, realistic and screwed on man. But you can''t deny we were fortuitous to get a point against Newcastle, however we have also been unlucky against other teams such as Cardiff. I think luck balances out over the course of the season and you get what you deserve in the end. Tomorrow is a big game though, and the games will only get bigger if we don''t pick up points and ease some pressure soon.[/quote]Fortuitous or we worked hard to contain a much better side, depends what colour glasses you''re wearing.People used to say Man Utd teams in recent years were lucky, but if you ever actually watched closely, every team member works incredibly hard.If you run that extra half yard to close a man down, he shoots and hits the post, then you''ll probably find if you hadn''t then he would have scored instead.So I don''t really subscribe to the luck theory I''m afraid.A great golfer, who was called lucky, once said, ""You know what, the more I practise, the luckier I get"A point will be a good result, as what people often forget is that it may only be one point for us, but it denies a relegation rival of two further points.

We needed a Central Defender and a versatile midfielder, a creative number 10 would have been nice but they are not cheap even outside January. As far as I can see we have therefore fulfilled our objective while fending off interest from others in our players. Good job.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="TheRock"]As we have learned in the past, loan-signings are no good. (just look at the Roeder era).I

clear. Complete joke.[/quote]So you think we should have just signed someone, anyone, it doesn''t matter how overpriced he was ( as we all know the January sales are ridiculous) just to calm down the panicky element amongst our fans?Really?Do you not think the more sensible thing to do would be to sign cover until summer, and then look for permanent signings?I''m glad our board doesn''t panic like some of our fans do.[/quote]
There were a fair amount of Free Transfers or players with 6 months left on contracts that were signed by our rivals that would have been good enough for the first team. Heitinga, Ledley, Ince, Holtby. This over priced thing is a myth. Every window has their expensive players. In some regards with players like Ledley would you see him going for less than that in a summer? No, because last summer he still had a year to go, but now they had to take what they could get.

[quote user="morty"]Fortuitous or we worked hard to contain a much better side, depends what colour glasses you''re wearing.[/quote]
Hull hit the post. Newcastle hit the woodwork 3 times. Its fortuitous that we did not concede a goal.[quote user="morty"]
If you run that extra half yard to close a man down, he shoots and hits the post, then you''ll probably find if you hadn''t then he would have scored instead.[/quote]
We rarely do this, we actually stand off and let them have a shot. Remy was almost dared to shoot by us, and most of the times this is how the opposition gains their goals against us. It isn''t luck when they score, it''s fortuitous when they don''t given the amount of gifted chances they get.[quote user="morty"]A point will be a good result, as what people often forget is that it may only be one point for us, but it denies a relegation rival of two further points.[/quote]
Agreed. Although, if it is anything like the Newcastle game I hope we can find a way to score a goal or 2. Hanging on and hoping that they don''t score is no way to play a game of football.

Well done on points 1 & 2 Seattle but I disagree with 3 for this game. A point isn''t 2 denied a competitor, it''s 2 denied us from a game that is there for the taking. They''ve got 1 point from last 18.Why sshould we be the saps who let them off the hook? We need to grab this game by the throat and cash in while we can.

Morty,

Luck is where opportunity and preparedness meet.

Every Saturday we have the opportunity so the more or better prepared we are, the luckier we will be!!

Bearing in mind of course, according to Ben Hogan & Arnold Palmer, the more you pratcice the luckier you get. In other words practice makes perfect, so being perfect and getting results has nothing to do with luck then, just practice and preparation.

Luck is what failures call other people''s success!!

[quote user="Ray"]Morty,

Luck is where opportunity and preparedness meet.

Every Saturday we have the opportunity so the more or better prepared we are, the luckier we will be!!

Bearing in mind of course, according to Ben Hogan & Arnold Palmer, the more you pratcice the luckier you get. In other words practice makes perfect, so being perfect and getting results has nothing to do with luck then, just practice and preparation.

Luck is what failures call other people''s success!![/quote]

So that 0-0 draw on Tuesday had nothing to do with luck. It came from our ability, borne out of practice and preparation, to keep a clean sheet.

Which of the three Newcastle woodwork strikes looked like going in?

If you don''t hit the target you won''t score goals or win games. Rather than us being lucky or fortuitous I thought we remained resolute, disciplined and almost reaped the reward for this late on.

Enjoyed the game too..

It is great that we have the ability to keep a clean sheet.

What is not great is the fact that we have signed a defender and defensive winger in this window and have not sought to address the real issue, which is that we don''t score enough goals.

Darren Eadie said it, Iwan Roberts said it, and a lot of fans agree with them.

Nutty Nigel,

In answer to your question, yes.

I think Arsenal have 10 clean sheets, Chelsea 9 and Man City and Norwich 8.

So we are all meeting opportunity with preparedness or are we all just lucky!

Remember the golfing greats said, the more I practice the luckier I get, well what I do know is that we spend a lot of time at Colney practicing defending.

Yes Ruddy made a string of fine saves, but guess what, that''s what he practices doing throughout the week.

The post and bar are ours, just as the line is the wicket keepers. Who''s to say that if the ball had been going inside the post or just under the bar a defender/keeper wouldn''t have got to it?

If their attacker can''t hit the goal and instead hits the post then so be it, some people would call that lucky for us, when in fact it is his failure.

Agreed Ray. Same with injuries. A big part of preperation for the season will be having the right players in the 25 man squad. I suppose a case could be made for bad luck if all the injuries were to one position though. But I notice Hughton doesn''t hide behind the injuries. Which brings me nicely to the view expressed a lot lately that Wes is not part of his plans. That can''t be true because he''s started 5 times and been in the 18 most times.

Nutty Nigel,

All the injuries to one position would fall into the sh*t happens category. We don''t control the world just the way we think about it.

However, if as a club we are prepared for this scenario by having a damn good crop of younger players waiting for their break, then how ''lucky'' are we. For them it''s opportunity and preparedness meeting.

I wonder how much effort is put into the ''what if'''' situation. In many industries they perform a FMEA (Failure Mode Effects Analysis) and identify contingency actions, etc. There is a defined and documented process for this, I suspect, but would love to proved wrong, that we or any other clubs do not have such a defined and documented process, it''s more likely to be the seat of the pants process beyond ensuring there are two players for every position.

I should think a fair bit is put into the what ifs. The retention of Becchio is surely about a what if all three first choice strikers weren''t available.

Luck?

When your opponents hit the post, or we hit the bar, that''s not luck, that''s bad shooting; just not as bad as sending it out for a throw in.

But when an opponent gets rightly sent off and the referee, unsure exactly what has happened, sends off your own player wrongly, then that certainly is bad luck.

When, as at Hull early in the season, a penalty is awarded at one end but an identical offence ignored at the other that too is bad luck.

And with today''s game in mind when Frazer Campbell can crudely put Tettey out of the game for several months without so much as a booking that is rough in the extreme..

But taking a point or three when we''ve not apparently played well or taking none when we have (Man U game for example), no that''s just part of the game and always will be.

Spot on AF - some people seem desperate to claim pretty-much every point we''ve won as being down to luck. Of course, that is complete rubbish - we have had plenty of bad luck in games as well, and we are where we are.